Remuxing mkv movies in batch??

1971camaroguy

1971camaroguy

Hi All,

I have a bunch of movies that I ripped and used media center master to rename and grab the metadata. One of the features is you can have MCM embed the file with tags and metadata.

But I think that corrupted a lot of those files. In the file is still playable, but there is no seek or start at a certain point in the movie. A dead givaway is in emby there is no movie time duration shown on the movies info.

So I can use makemkv and remux them and that seems to fix the issue....but I have a ton of movies to do, in excess of hundreds, which will be tedious.

Does anyone know of something, even a paid program that would allow me to dump the files into a folder and automate this process? Where I can start and leave it for how long it takes?

Thanks for anyones help...I am familiar with makemkv and mkvtoolnix....but there is no automation that I am aware of on those

I wanted to do a remiux and keep the file size the same, change nothing....I'm not sure if I can do that with handbrake without having to do some sort of compression. I don't want to do that.

rbjtech

a simple iterative script running mkvmerge will remux them all.

What operating system do you use ?

1971camaroguy

It's windows (windows 10), I may set up a dedicated computer to run this and just sit it on my shelf and wait for it to finish.

Any direction on compiling the script? I can do that part if I had some steps lol

Thanks again for your help

rbjtech

If windows - then something like this (I wrote it previously to do exactly the same thing..) as a batch file will work.

You need to obviously replace with your location of mkvmerge.

I've added a 'rem' (remark) to comment out the line that deleted the original file if the mkvmerge has no errors.  if you want it to delete the original mkv - then just remove the rem

It logs the success to a log file - remux.txt - open with notepad etc.

Just put the below into a batch (.bat) file in the root of your subfolders - and run it from a command line.

new files will be appended with a -remux

CTRL+C to stop it but it won't remember where it left off - so test first ;)

@echo off

FOR /F "delims=" %%A in ('dir /a-s /b /s "*.mkv"') DO (
	echo input : "%%A"
	echo output : "%%~dA%%~pA%%~nA-remux.mkv"
	"C:\Applications\RipBot264\Tools\mkvtoolnix\mkvmerge.exe" -o "%%~dA%%~pA%%~nA-remux.mkv" "%%A"
  	if %errorlevel% equ 0 (
		setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion
		echo [!date! !time:~0,8!] OK - "%%~dA%%~pA%%~nA.mkv" >> remux.txt
		endlocal
		echo Deleting "%%A"
	rem	del "%%A"
  		) else (
		setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion
		echo [!date! !time:~0,8!] ERROR! - "%%~dA%%~pA%%~nA.mkv" >> remux.txt
		endlocal
  		)
)
pause

Edited by rbjtech

1971camaroguy

awesome, thanks!  One question, where are you storing your files to be converted and the output side of it? Trying to make sure I have my paths correct.

1971camaroguy

Nevermind, I downloaded ripbot, I think I have it figured out...I appriciate the help

Edited by 1971camaroguy

rbjtech
5 minutes ago, 1971camaroguy said:

Nevermind, I downloaded ripbot, I think I have it figured out...I appriciate the help

Just point to your version of mkvmerge - no need to download ripbot264.   Use the mkvtoolnix suite.

rbjtech
10 minutes ago, 1971camaroguy said:

awesome, thanks!  One question, where are you storing your files to be converted and the output side of it? Trying to make sure I have my paths correct.

doesn't matter where your files are - the wildcard will find them as long as you put the batch file in the root.

so as an example

\mymedia

\mymedia\remux.bat                                                              < run this

\mymedia\film1\file.mkv

\mymedia\film2\file.mkv

will remux - film1 and film2

1971camaroguy

got it set up and ran it to remux 3 corrupt movie mkv's and worked like a champ!

Thanks for your help

• Like 1