Qnap to homebuild, will this be OK?

PeteGul

PeteGul

Hi

I have a plan to go from Qnap to an homebuild. Nothing fancy, preferably buy used. 

Want transcode possibilities, my Qnap can't handle that at all.

Now I use an Qnap TS-469 Pro, works but not to transcode.

Will an setup with this be enough: Mainboard:Gigabyte Z270 Gaming K3 CPU:Intel Core i5 7500 (with watercooling) and 16GB ram 2400mHz.

Will this be enough for transcoding on the fly? 4K?

It will be replacing my Qnap, so it will be file server (never in use almost), torrent and Emby. That's it.

What to use as NAS program that works with Emby? I am not an CE, just interested in computers.

Petter

Edited by pettergulbra

Q-Droid

Yes, it should handle it. Intel 7th-10th gen have basically the same iGPU and transcoding support and 4k is no problem.

Regarding NAS software options it depends on the OS you want to use. If Linux then look into OMV. For Windows then hopefully others can chime in with something beyond the built-in file sharing options.

PeteGul
18 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

Yes, it should handle it. Intel 7th-10th gen have basically the same iGPU and transcoding support and 4k is no problem.

Regarding NAS software options it depends on the OS you want to use. If Linux then look into OMV. For Windows then hopefully others can chime in with something beyond the built-in file sharing options.

Thanks for that, try to buy.

Don't know a thing about Linux, and after what I have read Win uses to much of the juice :)

Maybe truenas, freenas or something like that can be used with Emby and transmission. This I will have to look a little more into I think. 

Or maybe someone hare know or has something to recommend?