Which process gets metadata?

Astronut

I am back to trying to get Emby working with Mullvad since Mullvad just gives me vastly better speeds than what I switched to now. However, this does mean I am now facing the same metadata issue, where I am unable to retrieve metadata even having Emby being split-tunneled so as to not use the VPN. When the VPN is turned off, the metadata collection works fine. I am assuming that I need to split tunnel another process to get it working. I was wondering which specific .exe runs to get metadata. Is it done through EmbyServer.exe (which I have tunneled), or another process? Thank you so much.

7 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, try configuring EmbyServer.exe for VPN bypass, but if you find the bypass isn't getting applied, it might be due to this:

https://github.com/dotnet/runtime/issues/47267#issuecomment-764624449

VPN is bypassed for EmbyServer.exe. IPV6 wasn't enabled I enabled it but still no results. If metadata is done through EmbyServer.exe then I honest have no clue why Mullvad won't play nice.

43 minutes ago, Astronut said:

VPN is bypassed for EmbyServer.exe. IPV6 wasn't enabled I enabled it but still no results. If metadata is done through EmbyServer.exe then I honest have no clue why Mullvad won't play nice.

It's explained in my link above. The server could be sending out requests over ipv6 and what we've found is that most VPN's with bypass options are only bypassing over ipv4.

14 hours ago, Luke said:

It's explained in my link above. The server could be sending out requests over ipv6 and what we've found is that most VPN's with bypass options are only bypassing over ipv4.

Gotcha. Yeah looks like enabling IPv6 doesn't work as a solution on their end. Sucks but it is what it is. Thanks Luke! If I ever figure anything out I'll edit this post.

Edited by Astronut

41 minutes ago, Astronut said:

Gotcha. Yeah looks like enabling IPv6 doesn't work as a solution on their end. Sucks but it is what it is. Thanks Luke! If I ever figure anything out I'll edit this post.

Alright! I managed to get this working through OpenVPN. I used the guides linked down below pretty simple. Standard OpenVPN GUI client. Have confirmed that metadata transfer works just fine and that only the programs I want tunneled are tunneled. Writing this stuff out in case anyone else runs into this issue.

https://mullvad.net/en/help/split-tunneling-mullvad-vpn/

https://mullvad.net/en/help/socks5-proxy/#testing

Edited by Astronut
  • Thanks 2