Cannot Access Server

troshalom

troshalom

I cannot access the server. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it several times. For some reason it is asking for a password that I did not set. I attempted to recover this password and the folder /home/emby/passwordreset.txt does not exist on my server. I do not understand why uninstalling it would not remove whatever settings this server set, so that I can start from scratch. I even set up a new account with a password on Emby's website and attempted to establish new credentials on my server and cannot sign in. This is very frustrating. @cayars

How can I access this app? 

Hi troshalom,

Creating an Emby Connect account isn't going to do you any good as it's not connected to your server. An EC account would need to be linked to a specific user on your server requiring access as admin to the server.  When you uninstall Emby it doesn't remove core config files otherwise it would trip up people who uninstall apps before installing new versions.

If Emby wrote the address as "/home/emby/passwordreset.txt" then it will be at that location. This will not be a location you can normally use any GUI NAS tool to access, nor can you get to it as a normal user.  The process of resetting an Emby Admin account require the NAS user to be an admin/root user as well to make sure this is the admin of the NAS resetting the password and not just a normal user trying to do the reset.

The way you would normally be required by most NAS or Linux system to access this file is to enable SSH on the system.  Then you will need to grant SSH privs to your username. Next you will need to SSH into the NAS and turn into the root user using the SU (super user) command.  At that point from the command line you can change to that location and easily access the password file directions.

It's actually a very simple process that almost any Linux admin could do in just a few seconds but may seem like a lot of info to a NAS owner who isn't used to or hasn't used the command line of the NAS. Your NAS control panel app will have a section for telnet/ssh to turn on/off SSH use. There is normally a checkbox or similar for each user in the control panel app to allow SSH use.  On Windows you can use SSH from the command line in windows 10 or 11or can download and install "putty".

Try and see how far you can get.  If you can't figure it out or would just like help we can do a remote help support session using TeamViewer to your PC and help you do the above to access the reset file and reset your password.

Carlo

I was running into issues with a corrupt DB so I eventually did the following:

WARNING:  THIS WILL COMPLETELY REMOVE EMBY, INCLUDING ALL PREFERENCES, PLAYLISTS, ETC.

• stopped Emby
  • uninstalled Emby from App Central
  • deleted the folder "/volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/emby-server" (aliased at /usr/local/AppCentral/emby-server if that's easier)
    • sudo rm -R "/volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/emby-server"
  • ran:  sudo userdel emby
  • if the folder "/home/emby" exists after the command above, delete it
    • sudo rm -R /home/emby

That should completely remove Emby.  You can then install a fresh copy from App Central.

NOTE:  this is an excellent opportunity to mention that the paid version of Emby (Emby Premier) has an extremely useful server backup option that makes it easy to recover from these issues.  You basically back up to a directory external to Emby, reinstall Emby, install the server backup plugin, point it at where you have your backups, and restore the most recent version. Easy peasy...