Delete is deleting entire media subfolder instead of just watched show

marklyn

marklyn

Plex user here but I just discovered Emby and really am liking it so far except for two issues I cannot find solutions for.

1) After watching a show, I return the the screen with the show and the options listed (see attached). One of them is to delete, what I assumed was the show, but it actually deletes my entire subfolder and all shows! I tried this twice (after restoring the folder and subfolders from a backup).  Also attached the folder/subfolder structure.  What am I doing wrong?

The first photo shows when I had just watched S24E04 and chose to delete.  The message does say "deleting these items", which made me suspicious but I proceeded and it deleted all folders starting with, and including, the COPS folder two levels above the folder this show was in.  This deleted the higher level COPS folder and all Season 22 through Season 33 subfolders which are immediately under the COPS folder! (see 2nd attachment for folder structure)  Is this a glitch and, if so, should I report it?

2) The second issue is that if I play just a few seconds of an episode, say 5 seconds, why does EMBY then think it's been viewed and will prompt to play the next episode.  Again, using the first screen shot as the example. If I press play S24E5 and stop it after 5 seconds it will return to this screen and then it will show "Play S24E6" now.  Again is this a bug or setting somewhere I missed.  I think it only happens on this screen there it moved the episode counter up for just a few seconds of run time.

20220821_155537.thumb.jpg.d11349d28ce7a30a1287dfc138eba04c.jpg

folders.jpg

Happy2Play

The issue is the level you are selecting Delete as you are telling it to delete the Show from Series level.  As that image is not episode level.

Edited by Happy2Play

marklyn

OK. So when I finish watching a show and I'm at the attached screen with the delete option, what do I need to do in order to just delete the show I just watched only?  The EMBY app is running on my ROKU and the EMBY server is on my QNAP, if that helps.

Happy2Play

@ebr@speechles^^^

Don't believe there is an easy answer as you have to be in episode details to delete that specific item, instead of at Show level playing Next Up item.  

marklyn

If I use my desktop browser to view the same screen (where video was played and ended), the trash can (delete) there does what I expect, deletes the show I just watched.  The behavior on my ROKU EMBY app appears to be different in that it deletes entire folders.  Since I'm new to EMBY, does one have to be a premium subscriber to send up a support email/ticket for a more definitive answer from EMBY?

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, marklyn said:

If I use my desktop browser to view the same screen (where video was played and ended), the trash can (delete) there does what I expect, deletes the show I just watched.  The behavior on my ROKU EMBY app appears to be different in that it deletes entire folders.  Since I'm new to EMBY, does one have to be a premium subscriber to send up a support email/ticket for a more definitive answer from EMBY?

Would need to see the screen as both apps at Show level will delete the show not the episode.

Happy2Play

Moved to Roku section

Okay looks like the web client does have different options now.  As they use to be the same.  So the app devs will have to comment now.  But current method is the level you select delete from will delete everything at that level.

image.png.56eec74b2419b3f5629666f58ebf022d.png

Edited by Happy2Play

marklyn
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But current method is the level you select delete from will delete everything at that level.

If, I understand you, then when I deleted, what I thought was a single show, it was deleting everything from the top level of the COPS folder (including all season folders) on the ROKU app but this behavior appears to be different on the desktop browser.  Desktop browser version allows you to tap the 3 dots at the top to delete the entire folder(s) or you can click the 3 dots to the right of each episode and choose to delete that specific episode.  I cannot see the equivalent on the ROKU version, only deletes the entire folder structure.

emby browser.jpg

Happy2Play

Yes as that screen is a totally different view.  That one is Seasons View.  But the Roku and I would bet other apps have different behaviors then the web client as none of the clients are identical and never should be in my opinion.  But these are dev decisions.

I think it's just a confusion of what screen you're on. If you delete from the series screen, it will delete the entire series. If you delete from the season screen, it will delete the entire season.

I think the Roku delete confirmations are just a little behind the web app and we need to get it up to date and then you'll see the same explanations.

marklyn
8 hours ago, Luke said:

I think it's just a confusion of what screen you're on. If you delete from the series screen, it will delete the entire series. If you delete from the season screen, it will delete the entire season.

I think the Roku delete confirmations are just a little behind the web app and we need to get it up to date and then you'll see the same explanations.

I still see this as in issue that should be given some attention.  The behavior in the desktop browser, in regard to deleting a single show after watching it, is different than the behavior in the Roku app, which deletes the entire series.  I only saw it as confusion because the app/browser behavior appeared different to me and I didn't know why.

36 minutes ago, marklyn said:

I still see this as in issue that should be given some attention.  The behavior in the desktop browser, in regard to deleting a single show after watching it, is different than the behavior in the Roku app, which deletes the entire series.  I only saw it as confusion because the app/browser behavior appeared different to me and I didn't know why.

Hi.  Again, the confusion here is in where you are asking to delete.  In the Roku app you were on the Series page but in the Web app you were on the Season page and then you selected delete on an individual item, not the season.

We can look into improving the warning and allowing an alternate delete option when you choose delete Series in the Roku app.

Thanks.

marklyn

I think I figured it out. Being new to Emby I believe this was a rookie mistake.

When I navigated to my COPS show folder (from the Folders menu option), I landed on the second screen below, not realizing that below that was the actual episode list (under "next Up"). If I had just down arrowed to the "next up" list I could choose a specific episode and play/delete just that one item.  Instead, I was doing the play next episode that was on the initial screen landing after the folders menu.  This delete button wants to delete the entire series so, sure, in a perfect world, it would have been helpful to make the warning a bit stronger but now that I understand the difference, I'll know better.  I've been a Plex user for several years and just discovered Emby last week.  So glad I did because I was strongly considering buying an annual or lifetime pass until I stumbled across Emby. So glad I did.  Emby might be the way I want to go and so far the support on the forums is active and helpful.  I will continue to test Emby out for the next few weeks but so far I really like what I see.  Thanks for your help and patience (for future questions/posts too!).

20220822_091524.thumb.jpg.dd45bc3f46eb6e667cd1189ae4b730ad.jpg20220822_091433.thumb.jpg.6df46e40a0cea26383b9aa50faa498ff.jpg

Edited by marklyn

Hi.  Now that you have started that series, if you enable "Continue Watching" in your home screen sections, then you'll get the next episode presented to you right on the home screen.

Welcome!

• Thanks 1

pwhodges

IMO it would help if the Roku GUI made things just a little smaller, so that it would be much more obvious that scrolling down will show more stuff; at present the screen looks so neat that it's easy to miss this before becoming familiar with it.

Paul

• Like 1

justinrh
On 8/21/2022 at 4:38 PM, marklyn said:

2) The second issue is that if I play just a few seconds of an episode, say 5 seconds, why does EMBY then think it's been viewed and will prompt to play the next episode.

AFAIK, this is the only way to control this behavior.  Administer the library, Playback section.  You set a % played (instead of seconds played):
image.png.076b99ca7cef6d0c31a122fb1e45f585.png