Kodi-like thumbnail cache for images

iamthedude

iamthedude

Hi there,

in Kodi, all thumbs are stored under profile/Thumbnails/folders.

When I open my picture folder in Kodi (Shield TV 2019 with 3GB RAM), all previously generated thumbs are instantly displayed.

However, I have very large images, which keeps crashing kodi (due to the way kodi loads images into memory and the Shield not having enough).

So rather than using the kodi built-in-viewer, I use emby on Android (Shield TV2019).

Emby does not crash, when loading many large photos.

It does, however, take forever to generate thumbnails when I open it.

And it seems to regenerate those thumbs every time I open a picture folder.

Is there any way, to set a designated Thumbnails folder, where thumbs are stored, preferably on my QNAP?

What is the cache folder for?

Advanced

Cache path:
/path/to/cache

Would moving the server to an SSD disk help??

Many thanks and regards
Stefan

• 2 weeks later...
iamthedude

alright, so I tried and compared and have to say I like the Google store app better 🙂

speed is about the same, but the store app offers alphabetical sorting with the option to directly jump to letters on the left.

The sideload app seems to miss that, unless it's an option I have to activate.

Funnily enough, when I went back to the store app, all my previous thumbs were still there. So I guess they seem to be cached somewhere.

As far as I am concerned you can close this thread, unless anyone else is interested.

my thanks for your support!!

4 hours ago, iamthedude said:

alright, so I tried and compared and have to say I like the Google store app better 🙂

speed is about the same, but the store app offers alphabetical sorting with the option to directly jump to letters on the left.

The sideload app seems to miss that, unless it's an option I have to activate.

Funnily enough, when I went back to the store app, all my previous thumbs were still there. So I guess they seem to be cached somewhere.

As far as I am concerned you can close this thread, unless anyone else is interested.

my thanks for your support!!

Hi, both apps have the a-z picker on the left. Maybe the screen you were looking at wasn't sorting by title.

iamthedude
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, both apps have the a-z picker on the left. Maybe the screen you were looking at wasn't sorting by title.

hi, indeed, I must have missed  that, even though I sorted by name Ascending. but no matter, it's not really faster in regards to thumbnails anyway.

just out of curiosity, what would the advantages be over the store app?

8 minutes ago, iamthedude said:

hi, indeed, I must have missed  that, even though I sorted by name Ascending. but no matter, it's not really faster in regards to thumbnails anyway.

just out of curiosity, what would the advantages be over the store app?

It's very far ahead in terms of video player improvements as well as supporting newer emby features.