Emby Android Server USB Drive Can't Read Directory

jscheeren

jscheeren

G'day,

Running Emby Server 4.7.6.0 on a Samsung Tab A7 Lite with Android 12, but cannot find any content i.e. directories, on attached Samsung 2TB SSD T7 Shield ExFat formatted USB drive.

Google Files (shows it as PSSD T7 Shield) and X-plore (shows it as /mnt/media_rw/DCFE-9049) and they can read all content on drive and Android can read content and sees it as mounted as /storage/3865-6132.

I have tried many many times all combos of these paths to manually enter in library add settings in Emby Server to no avail. None of the paths shown by Emby add library by default point to this USB device.

I also tried Emby Android Server beta 4.8.0.8 on a Samsung S10 running Android 12, with the same results - i.e. could not create any libraries.

However, I can see the aforementioned USB SSD storage "disk" from Emby library setup if I use my Samsung Tab A (2018) which has Android 10 and Emby Server 4.5.2. Also worked fine when I upgraded Emby to 4.7.60 on that device.

The USB drive also works fine for Windows Emby Server.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jan

Edited by jscheeren
edit

What you're trying to do IMHO is not a good idea as your main server and may leave a bad impression of Emby Server when the issues will not be due to Emby at all.

The Samsung Tab A7 Lite falls short in almost every category of what you want/need for running a media server.  It has very limited actual RAM, it has limited onboard storage that won't support much in the way of meta-data. The SD slot is out for general use as SD drives are very slow by todays standards.  You won't have an Ethernet connection unless you use some kind of dongle which isn't going to be idea.  Running your main server over WIFI is never recommended over using Ethernet.  I don't think you will have hardware transcoding available with on the A7 lite using a Cortex CPU. Last but not least tablets aren't designed thermally to handle server loads or heavy CPU bound processing that can certainly happen transcoding in software. The A7 would have to be plugged in 100% of the time for power which will also be "charging" the non-replaceable battery adding even more heat to the system.

Don't get me wrong, Emby will run on it just like it does with just about any Android phone sold these days. They are great for personal use, maybe powering a vehicle & hotel system during long trips and vacation but not ideal as you're only or main server that will be available 24/7.

Everything mentioned thus far would make a very nice client but wasn't designed for server use even though Emby can make it work as such.  You could find a used small platform computer such as an OptiPlex or similar on eBay with an i5 and QuickSync pretty cheap that would be much better all around.  I purchased 6 of them with 8GB Memory for $120 including shipping (no HDDs).  They run Windows or Linux very well.

With that said using external storage via USB3 with Android can be a bit tricky as each manufacture and OS version seems to have quirks about the format of the drive, the location the media is stored and some require only the use of capital letters in folder names.  Some Android versions will only allow the use of external media if it's located in a specific location which it will aloow access to but not allow direct access by apps to something like /media/movies..  Then there is also normal security privileges that will be required regardless of OS or platform.  You will need to setup read/write access to the media folders giving access to the user on the tablet that is running Emby Server.

On 9/11/2022 at 3:21 PM, jscheeren said:

Google Files (shows it as PSSD T7 Shield) and X-plore (shows it as /mnt/media_rw/DCFE-9049) and they can read all content on drive and Android can read content and sees it as mounted as /storage/3865-6132.

That looks like 3 different mappings to the same data. What I would suggest is trying to use x-plore to set access writes for the Android username running Emby Server so that Emby has access. As long as the tablet doesn't have one of the "restrictions" mentioned above you should then be able to browse to the directory when setting up a library and using the GUI to navigate the directory structure. The /mnt/ location appears to use a Linux/Unix style mount while the /storage/ based mount above is very Android like.  You'll likely need to try both after adjusting rights.

Carlo

Let us know what you find or how far you make out.

jscheeren

Thank you Cayars for your detailed response. @cayars

This setup is for travel only, especially long flights, or anywhere without internet. The video library is shared with family, even on flights, by turning on Mobile Hotspot which provides a WiFi LAN and additional power is provided by a 20000mAh Portable Charger and all connected by a USB C hub.

Emby is by far the very best solution for this that I have found and ran fine on my Samsung S10 smartphone when it was running Android 10.  I have 3 other Emby servers running on powerful PCs with Windows 11 that we can remotely connect to when travelling if there is access to reasonable internet.

My problem presented in this posting is just with Emby Server running on Android 12 and being able to read the connected USB SSD drive and its directory structure. Android itself shows the storage as mounted and readable. Emby Android Server can do this fine on my Samsung Tab A (2018) which has Android 10, but this device does not have Mobile Hotspot. I have mostly 720 or lower content as either .mkv for movies and .avi for TV Series, so transcoding is not as big an issue.

Maybe the key here is your comment "trying to use x-plore to get access writes for the Android username running Emby Server." Could you be so kind to provide some clues how to do that in X-plore. I had turned on previously in Android settings the permissions for Emby Server to access storage.

Cheers,

Jan

Yep, that's an ideal use/setup and usually works really well once you get past the android file security issues that the last couple Android versions seem to bring to the table.

