API for Emby Connected Name to email Address

HawkXP71

HawkXP71

At somepoint, the user's Emby Connect login name, automatically started to replace it it with the emby connect email address.  Which is great.

However, unless you go to an existing users account, remove the Emby Connect user name, save without one, then re-enter it and save again, the /Users API will return the ID not the email.

Is there any API to query for a given Emby Connect Name, and get the Emby Connect email address?

Is there any API to query for a given Emby Connect Name, and get the Emby Connect email address?

Hi, no there isn't as that would make it possible to get anyone's email address from Emby Connect if you knew their username.

HawkXP71

Understood.   But then shouldnt the autochange on the local server be the username and not the email address? 

Right now this basically gives any admin access to the emails. 

4 minutes ago, HawkXP71 said:

Understood.   But then shouldnt the autochange on the local server be the username and not the email address? 

Right now this basically gives any admin access to the emails. 

You're going to have access to the email addresses for the users on your system, because that's how you invite them. Ultimately at some point down the line the Emby Connect username won't be used anymore because it just creates too much confusion with the usernames on their local server. For example, admins constantly do things like send invites to "Tom", thinking that their inviting their friend Tom, and the invitation winds up going to whomever has the Emby Connect user name Tom. And then that person comes to us looking for explanation about why they got some mysterious invitation.

HawkXP71
22 minutes ago, Luke said:

You're going to have access to the email addresses for the users on your system, because that's how you invite them. Ultimately at some point down the line the Emby Connect username won't be used anymore because it just creates too much confusion with the usernames on their local server. For example, admins constantly do things like send invites to "Tom", thinking that their inviting their friend Tom, and the invitation winds up going to whomever has the Emby Connect user name Tom. And then that person comes to us looking for explanation about why they got some mysterious invitation.

Fully agree. 

Ive had that exact issue come up actually. 

But with my sync tool,  the problem came up that suddenly entering in my username changed it automatically to my email,  and then when syncing,  they didn't like up,  since the older server returned my username,  but the dev server returned my email,  even though I entered the username in both. 

Maybe an api to request "is this user/email the same as this email/username"? 

HawkXP71

Another option,  is there an api call that will automatically convert all usernames to email on the server? 

33 minutes ago, Luke said:

Fully agree. 

But with my sync tool,  the problem came up that suddenly entering in my username changed it automatically to my email,  and then when syncing,  they didn't like up,  since the older server returned my username,  but the dev server returned my email,  even though I entered the username in both. 

On 8/22/2022 at 1:05 AM, HawkXP71 said:

Another option,  is there an api call that will automatically convert all usernames to email on the server? 

Fully agree. 

you could remove and re-add the emby connect association and that will do it.

HawkXP71
18 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can that be done via the API?  Or only manually?

Happy2Play
41 minutes ago, HawkXP71 said:
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Can that be done via the API?  Or only manually?

Have you looked at the ConnectService endpoints?

image.thumb.png.85e88d1ae87902b98655af98cf8c13f1.png

HawkXP71
43 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Thanks. Unfortunately I am stuck with the static swagger API since I dont have an https server running :(  So often I cant find the latest API.

Also, it would be great, if there was a downloadable PDF of the API, since I would love to be able to search every API weather it was "folded or not" in the webpage

HawkXP71
On 8/24/2022 at 8:52 AM, Happy2Play said:

I got this working.   It worked like a charm!  Thanks. 

• Thanks 1