Streaming Limit is being ignored

Kyouma

Hello, 

the streaming limit which i set is being ignored. I set it in the settings to 25 mbps, but it keeps going over that.

I have attached some Screenshots, where you can see the spike of 68 mbit. It mostly stays on 0 and spikes sometimes to those numbers.

As you can see on the other Screenshots the limit is set to 25 mbps and the media being played should not need that much,  especially when it's being directly played.

These spikes cause me to lag on multiplayer games, which didn't happen before. 

Any idea what I can do about this? 

I have also added the server log.

embyserver.txt

Screenshot_20220910-160758_TeamViewer.jpg

Screenshot_20220910-160931_Emby.jpg

Screenshot_20220910-160908_Emby.jpg

MagicDoubleM

The streaming limit applies only to external IPs (coming from the internet) (hence it's called "Internet-Streaming-Datenrate". It doesn't enforce the lower bitrate when the client comes from a LAN/Local IP.

You can however manually set which IPs should get threatened as local under "Network/LAN Networks". As soon as you enter something there, all others will be seen as external, hence stream-limitations will be triggered.

But the user in the Screenshot is outside of the local network, so it should work automatically or is that wrong? 

I will try your suggestion tomorrow, if that works then that's good enough for me.

Q-Droid

Emby doesn't throttle your network connection. The bitrate limit applies to the media it streams, it caps the streaming bitrate not your network bandwidth. The spikes you see are how the stream is requested by the client to fill the playback buffer and it will use available bandwidth to do this, then it pauses/slows to maintain it. The same way Netflix, Prime and YouTube initially buffer the stream at full speed.

If you want to limit the bandwidth used it will have to be done outside of Emby, on the OS, network or other ways.

Happy2Play

The media is playing at 8Mbps and you have a limit of 25Mbps so limit is irrelevant.  But don't know exactly what Windows is counting for 68Mbps.

11 hours ago, Q-Droid said:

If you want to limit the bandwidth used it will have to be done outside of Emby, on the OS, network or other ways.

Do you think NetLimiter could work for this situation?

Q-Droid

I haven't used NetLimiter though in theory yes, that's an approach you could try.

Another thing you could try if well versed is to define an upstream QoS rule in your router for Emby, at the lowest priority and rules for gaming set to high or highest. This would not limit the bandwidth and could still keep the congestion in check. Do not rely on any form of auto-QoS rules in the router. More often than not they do nothing or make things worse.

Edited by Q-Droid
  • Thanks 1