Subtitles Not Working

robpaolella

robpaolella

I am noticing that subtitles are working fine on the Android app and the web app, but the same subtitles in the same file are not working on the LG WebOS app. I've tried downloading a number of other subtitles for the same file and for other files, and they all seem to have issues (this is happening most notably with Better Call Saul). Other movies, such as the first Hunger Games, I've downloaded 5 or 6 different subtitles and every one of them is delayed to the audio by 3-4 seconds. Are there known issues like this with the subtitles in the LG app?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
KodiTV72

LG don't support all the subtitle formats. PGSSUB are others are not supported.

If you are downloading subtitle files they are likely SRT files. When playing SRT files your the LG app should add a subtitle offset section to the bottom of the subtitle menu. Here you can adjust the timing to match the audio.

G4n0nD0rf

I also can't get subtitle to work with the LG app. Before the latest update, movies with subtitles took forever to load. Since the latest update loading is fixed, but the subtitles aren't there.

56 minutes ago, G4n0nD0rf said:

I also can't get subtitle to work with the LG app. Before the latest update, movies with subtitles took forever to load. Since the latest update loading is fixed, but the subtitles aren't there.

I think the difference now is that playback starts immediately while the subs are still being extracted on the server.  If you keep playing, do the subs start eventually (I would expect within 60 seconds)?

Effectively, the delay is still there (that's the cost of extracting the subs - which should only happen on first playback) but the delay now only affects the time for the subs to appear rather than delaying playback start

KodiTV72

On the LG TV (C9) PGSSUB and other graphics based subs don't display for me. I have just tried 15 minutes of a film with no luck. My Chromecast with Google TV has no problems with these subs. I believe the Google TV supports PGSSUB natively and the LG WebOS does not.

My server settings for Transcoding are set to default with "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" enabled. I am running Version 4.8.0.21 beta.

I have had to disable "Allow video transcoding, if necessary, during media playback" from the Server/User settings. This is because transcoding 4k kills my NAS and results in poor quality (I only use Emby on the LAN). The LG app has recently been causing transcoding to both video and audio when only audio needs adjusting.

Can the Server extract the subtitles to a text based file? i.e. SRT

With video transcoding disabled, is inability to play PGSSUB expected behaviour? I can submit logs etc if necessary.

39 minutes ago, KodiTV72 said:

I have had to disable "Allow video transcoding, if necessary, during media playback" from the Server/User settings. This is because transcoding 4k kills my NAS and results in poor quality (I only use Emby on the LAN). The LG app has recently been causing transcoding to both video and audio when only audio needs adjusting.

Can the Server extract the subtitles to a text based file? i.e. SRT

With video transcoding disabled, is inability to play PGSSUB expected behaviour? I can submit logs etc if necessary.

Hi, yes this is the reason for the problem. LG does not support the PGS format, therefore it has to be burned in with video transcoding. If your server can't handle the transcoding then you might want to check out our subtitle download features to help you acquire plain text subtitles.

KodiTV72

Hi Luke,

Yes I do download SRT from OpenSubtitles. That works but is a bit of a hassle often followed by playing with the offset. Some times I'll extract the PGS to SRT in advance (SubtitleEdit) which retains sync very well.

Is there a way of the Emby server to extract the PGS and send to the LG app as some sort of overlay. Trying to avoid transcoding the video itself.

Or can the Emby server extract the PGS subs to SRT files in advance?

And/or can the LG app hide subtitles that are not compatible, or where the Emby settings stop them being burned in? I understand that PGSSUB won't play on LG app, but it seems my family don't no matter how many times I tell them.

Edited by KodiTV72

And/or can the LG app hide subtitles that are not compatible, or where the Emby settings stop them being burned in? I understand that PGSSUB won't play on LG app, but it seems my family don't no matter how many times I tell them.

There is no option for this but the idea has come up before, so it's always a possibility for future updates.

• 2 weeks later...
G4n0nD0rf

Embedded SRT subtitles also have a delay before starting. Sometimes they don't seem to start at all. I don't use transcoding.

19 hours ago, G4n0nD0rf said:

Embedded SRT subtitles also have a delay before starting. Sometimes they don't seem to start at all. I don't use transcoding.

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

4 hours ago, G4n0nD0rf said:

How do you sideload android apps on a LG tv?

You can't.  I think Luke may have mixed up two different issues.

On 1/30/2023 at 6:30 AM, G4n0nD0rf said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!