IPTVBoss - A xTeVe alternative for Emby.

BillOatman

BillOatman

I have used this app for some time. They recently overhauled it and now are ready for new users again.

It's not a proxy like xTeVe is, it allows you to prune and arrange your IPTV streams and generate m3u and xmltv files that can be consumed by Emby.

Use of the app is free, if you want their extensive guide data, there is a minimal charge if it's for personal use.

It also fixes the Emby bug (IMO, the Emby devs disagree :) ) so you can use 1 xmltv entry for multiple streams by setting this option.  

image.png.d4f28d64957ffb276022aaca9c2902a2.png

To find out more and get the app, use this Discord invitation.

Edited by BillOatman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

RobDenny

hey @BillOatman, what do you mean by this line?

"it also fixes the Emby bug (IMO, the Emby devs disagree :) ) so you can use 1 xmltv entry for multiple streams by setting this option.  "

do you mean two channels can be merged into one now?

BillOatman
12 hours ago, mike3821 said:

How does this compare to xtreme editor? 

I've never used xtreme editor.  But my understanding is XE is a online tool so your data is there, whereas Boss runs local on your machine. Any other differences I would have no idea.

BillOatman
2 hours ago, RobDenny said:

hey @BillOatman, what do you mean by this line?

"it also fixes the Emby bug (IMO, the Emby devs disagree :) ) so you can use 1 xmltv entry for multiple streams by setting this option.  "

do you mean two channels can be merged into one now?

For example, if you have 2 different IPTV providers and each has ESPN and you want to be able to view them both (backup for example). If you have both providers streams specify the same guide data (epg-id), which would make sense as they are both ESPN, Emby will only make one of the streams available.  The reason is since the streams both have the same epg-id, Emby considers one as a duplicate. It does not consider the 2 providers as making them unique, but rather the content is the same therefore it is a duplicate to Emby.

Setting that flag in IPTVBoss will "correct" that situation, and in the example above you will see both ESPN streams in your guide in Emby.

The streams will not be merged into one like a true backup.

Edited by BillOatman
  • Like 1

MarcusJ
On 8/28/2022 at 8:38 AM, BillOatman said:

Use of the app is free, if you want their extensive guide data, there is a minimal charge if it's for personal use.

Bill, do you use their EPG data? How good is it? Accurate? Updated frequently? How many days of EPG data is provided?

BillOatman
5 hours ago, MarcusJ said:

Bill, do you use their EPG data? How good is it? Accurate? Updated frequently? How many days of EPG data is provided?

Yes I do use it.  It's very good and well maintained.  It is updated daily for sure, but I believe it is updated 3 times a day. The number of days I'm not sure, you would have to ask in the discord.  It may vary by channel. I don't record so I don't need more than the current day.

bdavis095
22 hours ago, PaulW08 said:

Is there an ability to auto sync with the IPTV provider everyday or is that something that has to be done manually?

I use a rPi for IPTVBoss and set a cron job a couple times a day to update m3u/epg. It then uploads it to dropbox for Emby to grab. Can also do it locally or use google drive for cloud also. Or you can do it manually, the choice is yours.

2 minutes ago, bdavis095 said:

I use a rPi for IPTVBoss and set a cron job a couple times a day to update m3u/epg. It then uploads it to dropbox for Emby to grab. Can also do it locally or use google drive for cloud also. Or you can do it manually, the choice is yours.

Ah, interesting. I wonder if I can make it run as a docker container for my unraid server.

• Agree 1

BillOatman
19 minutes ago, PaulW08 said:

Ah, interesting. I wonder if I can make it run as a docker container for my unraid server.

I believe people have done this. It is written in Java, and has a -nogui option so it can run autonomously.