Subtitles on Firestick

sscanf

DVDSUB streams work at all on amazon firestick? Everything is enabled (ON by default, language is English, etc) but they are just ignored. Interestingly the firestick doesn't rebuffer the way it does on windows.  But there's no DVDSUB. In Emby Theater there is DVDSUB but a lot of rebuffering.

Maybe Emby has a basic problem handling subtitle streams? Notice these regular log entries from Rebuffering Issue:

00:00:38.065 elapsed=00:00:48.74 frame=  288 fps=5.9 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:00:15.23 bitrate=N/A throttle=off speed=0.312x    
00:00:38.242 subtitle_kickoff: resend - pts: 17017000
00:00:38.244 subtitle_kickoff: call subtitle_resend_current 17027000 frame->format: 1
00:00:38.759 elapsed=00:00:49.37 frame=  291 fps=5.9 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:00:15.42 bitrate=N/A throttle=off speed=0.312x    
00:00:39.319 elapsed=00:00:49.91 frame=  295 fps=5.9 q=28.0 size=N/A time=00:00:15.42 bitrate=N/A throttle=off speed=0.309x    

Sorry is this any better?

BTW I switched the subtitle language back from English to Anything and more of the movies show DVDSUB now but teletext is still completely missing from TV broadcasts on the firestick (but they do render for me on Emby Theater and Firefox, unfortunately with a lot of buffering)

embyserver.txt

Edited by sscanf

On 9/7/2022 at 7:25 AM, ebr said:

- screen shots are best - and also  follow the instructions to send a log from the app.

Let's start with that.  Since I have never done this on a Firestick or Android TV before I'm not sure what to do. I understand "debug" mode (turn on ADB) and OSD but cannot locate anything that says "send log". Not even in the playback/OSD menu. If this is supposed to be over email, the SMTP would need to be set up on my Firestick, and I dont even see where that's a thing either..

Bit lost to get you what you want for this..

where-send-log.jpg

debug-on.jpg

Edited by sscanf

Hi.  You go to the settings in the application by clicking the cog at the top right of the home page.  In the General Display settings, at the very bottom there is a "Debug Options" item.  Turn that on.

Then play your item, reproducing your issue, and then go to the cog menu at the bottom left of the OSD during playback.  On that menu, there is an option to "Send log".

Some screen shots of what you see in the subtitle menu during playback or on the item detail screen would be helpful as well.

Thanks found it. Sent 7:48 AM EST USA (9:48 AEST).

DVDSUB is working now (fixed in another thread) but live tv teletext is still missing completely on the firestick (DIRECT and REMUX modes) and always seem to need to be switched on (They stay ON by default in Emby Theater whicn I set it, not the firestick?)

Emby Theater:

fv_teletext.thumb.png.19857933ac7f20e125862ed41015d67d.png

Emby App on Firestick (notice TELETEXT stream is detected but not displayed):

fv_teletext_missing.png.204fe2ee5be0a8e2029e8899e8cdf1ca.png

OK Couldn't find your debug again but the result is the same anyway:

THEATER:

teletext.png.7990ef3311a2a811296a16097400f18d.png

Android:

missing.thumb.jpg.729d75f0bba2946fa5f25554f52c272e.jpg

Teletext does stream using the firestick VLC app.

Sent.

Edited by sscanf
FYI I switched back to the Firestick version. Android version has the same issue and we don't like the interface as much.

Sent another two debug reports from the Firestick app after re-installing, approx 2:20 AM EST. Before the last couple of days where teletext is just "dropped", the app _did_ actually display a single frame with the teletext, but froze with a spinning wheel and crashed back to menu saying "Too many errors. Giving up." The app has now reverted to this behavior once more. Here is a photo you can just make out a small piece of the blue spinning wheel, red arrow for clarity.

frozen_firestick_w_teletext.jpg

• 4 weeks later...