I don't know the specifics of what the Samsung tablet will require as far as any specific locations or what exactly the access rights will look like.  Each Android platform (brand/version) might be different. I think you've already seen this yourself as this setup is different than on your phone.

Are you able to use Emby Server's Library setup to add a location (not typing in the path) using just the GUI?  You should be able to back up to the root then for example to mnt, etc.  How much of the path /mnt/media_rw/DCFE-9049 can you navigate using Emby Server in the library setup? That will give a clue as to the parent folder Emby doesn't have access to (needing a change).

Another question.  How did you put the current media that is on the external HDD at present?  Did you attach the drive to a PC, create the folders and copy the files?  If so the security is likely going to be a copy of how the PC sees things, not Android.

I'd try creating a new folder on the device like "media" then under this "movies".  Create this from Android itself.  Now try downloading a movie on android and copy it to the /media/movies folder (haven't used a PC yet).  Can you add this to Emby? That test would have everything using the same username which I assume is also the username running Emby.

If you get that working I'd then try setting up samba sharing on Android so you can access the attached USB drive via windows on your PC. That would allow you to see access rights from the PC as well as copy files. Unfortunately, unless another person with a similar setup knows the sequence and can elaborate it's going to be a bit of trial and error.  As an alternate method you could try dismounting the USB drive and plugging it into a PC and looking at both file and directory properties related to permissions.

Unfortunately, there wouldn't be a lot I could help you with remotely as there is no easy/good way to remote into an Android tablet.  You can run Teamviewer on it but it's pretty limited in what it can do.  I'd still offer to try and do a remote session, if need be, but you have a couple more things you can try first. 

Carlo

jscheeren

Cayers/Carlo, @cayars

Thanks yet again for your detailed response.

I actually do not understand really the Android directory structures. A lot of it seems to me not logical, especially when dealing with storage.

"Are you able to use Emby Server's Library setup to add a location (not typing in the path) using just the GUI"....No, and I have tried everything including typing in the full paths, or even just / or /mnt. The other storage devices (ie SD Card) do show up in the GUI (as in Android 10 but in 10 it can list the new USB drive under /storage.)

"How much of the path /mnt/media_rw/DCFE-9049 can you navigate using Emby Server in the library setup".....None, as I can't even get to /mnt/ manually, or via GUI." Same therefore true for /storage

"How did you put the current media that is on the external HDD at present"....All of it was put on there from a Windows 11 PC using ViceVersa Pro, and that media data could be navigated to by Emby Server on Android 10.

I tried your suggestions and formatted with Android settings another drive (256 GB card) but again, X-plore could see this fine and it showed in the Android Quick Settings as mounted and accessible, but Emby library add still could not see it in the GUI, or find it with path entered manually.

I can say that another Android 12 program that I have, called MediaMonkey, did prompt me with dialog that required me to specify which directory I was giving it permission to read from on both my SSD and then the reformatted USB card drive, but obviously that app could see it to start with.

This is what the Emby add Library GUI lists currently on my the Tab A7 SSD media drive:

/odm

/prism

/system

/vendor

/optics

/product

/storage/3865-6132

/storage/emulated/0

And then

/apex and its sub-directories

I am running TeamViewer QuickSupport on the Samsung Tab A7 Lite currently and you could remotely both see the GUI and navigate and execute apps i.e. control. I would be very happy to give you the ID if you would like to give it a go. BTW I am leaving on our trip on this Sunday, which is why I was trying to get this going, so will not be available to TeamViewer for two weeks after that. Also, I am on EST.

Best,

Jan

Edited by jscheeren
edit

5 hours ago, jscheeren said:

"Are you able to use Emby Server's Library setup to add a location (not typing in the path) using just the GUI"....No, and I have tried everything including typing in the full paths, or even just / or /mnt. The other storage devices (ie SD Card) do show up in the GUI (as in Android 10 but in 10 it can list the new USB drive under /storage.)

That would seem to indicate either that location is off limits or the user running Emby doesn't have permission to that area.  Emby won't have access to any location other than where it's installed unless you grant it permission. Some Android systems do have a "public or everyone" folder that all apps have access to as well. Unfortunately, it's not consistent across different devices so it's trial and error.

/storage/3865-6132 was a location you mentioned in the first post as being the same in X-plore. What do you see under that in both Emby and X-plore?

I've not used ViceVersa Pro.  Is that an app that allows you to copy files over the network to the "server"?

Have you ever plugged the USB drive into a PC to look at the directory/file permissions?

I'm in the EST zone as well and sending you a PM.  You may want to edit the message above to remove your personal info.

Edited by cayars

jscheeren

Cayers, @cayars

"/storage/3865-6132 was a location you mentioned in the first post as being the same in X-plore. What do you see under that in both Emby and X-plore?".....Can't see it in Emby at all. X-plore now sees it as /mnt/media_rw/DCFE-9049. 

"I've not used ViceVersa Pro"...... Its a Windows directory syncing app which uses Microsoft file copying. I used it to sync the data in 2 media libraries to the SSD external disk whilst connected to that PC.

