5G T-Mobile Remote Access issues

aletomic

Hi -

I just swapped today my cable network with a new 5G Home Internet T-Mobile and not sure what is happening but remote access doesn't work anymore. The devices in the network they have access but anything external can't access it anymore. Do I need to reset the remote access with some command to refresh the IP? Sorry if I'm not making sense but wondering if someone experienced something similar. Any inputs are welcome.

Thanks 

Hello aletomic,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

20 minutes ago, Bottles51 said:

You can not port forward with t-Mobil 5g. that is going to be a problem.

Around 5:40

Oh Crap! That is what I was afraid of. That is why I mentioned the internet provider since this is something new and I'm not sure that others tried it extensively in the community here. He mentioned something about an access point to port forward, I wonder what type of hardware that would be. I have a Google Wifi router and a Netgear modem, would be good if I can do something with them to solve this issue. Does anybody know what kind of Frankstein I need to build?

Thank you for this finding/input, really very welcome.

Edited by aletomic

If its just you accessing emby on remote devices, then you may be able to use something like tailscale to get access to your LAN.

Ports mapping is not required with that.

I recently installed tailscale on an old rasberry pi and turned on 'advertised routes' for my home subnet, then on my phone, or laptop remotely, I can run the tailscale client (on laptop) or VPN (on ipad/iphone), and it is as if I am in my home LAN still and I can access everything as if I am at my desk at home.  Using advertised routes means I don't have to install a tailscale client on all the things I may need to access.  I don't personally use this for emby (as I have a cloudflare tunnel - which incidentally, would also work but may be too technical), but I do use it for everything else.  Its secure, using wireguard under the covers, and I have google accounts with multi factor enabled for access to my 'tailnet'.

Bottles51

Possibly see if the isp can shut off the router side on there device and try your own router. Not sure if that will work though. You still may have to open ports on there device im not completely sure. I have a similar setup with at+t as I don't use there device for my network. Worth a shot!

I wonder if the Emby associates have any formal direction or recommendation on this topic. I'm about to cancel the T-Mobile 5G Home Internet before I have the experience time expiring. 

I looked to make a port forward on the Google Wifi that I have, tried a couple of different configurations and nothing really worked. I called the T-Mobile support and they said that I should be able to port forward using a router like the Google Wifi and that I should contact Google. Google pointed to me this:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/6274503?hl=en#zippy=%2Cwhen-do-i-need-port-forwarding-or-port-opening

Again, the above instructions didn't help. I tried to follow the steps added the port 8096 on the Port Forwarding on Google Wifi Router but no WAN connection. 

At the end of the day if we had some instruction on the Emby portal about how to to port forward for Emby that would be great. Otherwise I'm going to be forced to return it and stay with the Spectrum. 

Thanks

Edited by aletomic

Bottles51

You will end up with a double wan if you do not disable your isp and use it as a modem only. If its not disabled you have to open ports on both.

Happy2Play

These 5G Home Gateways do not have port forwarding capabilities.  It is a CGNAT.  Did a free trial for about a week and our connection speeds were garage with multiple users so it wasn't worth is here.

@cayarsYou have some advice here?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bottles51 said:

Possibly see if the isp can shut off the router side on there device and try your own router. Not sure if that will work though. You still may have to open ports on there device im not completely sure. I have a similar setup with at+t as I don't use there device for my network. Worth a shot!

This is a no-go. TMHI is using CGNAT with IPv6 on the cellular side (connection to the Internet). No functional/forwardable IPv4 address, no port-forwarding. VPN (i.e.; TailScale or other) is the only way to access Emby from outside with TMHI. That said, it's not difficult, and I still like TMHI better than my only alternative of Xfinity.

But everyone has to do what works and is right for them in their situation.

With cgnat , no amount of messing with a router will help.  It is impossible to port forward.  Only option is to tunnel in some way (tailscale, cloudflare tunnel etc).  Ignoring the 4g/5g isp’s there are others that put cgnat in my default, then you have to state why you want a real ip instead (to port forward), yet I hear of more and more isp’s just not allowing it regardless,  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, vaise said:

With cgnat , no amount of messing with a router will help.  It is impossible to port forward.  Only option is to tunnel in some way (tailscale, cloudflare tunnel etc).  Ignoring the 4g/5g isp’s there are others that put cgnat in my default, then you have to state why you want a real ip instead (to port forward), yet I hear of more and more isp’s just not allowing it regardless,  

I think that is the final nail in the coffin. I'm returning it. Thank you all. Hope someday T-Mobile will be able to work their 5G Internet Home with Media Shares like Emby on WAN.

Edited by aletomic

Cloudflared tunnel is the way to go IMHO as well.

Next to that or if not available would be to get a cheap cloud VM that you can use as a tunnel. You connect from home to the VM there by getting past the CGNAT and then setup up forwarding of the VM public IP down the tunnel.  No special software or anything needed on any clients so it's similar to the Cloudflared tunnel method only ran by the admin. You could get fancy and add a proxy as well to the VM.

Selecting host or VM plans you likely want to make sure it's unlimited bandwidth so there is no surprise end of month billing and verify you get at least 100MB bandwidth (or whatever you need) so you have no issues streaming to X number of clients at the same time.

Lots of tutorials for setting this type of thing up usually for web or game servers but the same thing just different ports.  Typically you can find a guide for a specific host as well making it really easy to setup.

For info..... I had the same issue in the UK using EE which of course uses CGNAT. Got round the problem by using Windscribe VPN, then setting port forwarding through that. I use Unraid, installed OPENVPN-Client docker, then pointed emby at that for its connection.

Really simple, and haven't looked back ever since.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
Feralsparky1

Just wanted to clarify for anyone who's wondering what CGNAT is from a consumer standpoint.

Instead of your modem getting a unique IP address from your ISP. They are using a CGNAT. They take a single IP at the node you connect to and create sub-net's inside of it.

Traditional ISP (IP address from isp<your modem<your network<your devices)

CGNAT (IP from isp<distribution node<ip from node to your modem<your network<your devices)

Everyone connected to the node has the same IP address. So opening the port for you would open it for everyone which is bad. It would also have to be done by the ISP at the node.

• 7 months later...
Notryt01

I have the same problem. When I switched to the tmobile 5g home internet emby no longer broadcasts

7 hours ago, Notryt01 said:

I have the same problem. When I switched to the tmobile 5g home internet emby no longer broadcasts

HI, what do you mean by "no longer broadcasts" ?

Feralsparky1

By default you can't access emby outside your network using tmobile home internet as you can't forward the port. 

On 3/16/2024 at 11:11 AM, Feralsparky1 said:

By default you can't access emby outside your network using tmobile home internet as you can't forward the port. 

Hi, is tbmobile using a CGNat? You may need to setup TailScale or a VPN if so.

Feralsparky1
9 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, is tbmobile using a CGNat? You may need to setup TailScale or a VPN if so.

It does. I almost switched to their service until I noticed that and decided against it as I run a homelab.

• Thanks 1