DDNS problem with Emby

dieffe70

Hi,

I use My DDNS function from myqnap cloud link for accessing my nas from outside and this work good except that with Emby  free server.

My Ip is almost always the same it rarely changes but when this happen I can't connect with Emby from outside, server is unreachable as if the DDNS isn't working good.. but from QNAP admin I can see the new IP is updated correctly and I can reach other services based on DDNS.

Emby won't work until I'll come back to my usual IP. It seems that hostname for the NAS work only with original IP.

Any idea? Thanks

Yes sure, otherwise I would not be able to connect from remote. Infact I connect mostly with no issues from anyware via SSL also.

But if my router leave the usual IP then Emby it's not reachable anymore from outside, even if my DDNS hostname it's correctly redirecting me to the right IP.

This happening only with Emby service

5 hours ago, dieffe70 said:

Yes sure, otherwise I would not be able to connect from remote. Infact I connect mostly with no issues from anyware via SSL also.

But if my router leave the usual IP then Emby it's not reachable anymore from outside, even if my DDNS hostname it's correctly redirecting me to the right IP.

This happening only with Emby service

What exactly did you configure?

In Lan settings I've put my DDNS hostname (mynas.myddns.com)  in remote address field, and as I said all works like a charm until my IP doesn't change.

While QNAP services based on DDNS still continue to work (as expected). Emby it's not reachable from outside until connection swtich back to my usual IP.

Emby for Android. Emby for Lg TV. Emby Samsung TV, web browser..

all working like expected but they all stop to work because hostname don't go where it should guess

Edited by dieffe70

Well thanks surely your guide is helpful, but fortunately all my DDNS and SSL setup work perfectly.
I'm using the qnap natural DDNS service and the built in SSL certificate from let's encrypt. And I can always reach my NAS from wherever.

Only with Emby if usual IP is changed I have problem in connecting to server, while other NAS services still are ok

On 9/16/2022 at 1:27 PM, dieffe70 said:

Emby for Android. Emby for Lg TV. Emby Samsung TV, web browser..

all working like expected but they all stop to work because hostname don't go where it should guess

I wonder if they are connecting by IP and not host name. How did you establish the initial connection?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...