Suggestions for Live TV Channel Management?

MarcusJ
Go to solution Solved by mike3821,

MarcusJ

I am trying to use the Emby Live TV "Channels" screen to dramatically reduce the number of channels shown when I watch Live TV thru Emby.The sheer number of channels makes it completely unwieldly.  I have over 300,000 IPTV channels and VOD streams, and would like to chop that down to about 500. I am familiar with xTeVe as an option, but I am trying to avoid using that if possible.

Unless I am missing something (likely), I would currently need to go through and de-select each one of the 300,000+ channels to remove them from being shown to users on Live TV. Is that correct? Obviously, it would be soooooo much easier to have a "Master" select button at the top to select or de-select ALL channels. THat way, I could de-select all 300,000+ channels and then I would only need to go through and select the 4-500 I want. The effort goes from hundreds of hours of silly, repetitive work down to about 30 minutes of thoughtful work.

Alternatively, there could be a configuration item in which the emby admin can choose to show all channels on the "Channels" screen as "Selected" or "De-Selected" by default. Each admin could choose which option works best for them based on their channel list size.

If I'm missing something, please help me understand it. Otherwise, if there are other ideas for more efficiently managing these channels with current functionality, I would love to hear them.

Thanks!

mike3821

I use xtreme editor. A online paid service to build out what channels I want. I then use Emby to pull in the channels and then associate EPG data using Emby. Then manual map the channels.

RobDenny

You could install Steve it's free and can handle 300k channels easily, filter them down by group to what you want. 

mike3821
12 hours ago, RobDenny said:

You could install Steve it's free and can handle 300k channels easily, filter them down by group to what you want. 

Are you referring to xteve?

mike3821
5 hours ago, RobDenny said:

Yes

Thanks I just set this up using dummy channels and 120 minute… still don’t know what 120 minute means?

RobDenny

To have an active channel in xteve it required some channel/EPG data, the 120 mins dummy data is just there for convenience, it allows you to enable the channel without having the EPG data. The way you have done it is spot on, as you can then use the EPG supplied data inside emby itself to replace the dummy 120 mins data.

• Agree 1

mike3821
5 hours ago, RobDenny said:

To have an active channel in xteve it required some channel/EPG data, the 120 mins dummy data is just there for convenience, it allows you to enable the channel without having the EPG data. The way you have done it is spot on, as you can then use the EPG supplied data inside emby itself to replace the dummy 120 mins data.

Thanks. I've moved everything over to xteve and now can save a few dollars a year.

Thanks again!

darrenkdean

We use iptveditor.com.  It's give or take $15 / year & worth its weight in gold.  Channel sorting & categories, channel numbering, EPG, channel logos, & auto updating stream names like ESPN+.  Makes quick work of it.

• Like 1

MarcusJ
15 minutes ago, darrenkdean said:

We use iptveditor.com.  It's give or take $15 / year & worth its weight in gold.  Channel sorting & categories, channel numbering, EPG, channel logos, & auto updating stream names like ESPN+.  Makes quick work of it.

Thank you, Darren! I'll check it out.

• Solution
mike3821
20 hours ago, darrenkdean said:

After to many issues with xteve I just paid these guys. So far it’s excellent.

EPG isn’t much value under Emby. Emby provides a more granular list of movies and tv shows under live tv/programs.

what I like over xtreme editor is the fact I can sort, and number channels. No more need to do this under Emby. Only EPG stuff.

mike3821
Just now, MarcusJ said:

Sounds great, but unfortunately, they limit the number of streams to 120,000. My M3U has 300,000.

What on earth do you need 300,000 channels for? 

MarcusJ

😆

I don't! I ordered U.S., Canada, and U.K. channels only, and they sent this m3u. I was expecting 15-20,000, but got 300,000+.

For some strange reason, they included hundreds of thousands of VOD streams in the m3u. They're mostly TV shows with each episode taking up a channel/stream. Getting rid of them is the primary reason I need an m3u editor.

BillOatman
On 8/26/2022 at 5:46 AM, EODCrafter said:

If you can find it, IPTV Boss is pretty good too.

darrenkdean

I believe most iptv providers will allow you to limit the categories of channels they supply from the iptv provider account dashboard.  No need to have channels supplied in the m3u, you're never going to use.

MarcusJ

4 hours ago, darrenkdean said:

I believe most iptv providers will allow you to limit the categories of channels they supply from the iptv provider account dashboard.  No need to have channels supplied in the m3u, you're never going to use.

I went back to my IPTV provider and had them remove most of those void streams. The m3u now has around 50,000 channels - still way too many, but now under the iptveditor limit.

Darren, how good is the iptveditor.com EPG? Is it extensive? Accurate? How many days of EPG data can you get?

MarcusJ
34 minutes ago, RobDenny said:

Is the emby EPG that bad? I find it really good! Has all the episode data and everything. 

The emby EPG data is good, but it is limited to one day or less of data. I have the emby configuration set to 14 days of EPG data, but I never get more than a day's worth of data on a subset of channels.

I'm really looking for a good, complete, accurate, frequently updated EPG solution that is as close to my old cable TV guide as possible. If I have to pay for that, I would do it if the quality of the solution is where it needs to be to truly replace cable TV.

59 minutes ago, RobDenny said:

Is the emby EPG that bad? I find it really good! Has all the episode data an

19 minutes ago, MarcusJ said:

The emby EPG data is good, but it is limited to one day or less of data. I have the emby configuration set to 14 days of EPG data, but I never get more than a day's worth of data on a subset of channels.

I'm really looking for a good, complete, accurate, frequently updated EPG solution that is as close to my old cable TV guide as possible. If I have to pay for that, I would do it if the quality of the solution is where it needs to be to truly replace cable TV.

d everything. 

Emby guide data supports 14 days out at least.

The data is generally very good. It's just a matter of whether it's offered in your country or not.

• Like 1

MarcusJ
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Emby guide data supports 14 days out at least.

The data is generally very good. It's just a matter of whether it's offered in your country or not.

Luke, I'm in the U.S. and I have emby EPG Data set to 14 days, but I have never received more than 1 day's worth of data...ever.

So when you refer to it being "offered", what does that mean? Am I being limited by my IPTV provider? Does emby limit the EPG data it provides? If emby receives its EPG data from a third party, is that third party the bottleneck. My question is not rhetorical, I really don't understand where this data comes from.

25 minutes ago, MarcusJ said:

Luke, I'm in the U.S. and I have emby EPG Data set to 14 days, but I have never received more than 1 day's worth of data...ever.

So when you refer to it being "offered", what does that mean? Am I being limited by my IPTV provider? Does emby limit the EPG data it provides? If emby receives its EPG data from a third party, is that third party the bottleneck. My question is not rhetorical, I really don't understand where this data comes from.

Maybe you're using xml coming from your iptv provider. That's not emby guide data. That's just your own xml data imported into emby server.

MarcusJ

I have emby guide data set as my primary epg data source in emby. I also added the xml link from my iptv provider. Still, I have never received more than a day's worth of data.

RobDenny

thats really weird, because I have a similar setup, US channels, but I am in the UK, and I am getting US EPG data to till Tuesday next week, so 7 days. I wouldnt use or even setup the EPG data from your provider, as in my experience its c.r.a.p :) 

I use this TV guide data setup. 

image.png.d0fe62e6a1f3d441a358602adcfc3110.png

Here's the data next week. 

image.png.149321fdd75ca50425a2c980c557451d.png