"Have you ever plugged the USB drive into a PC to look at the directory/file permissions?"....No, but the original media directories and all files on the PC are shared for everyone for read and write.

Look forward to a Teamviewer session.

Cheers,

Jan

PS This link even though a bit old may be of interest as a starting point:

Cannot access USB-drive path after Android 11 upgrade [176617573] - Visible to Public - Issue Tracker (google.com)

Send me a PM and let's setup a remote session so we can try and find a solution together.
It will likely be faster than trading messages here in the forum!

We can then post the solution for the next person!

Carlo

• 3 weeks later...
jscheeren

G'day Luke,

Unfortunately no. Emby Android Server just could not read any data on the attached USB drive, as it could not even see that drive, despite a considerable effort on a Sunday by @cayers via TeamViewer to do so. It can read that drive under Android 10, but not 12.

Jan

Edited by jscheeren

@Luke Only certain Android apps like FileManagers after receiving permission were able to access the USB drive.
It's quite possible it can't be done, but more than likely it has some special way the external drive needs to be setup to be made available to normal apps.

I tried all the common methods I know of as well as trying a couple additional thing like trying to setup the external drive as a SMB share which could have allowed us to access the drive via networking but it was a no go.

Besides using the Shield TV which we have good documentation for I wouldn't recommend someone go out and purchase an Android TV device to intentionally use as a server (full time or travel) as Raspberry Pi 4B can be had in the same price range and offer a much easier setup that just works and comes with a lot of additional features such as being able to be powered by 12 volts  (car), not needing a separate wifi travel router, can use NVMe, thumb drives, USB3 Drives for storage (without fighting the system). In a hotel room with Ethernet it can also function as a wifi interface for your phones and tablets.

jscheeren

Thanks so much again Cayars,

You gave it the royal try. This was a disappointment as the advantage of using an Android tablet or smartphone as an Emby server with an OTG hard disk (now USB C), just as was possible before Android 11, was fantastic. Not only may these be already owned, but they are of course very portable, useful of course for other purposes, and operate with a portable 5v power backup device (connected via a USB hub) both which may also be already owned.

I am gob-smacked that Google does not provide a way for Android Apps to access an attached USB hard disk after Android 10.

Best,

Jan

• 5 months later...
jscheeren

G'day,

As an update, I tried again to set this up Emby server (latest version just downloaded 2 days ago) on a Samsung Tablet A7 running Android 12. I discovered that all video files can still be read and played with X-Plore and I suspect other aps. In other words, the drive (an external 2TB SSD) can be accessed OK in Android 12, but unfortunately, this drive can still not even be seen by Emby server.

Best,

Jan

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
GregMo

Yeah, in order for Emby or any other app to access a USB drive the app has to request the permission.  I've hunted and hunted for a way around this but none exists outside of rooting the phone.

jscheeren

GregMo. Yes, it seems to be quite an issue, but some developers manage it without rooting, but it must be difficult, otherwise more developers would do it!

Perhaps it could be a demand and supply decision, whether to tackle Google's security implementations with Android 10 and up, or not.

GregMo

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.  Any app can request the permission and then it will work.  If the app doesn't do this, the only other *for sure* option is to root the phone.  I did find a work around that is working for me, so far.  You can check the board for my posts in the top 4 or 5 posts here.

jscheeren

FYI Just installed Android 13 today on the Samsung tablet and suddenly Kodi Ver 20 is able to read the attached USB 2TB drive and play videos. I have no idea why. I tried Emby Server latest beta version again but it still cannot see the drive.

GregMo

From what I've read on other posts from Luke, and my own experience, Emby doesn't work at all on Android 12 and 13.

It's an issue with Emby Server on android 12 and 13 that we're looking into. Thanks.

• 11 months later...
kakashi55
On 4/2/2023 at 6:42 AM, GregMo said:

I did find a work around that is working for me

Hi, can you please share me your workaround to access external hdd/ssd on Android server. I checked your posts but couldn't find it.

Thanks.

kakashi55
On 4/10/2023 at 6:02 AM, jscheeren said:

FYI Just installed Android 13 today on the Samsung tablet and suddenly Kodi Ver 20 is able to read the attached USB 2TB drive and play videos. I have no idea why. I tried Emby Server latest beta version again but it still cannot see the drive.

Hi, have you found any solution?

@GregMo found a workaround for this problem but I couldn't implement his solution. Here is link to his post.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/117591-feature-requests/&do=findComment&comment=1240567

As suggested by @GregMo, I used "Microsoft exFAT/NTFS for USB by Paragon" app but couldn't figure out what path to enter in Emby.

I tried entering "/mnt/media_rw/A0865C97865C7030/Movies" but that didn't work.

Please Help! 

kakashi55
On 4/15/2023 at 8:03 AM, Luke said:

It's an issue with Emby Server on android 12 and 13 that we're looking into. Thanks.

Hi, is there any update to this issue ? 

I am running Emby Server 4.9.0.4 on Android 12 phone. Emby can't access USB OTG hdd/ssd.

Thanks.