What is a BIF file and why do all have -320-10 at end of filename?

Ronstang

Ronstang

All my older hard drives from my first version of my emby server have a BIF file in each media folder but none of those in my current libraries do.  Are these files the result of enabling "Generate video preview thumbnails:" in the library settings?

I'm re-encoding my older libraries where possible and totally reorganizing everything since I have changed so much in my emby journey over the last few years so should I keep these files in my older libraries?  What are their actual purpose?  I don't really understand what value they add.

Also why is "-320-10" at the end of every single BIF file name?  If I don't need this I would like to delete just that part as it would make renaming thousands of files with BRU much easier.

Thanks

Spaceboy

bifs are your thumbnail images either at chapter points or with whatever frequency you set.

320 refers to the resolution of the image

10 shows you set it at a 10s frequency

• Like 1

Ronstang

Thanks, I understand now.....but, if I remove the "-320-10" from the end of the file will if affect it's function?

Edited by Ronstang

Spaceboy

no - it will continue to work just fine as long as its named the same as the video file before the -320-10. you'd need to rescan all your libraries so emby picks up the new files but then good to go

Ronstang

Thanks, that will simplify some things.  I assume it is rather CPU intensive to create these files, I have over 4000 movies without these BIF files.....would it be best to feed them  a couple dozen at a time into an emby server on a different machine to manage the load and then add them to the final server.  I am creating a whole new server as soon as I get my collection organized.....probably 7000 or so movies..

Spaceboy

pretty sure cpu use for bif creation is throttled so you may as well just let your server have at the library through the scheduled task. but it will take a while...

Ronstang

Thanks, that's fine.  This will be on a whole different machine that's only job is going to be the new emby server for my family to use outside the house and as a RDP portal to my other machine with a server and tuner cards.

rbjtech

Depending on when you plan to do this, the MediaInfo plugin currently includes a HDR > SDR BIF generator (tonemapped) but there are plans to add a set of other BIF generation tools that allow various options and parallel processes to speed up the whole 'bif generation' process on 'new' builds/rebuilds such as yours.

The emby BIF generator will do the job (for sdr bif's anyway) but it's designed as a low impact background process - and may take a while with a 7K movie library ... possible days/weeks.

Anyway - just thought I'd call out that there are alternative options out there wrt BIF's.

@Cheesegeezer

Ronstang

@rbjtech  Thanks so much for the info, I'll look into that when I start the media population of my second server as I don't have to add all the media at once even if it is physically available and organized....plus even if it takes days or weeks to generate it still is not a big deal as the second server will probably not have much use at first until my family and friends realize how cool it is LOL.  

My current server is a complete mess with many dupes and such in many folders across a lot of smaller hard drives.  I kept learning and changing my encoding strategy and naming schemes and such to reach the point where I am now so my current server is unnavigable except by me as I know what folder to look in for the version I want to check...or watch.  When done and caught up I will delete the current server and rebuild it from scratch similar to my other server yet it will only be for in house consumption.

• Like 1