What does Emby TV get me?

TugboatBill

TugboatBill

Currently I'm running Kodi with the Emby addon.  I'm also running ServerWMC + the ServerWMC Kodi addon for my OTA.  What would  moving from the Kodi ServerWMC addon to Emby TV get me?  

Hi, isn't that kind of the same question of why use Kodi or Emby? Emby is a server designed to manage playback from all of your devices, so what you'd get is everything that goes along with that.

OK so then i think it goes back to my first answer. If you want to integrate live TV into Emby , into your server and user management, then that's what the benefit would be.

1 hour ago, TugboatBill said:

No.  From where?  ServerWMC or does Emby have it's own live TV server?

To help Luke out a little bit. The answer to the question is "yes". Emby has it's on TV server so that ServerWMC is unnecessary unless you are still using EmbyWMC. If you have a networked tuner like HDHomerun then it can be configured directly inside of Emby Server. Works also for M3U streamed IP TV. I think a couple other hardware OTA tuners are supported too. But if you're still connecting to EmbyWMC and using WMC7 then you'll still need ServerWMC.

I've not tried to connect live TV to Kodi. So not sure what that requires.

Good luck.

emveepee

From a Kodi Live TV prespective you lose more than you gain and you need to consider if there are benefits to moving away from Kodi to full Emby clients.

Martin

TugboatBill

I'm pretty happy with Kodi + EmbyAddon.  The Kodi interface works really well, except for the recorded OTA TV.    I'm having one problem with that where skipping forward/backward is "jumpy".  Sometime it will act stupid and ignore skip commands then other times it seems to think "oh, skip.  OK then, lets do a bunch of them just because".  I guess I'll have to stop being lazy and do some latency/resource analysis.

Can anyone suggest where I can go to find out how video data flows in Kodi/ServerWMC?