iOS Playback "No compatible streams" when off network.

WhackOBill

WhackOBill

When I access Emby from an iOS device from outside of my network, I always get a "Playback Error: No compatible streams" message when trying to play any media.  When this same device is connected to my local Wi-Fi, I can play the content just fine.  I'm using the iOS client version 2.2.5 and server version 4.7.6.0.  I can test this easily from my home by enabling or disabling WiFi on my iPhone12.

I CAN use the web to play the content while off network.  This works fine on any of my iOS devices.

I suspected that it might be related to using SSL off network so I disabled secure connection mode at the server but this change had no apparent effect.

Other, non-iOS clients seem to still work just fine off network ... Roku and FireStick clients for example.  This leads me to believe my port forwards at the router are working as intended.

This has been an issue for the last several versions of the iOS client.  I'm not exactly sure when it started as I don't often hit my server from an iOS device while away from home.  And I can work around it by hitting the media server via the web on the iOS device.

I am guessing it has something to do with the bitrate limit when the device is off network and the request to transcode fails or the negotiated rate fails, etc.  I do have a remote client bitrate limit set to 4.5Mbps.

embyserver-08-25-22.txt

WhackOBill

I didn't see any related FFMPEG logs for this failure but there were a lot of logs.  I'll run a test while I'm the only one on and see if one is generated.  If so, I'll attach it.

On 8/26/2022 at 1:19 PM, WhackOBill said:

I didn't see any related FFMPEG logs for this failure but there were a lot of logs.  I'll run a test while I'm the only one on and see if one is generated.  If so, I'll attach it.

@WhackOBill what was the result?

• 1 month later...
WhackOBill

I'm getting back to this.  Sorry for the delay.  Honesty, it started working for a while and so I got off onto other projects.  Now it's broken again.

I'll run a test and gather logs this week.  I've been testing other things that I thought might be involved ... including SSL.  When I test from outside, the SSL/TLS seems to work fine to my Emby server on port 8920 but it only seems to support TLS 1.0 and SSL 3&2.  I thought that might be causing an issue.  When I play with the web player on the iPhone, I can do so with unencrypted port 8096, but not over 8920.  So my thought is that iOS is enforcing a minimum TLS level above TLS 1.0.

Though my Emby server is still on Win7, I've taken the steps to  enable TLS 1.1 and 1.2 on it as outlined by Microsoft.

I'm waiting on the ASRock IMB-X1231 to come available with which I will upgrade my Emby box to Win10 or 11, i5-12600, and ECC memory.

Though my Emby server is still on Win7, I've taken the steps to  enable TLS 1.1 and 1.2 on it as outlined by Microsoft.

Hi, unfortunately what we've noticed is that in newer versions of the .net runtime and aspnetcore, it is not incorporating these steps and appears to only be enabling TLS 1.0. I've explored various workarounds and hacks but so far haven't been able to come up with one.

WhackOBill
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, unfortunately what we've noticed is that in newer versions of the .net runtime and aspnetcore, it is not incorporating these steps and appears to only be enabling TLS 1.0. I've explored various workarounds and hacks but so far haven't been able to come up with one.

Do you think this might be my problem on iOS devices outside of the home?  I do have encryption set as "Preferred, not required." so my assumption is that it will fall back to not using SSL from the app.  Maybe that's not the case.

It's very possible yes. Does your server dashboard display your https or http address as your remote address?

• 3 weeks later...
WhackOBill

It does display the HTTPS in the remote WAN line on the dashboard.  But when I set Secure Connection Mode to Disabled, it goes back to plain HTTP on port 8096 like the internal network setting.

After some testing and turning my phone WiFi on and off to flip from inside the network to outside of the network and flipping my Secure Connection Mode setting around, it seems to be the SSL connection that causes the playback error from the outside on my iOS devices.  I HAD set my Secure Connection Mode to Preferred in prior tests and I think that was confusing the situation for me.  When I force either Disabled or Required, and I flip the port on the client between 8096 and 8920, I seem to be able to reproduce the problem.

In either mode, the UI populates with all of the menus and graphics.  But it seems that actual playing is what's affected.  On the server side, when in encrypted mode, I can see my connection begin on the dashboard and it's about to begin transcoding and then it just vanishes and I get the "No compatible streams" on the device side.

For the time being, I think I can simply go into Preferred mode and make sure the port on my iOS devices is using the non-SSL setup.

Sorry about the large log, I should have trimmed before testing.  This log is right after testing though so it's probably at the bottom.

Edit: from an iPhone 12 with iOS 15.6.1 and Emby client 2.2.5.

embyserver.txt

Edited by WhackOBill

• 3 months later...

HI, Emby for iOS 2.2.6 has been released. Please try it out and let us know how it compares. Thanks !