Android screen mirror playback issues

Econaut

So I play my media (tv/movie) semi frequently on a mirrored (screencast) display and there is one very nice upside which is that it doesn't force the output display to the phones aspect ratio (which in this case is not 16:9 but whatever oneplus9 has). So normally the mirrored 16:9 display has black bars (seen with plex playback). That's great however I also want the phone to show the same media and it doesn't - it just shows a black screen which may be part of the reason for subsequent issue...

Media pauses every minute or two without any interaction from me. That is to say that the media is paused and I must hit the play button again to resume but I never paused it to begin with - it does this automatically. I assume it has something to do with the screen sleeping however that shouldn't be happening at all with live playback occurring.

If it matters, I am playing back Emby Downloaded local media, no streaming or transcoding occurring.

So those two things:

1. How do I get emby to play show the same media playback on both screens (phone + screencast display)?
  2. How do I get emby to stop auto-pausing?
Edited by Econaut

19 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, how are you starting the screen mirroring? Is this a device connected to your phone?

Screencast is the technology (maybe formerly/alternatively miracast) where the display is wireless. The 'screencast' dongle is plugged into the hdmi port on the TV and the phone wirelessly transmits the display data (2.4 or 5 GHz as I understand it). On the phone, it is an operating system function/capability. Not to be confused with Chromecast but similar concept - where they diverge is that Chromecast typically pulls the data from a stream source while Screencast is 100% driven from phone.

Hope that answers your questions.

Edited by Econaut

10 hours ago, Econaut said:

It seems that incoming notifications appear to be the cause for the pausing. Would love to know of solutions for this.

What type of notifications?

• 2 weeks later...
Econaut
On 9/21/2022 at 1:16 AM, Luke said:

What type of notifications?

Any - things like an email or whatever from any app. So, Push Notifications, if I were to classify.

• 2 weeks later...

@LukeAny ideas on this one? I wish I could get my phone to just stop all notifications for a while but seems impossible. DnD just blocks calls as far as I can tell.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2022 at 2:55 PM, Econaut said:

@LukeAny ideas on this one? I wish I could get my phone to just stop all notifications for a while but seems impossible. DnD just blocks calls as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure yet. Are you still running into this?

On 11/3/2022 at 2:14 PM, Luke said:

I'm not sure yet. Are you still running into this?

Yes, although I've discovered that it may be circumstantial to whether an 'auto screen off' is enabled or not. I usually disable it after screen casting so control is more accessible (or the video playback is visible - not the case for Emby). I discovered however (still not enough data but will keep trying) that if I leave that enabled (screen shuts off after a few minutes) then it appears that no notification-based pausing occurs. Hard to conclude this is the solution since I may actually have not been getting notifications during that last test.

• 2 months later...