QNAP NAS performance

sjkiss

sjkiss

HI there, right not I am running Emby 4.7.1 on a QNAP TS-128 (https://www.qnap.com/en/product/ts-128) It has a 1.1 Ghz Processor with a 1 GB of RAM.

I find Emby's performance pretty good, but flaky. I use the NAS almost exclusively for music streaming and often it can just cut out, or take a *long* time to read the library. I am in the mood to fix this, so I am wondering if an upgrade to a better quality NAS might address this. But I really don't know my way around here. 

For example this (https://www.qnap.com/en/product/ts-251d) features a 2Ghz Processor with 4 GB of RAM. 

1. Am I going to notice an improvement in time it takes to load the library and in stability?

2. Would people be kind enough to comment on their experiences using Emby with QNAP v. Synology NAS? 

Thank you 

Hi, yes I would expect that you'll see performance improvements with that. You may also see improvements from  updating to Emby Server 4.7.6 as well as the upcoming 4.7.7.

Happy2Play

Not that you have much Ram to work with, but you could try vacuuming the database and adjusting the Database cache size.

Settings-Database

sjkiss

I see some apps (Roon) recommend installing on an SSD, rather than on a spinning drive. Does anyone here know the difference?

36 minutes ago, sjkiss said:

I see some apps (Roon) recommend installing on an SSD, rather than on a spinning drive. Does anyone here know the difference?

An SSD will be faster, leading to a better experience with said app.

3 minutes ago, sjkiss said:

Also Emby?

Yes, it will perform better on an SSD. Almost any app will.

• Like 1