Show watched but not empty folders

JoshFink

JoshFink

This might need to be added somewhere else but I thought it would ask here since I use the Emby on the Android TV app. 

I have multiple libraries but one is a working tv library where my wife and I watch and delete as we finish shows. New show shows up , we watch it and delete it. Sometimes she will watch a show without me and then leave it watched but not delete it. The problem I’m having with the Emby app is that it will show empty folders with no episodes in the list. I can filter out played episodes which removes this but then it can’t find the episodes that my wife has watched and are waiting for me to watch. I, along time ago, used to be able to hide the folder in windows and it would hide in the list view on Emby. That doesn’t seem to be the case any more. 

Can anyone think of a workaround? This hasn’t bothered me for a while as I was using Kodi as a front end to Emby. However Kodi is laggy and I’m kind of sick of it. I’d rather not search for alternatives as I like Emby (though I have a lifetime Plex sub as well). 

Thanks for the help. 

What happens if you change the library to Video View instead of Folder View, and don't filter out watched episodes? It should list all video files in the library, and the eps your wife has watched should simply be ticked.

JoshFink
4 hours ago, n7of9 said:

What happens if you change the library to Video View instead of Folder View, and don't filter out watched episodes? It should list all video files in the library, and the eps your wife has watched should simply be ticked.

Thanks. I’m not actually sure what you mean. Maybe it’s just early and my mind isn’t awake. 

The problem I’m having with the Emby app is that it will show empty folders with no episodes in the list.

Hi, what screen are you seeing this on exactly? How does the web app compare?

JoshFink
On 9/12/2022 at 5:05 PM, Luke said:

Wow. .I didn't get this until now. Let me get you the info. 

• Thanks 1

JoshFink
On 9/12/2022 at 5:05 PM, Luke said:

Hi @Luke, sorry for the delay. 

Here are the two screens from the AndroidTV app. Top one is filtered (I selected the red icon on the right) on unplayed. However that's not exactly what I want as I wanted to see all folders EXCEPT the ones where there are no episodes left. 

Bottom one is unfiltered showing all but it shows with no episodes like Irwins and The Crown. 

The web app seems to have the same behavior. 

I've been using Kodi to get the behavior I need but I would much rather use the native apps. 

Thanks

Emby.png

On 9/10/2022 at 2:50 PM, JoshFink said:

This might need to be added somewhere else but I thought it would ask here since I use the Emby on the Android TV app. 

I have multiple libraries but one is a working tv library where my wife and I watch and delete as we finish shows. New show shows up , we watch it and delete it. Sometimes she will watch a show without me and then leave it watched but not delete it. The problem I’m having with the Emby app is that it will show empty folders with no episodes in the list. I can filter out played episodes which removes this but then it can’t find the episodes that my wife has watched and are waiting for me to watch. I, along time ago, used to be able to hide the folder in windows and it would hide in the list view on Emby. That doesn’t seem to be the case any more. 

Can anyone think of a workaround? This hasn’t bothered me for a while as I was using Kodi as a front end to Emby. However Kodi is laggy and I’m kind of sick of it. I’d rather not search for alternatives as I like Emby (though I have a lifetime Plex sub as well). 

Thanks for the help. 

Are you both watching as the same Emby user? Have you thought about creating individual users, so the Emby views would be driven by your separate watched histories?

JoshFink
6 minutes ago, roaku said:

Are you both watching as the same Emby user? Have you thought about creating individual users, so the Emby views would be driven by your separate watched histories?

We have tried in the early days, as you can see I've been on here for a while,  and couldn't get past the extra work. We watch a lot together and a lot apart. In the early days of MediaBrowser I would have a script that would look for folders of less than a certain size and then hide them, this would remove them from MB and would disappear from the view. Then when shows were added it would un-hide them. Worked great. That stopped working I believe a while ago so I switched to using Emby and Kodi . Kodi is getting finicky so I wanted to use a native tool. Emby is my preferred goto if possible. 

Edited by JoshFink

9 minutes ago, JoshFink said:

We have tried in the early days, as you can see I've been on here for a while,  and couldn't get past the extra work. We watch a lot together and a lot apart. In the early days of MediaBrowser I would have a script that would look for folders of less than a certain size and then hide them, this would remove them from MB and would disappear from the view. Then when shows were added it would un-hide them. Worked great. That stopped working I believe a while ago so I switched to using Emby and Kodi . Kodi is getting finicky so I wanted to use a native tool. Emby is my preferred goto if possible. 

Well, if the devs end up not wanting to accommodate your case, I wonder if something like this user sync plugin could help make your life easier in some way.

JoshFink
50 minutes ago, Luke said:

Curious why is the unplayed filter not sufficient?

Well, Maybe I'm just in the minority here? The 'All' filter would actually be fine IF it didn't show these empty folders that have no episodes. The problem with UnPlayed and Played, for me, is that I can't know , at a glance what I need to watch. Unplayed doesn't show me things that might have been watched that I haven't gotten to yet. 

Again, maybe my use case is so unique that Emby doesn't work for me any more. Like I mentioned, I could work around this before by hiding folders with no episodes that still need to be there for future episodes. However, that doesn't seem to work any more. 

Thanks

JoshFink
55 minutes ago, roaku said:

Well, if the devs end up not wanting to accommodate your case, I wonder if something like this user sync plugin could help make your life easier in some way.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll read more about it. I'm not sure if that would help as I would still have the problem of empty folders showing up even though there are no episodes. I don't know.

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, JoshFink said:

The 'All' filter would actually be fine IF it didn't show these empty folders that have no episodes.

What is your definition of an empty folder?  As Emby does not show empty Series folders, it has to have sub folders/Season X in it to be seen via Shows.

So a true empty show folder would look like this and technically not exist as it is just a folder not an actual Series only available via Folder tab.

image.thumb.png.bf08c8b5f9b16f6a885ac4015ce12c0a.png

image.thumb.png.f49271184d5d3928956046a626805c2d.png

So a Show and Season folder will not make an Empty Show.  And an Empty show is technically removed from the database.

JoshFink
10 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

What is your definition of an empty folder?  As Emby does not show empty Series folders, it has to have sub folders/Season X in it to be seen via Shows.

So a true empty show folder would look like this and technically not exist as it is just a folder not an actual Series only available via Folder tab.

So a Show and Season folder will not make an Empty Show.  And an Empty show is technically removed from the database.

Hi, thanks... 

So, to me, and perhaps it's not programmatically like this and empty folder is a folder with no episodes. If I have a TV and all the episodes have been deleted but the structure of the show looks like this:

Show Name
----- Season 01
------- <No Episodes>

I would expect, wrongly it seems, it not to show up as there is nothing to see in there. 

That's what I was thinking of as an "empty folder". After typing it out, I get it's not an empty folder. Perhaps an "Empty Show" or "Show without Episodes" is a better explanation. 

Thanks

Happy2Play

@JoshFink Yes as there is zero distinction between with or without episodes as it is a Show placeholder.  But Empty Shows always show as Played.

JoshFink
15 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@JoshFink Yes as there is zero distinction between with or without episodes as it is a Show placeholder.  But Empty Shows always show as Played.

Ok. Well, I appreciate your help. I guess it's time for me to finally hang up my Emby/MB and find something that works a little better in my family. Unless I can find a workaround, which I might have an idea. It's been a good run. 

Thanks