Emby Android TV software decoding Dolby audio instead of passthrough

mrmorrison

- Emby SIDELOAD on Sony Bravia: Stats for nerds reports direct playback but that's not the truth.

@mrmorrison why exactly do you think that it's not the truth? 

mrmorrison

@Luke

Hi Luke!
Because I take the same file as proof, I first use Emby installed on the TV and then Emby installed on Chromecast With Google Tv. In this specific case I use an episode of "House of dragon" because it starts immediately with a song theme that has a nice sound. I start first with one device (about 10 seconds) and then with the other and I feel that the sound when I use CCwGTV is superior, it is more full-bodied, you can hear more the rings spinning in the background (if you saw the theme song of House of Dragon you would realize what I'm talking about). I realized it in this way, having the possibility to do the same things with two different devices.
If I use the sidelod app it doesn't change anything on the TV. The sound is lower, it is actually lower, less full-bodied, with less nuances. I do not know how to explain.

Edit

I add: if I use Kodi (on Sony Tv) the audio is identical to what is reproduced with CCwGTV with Emby.

I also mention the problem that the Emby app has when there is an audio track that is defined as "Default". Even if I change the track to use, selecting a track that is compatible with my system, the app reports that it is doing the decoding. This problem does not occur if, through Windows programs, you remove the default trace flag, but it seems like a temporary solution to me. Have you had the opportunity to verify this too?

Edited by mrmorrison

• 2 weeks later...
mrmorrison

Hi!

Any news here?

EDIT

Could the lower, less full-bodied audio problem be caused by downmix to 2.0 with the optical connection?

Although I do not understand why it has this behavior with the app on the TV and not with the app on Chromecast wGTV

Edited by mrmorrison

• 6 months later...
mrmorrison

Hi everyone. I recently tried using the "Emby for Android" app and unlike the "Emby for Android TV" app, it can pass AC3 directly and without decoding.
This still hasn't been fixed in the Emby Android TV app.

Is it possible to get some information about it? I redeemed the application and I would like it not to use audio track decoding that is perfectly compatible with my system.

1 hour ago, mrmorrison said:

unlike the "Emby for Android TV" app, it can pass AC3 directly and without decoding

Hi.  The TV app can also do this.  Please create a post with details of the issue you are having.

mrmorrison
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The TV app can also do this.  Please create a post with details of the issue you are having.

Hi ebr.

The first post in this thread already explained my problem.
The Emby player (from the Emby app for Android TV) performs Dolby Digital software decoding even when it is not needed.
Dolby Digital is fully supported by my setup.

Using the function for nerds, you notice the wording "software decode" (direct in Emby for Android). I'm sure this is happening because comparing it with an external player (just player, which doesn't decode anything) you can hear a big difference in the sound.

Edited by mrmorrison

So, this is with an optical connection, correct?  If so, you would need to change the settings in Android to indicate that AC3 is supported.

mrmorrison
3 hours ago, ebr said:

So, this is with an optical connection, correct?  If so, you would need to change the settings in Android to indicate that AC3 is supported.

Hi.. in the android settings it is implied that AC3 is supported.

This from Sony spec:

image.png.77045f12954e189341e2997e1041b2aa.png

in applications like Kodi I can easily play AC3 directly because in the settings there is an option "Allow passthrough" where you specify which formats should not be decoded.
Isn't it possible to do something like this in Emby?

I prefer your app but this made me quit Emby Premiere and come back to other readers.
Why does it go direct on Emby for Android and not on Emby for Android TV? My settings are still the same

If the problem lies in the Sony TV's Android settings, then no player could pass AC3 direct. But kodi does it. And also Emby For Android

I'm doing it wrong?

My settings:

image.png.b302fe2048e2dc7c3107d0ba24b4ba4b.png

Edited by mrmorrison

mrmorrison

By the way, I saw that there are several discussions here where this problem is pointed out for those who use optical cable and the suggested solution is always to install Emby for Andorid (not TV). But I paid for the other app and if it works on one I don't understand why it shouldn't work on the other. Can you explain?

35 minutes ago, mrmorrison said:

By the way, I saw that there are several discussions here where this problem is pointed out for those who use optical cable and the suggested solution is always to install Emby for Andorid (not TV). But I paid for the other app and if it works on one I don't understand why it shouldn't work on the other. Can you explain?

We are in the process of moving to the standard (single) app on all Android platforms.  So that is the ultimate solution.

mrmorrison
2 hours ago, ebr said:

We are in the process of moving to the standard (single) app on all Android platforms.  So that is the ultimate solution.

What about the people who bought the android tv app?

Anything to say about this?

4 hours ago, mrmorrison said:

Why does it go direct on Emby for Android and not on Emby for Android TV? My settings are still the same

If the problem lies in the Sony TV's Android settings, then no player could pass AC3 direct. But kodi does it. And also Emby For Android

I'm doing it wrong?

16 hours ago, mrmorrison said:

What about the people who bought the android tv app?

That will be dealt with.  You won't lose anything.

16 hours ago, mrmorrison said:

Anything to say about this?

The standard app has had more development in the area of optical support.  We don't plan to re-do that development in the other app since we are moving away from it.