Black screen during playback HEVC, Audio and subtitles are working

Nathanael

Nathanael

I have something strange with a friend of mine.
He is using the latest Emby 1.0.35 app on his LG TV. We are having 2 problems, but one is the most severe:

1. Black screen during most of the playback. Subtitles and audio is fine. On the server i see that the media is "direct play", HEVC MKV file. When i force a transcode the video is displayed.

2. Also with HEVC files, when is does display video. He cant't skip. When he does the media will start again from the start. (i think this is related to problem 1)

We performed a test on 7-9 20:39 LG SMART TV OLED55A16LA (Prey)

I have tested on my own LG OLED (newer), but i can't simulate the issue.

embyserver-63798185269-geknipt.txt

OLED55A16LA sounds like 2021 model.

20 hours ago, Nathanael said:

He is using the latest Emby 1.0.35 app on his LG TV. We are having 2 problems, but one is the most severe:

Is he remote, and you are local?

Nathanael

The issue is on more files and i can't really find a difference between the files.
The same file transcoded does play fine. However transcoding a 2 or 3Mbit hevc to a 1mbit h264 is terrible for the quality.
If i could force a transcode to a higher x264 bitrate. I could live with it.

Is it possible to copy the file to USB, then try it connected directly to the TV with the internal media player?

Can you please try the remote connection with no subtitles selected before you start playback?

Do this first before the USB test

Edited by SamES

Nathanael

When we play the media with subs off before start, the screen is black. Audio is played, and remote on the server it shows "Direct Play"for both the Video and the Audio.

When i play the same files from an USB stick using the build in player the media is played correctly!

I have also experienced this issue.. For me it seemed at first isolated to the exact episode of house of dragon you describe, and re-encoding the file did not make a difference.  I ended up downloading the same episode from a different source, and it worked.

I have experienced it with some other files though, and the funny thing is that plex played them fine on the same tv...

Now I do not like plex nearly as much as Emby, but had it because a friend has a plex server.. 

Also, Isn't it about time to upgrade the LG app soon? All the other platforms have skip intro supported, and I do find it mildly infuriating that it is missing from LG..

Edited by dexus

Nathanael

Well, is is not a single file that has the issue, there are a lot of files. However the issue is only present on this specific LG tv.

My own LG plays (2022 model) the files fine. Android clients also play the files fine. The LG internal player also plays the files fine.

Do you know if this is a recent issue, or is this the first time you use Emby on that particular TV?  I have used emby for quite some time now, and this issue with some episodes has just recently happened..

I still had this problem with the Megusta releases of Andor in 1080p hevc... Downloading the same episode in Hevc from another source solved it.. I am wondering if Megusta has started encoding their releases in some new weird way.. 

Strange.. It seems like it's isolated to the LG tv, and sometimes the web client..  Funny thing is that I had no problems up until about a month and a half ago.. The LG app has been able to play whatever I had in the library, and now, some x265 files are having issues both with the LG app and in web browser.. But chromecast with android tv has no issues nor the android app on my phone.. @SamES

SamES
On 24/09/2022 at 20:19, dexus said:

Strange.. It seems like it's isolated to the LG tv, and sometimes the web client..  Funny thing is that I had no problems up until about a month and a half ago.. The LG app has been able to play whatever I had in the library, and now, some x265 files are having issues both with the LG app and in web browser.. But chromecast with android tv has no issues nor the android app on my phone.. @SamES

From what I've read here, and since you've only started seeing this issue recently I would agree that there may be some different encoding going on that the TV doesn't fully support.

Nathanael
On 10/1/2022 at 1:29 PM, SamES said:

From what I've read here, and since you've only started seeing this issue recently I would agree that there may be some different encoding going on that the TV doesn't fully support.

That may be, however the same files do play with the build in player.

SamES

Yes, the built in player is slightly different to the player available to apps. For example, ATMOS via eARC on newer models does not work for apps, but works in the native player. 

Edited by SamES

• 2 weeks later...
skooogis

Having the same issue as you, with a remote friend using LG.
I think I spent 6 hours trying to understand why most of the media was black, while some work perfect with same encoding.
This is still a issue, as he's unable to watch.

I could not find a pattern or logic at all regarding this, and like this wasn't confusing enough:
He tries to play some episodes of different series, none worked. Two days later he says "Now it work, what did you do?"
Well I had not touched a thing..And it worked fine for him 1-2 weeks, now the issue has been persistent for 3 weeks straight.

I think the first time he reported this to me was 2-3 months ago.

Edited by skooogis

I believe the next update to the app will help with this, so please try that once available. Thanks.

On LG Tv?  Has there been an update I'm not aware of?  1.035 is the latest as far as I know.  It works fine on my Chromcast with Android TV, but not from the native LG app..