Trouble playing 1080 mkv files

kmanning

kmanning

I am new to Emby, so please excuse me if this has been covered before.  My video library is a mixed DVD, BluRay, and 4K collection all ripped using MakeMKV.  The files all playback fine on the server using VLC, and play back fine on other devices (iPad, other computers).  Using Roku Ultra with the latest Emby  app, 480 movies play fine, and 4K movies play fine.  But 1080 movies all stop playback mid-stream, and for each movie the stopping point is always the same exact spot.  When playback stops the player drops back to the main screen for that movie. I have tried adjusting all the playback settings with no improvement.

Server: 4.7.6.0 running on Windows 10 pc, AMD Ryzen 2800x, 32GB, movies stored on mixed SSDs 2-4TB in a Terramaster external enclosure

Emby Premier subscription

Any suggestions or additional information that I need to provide?

Thanks

Hi.  When you reproduce this problem, please also follow the instructions in that link to send a log from the app.  Be sure to turn on the debug option and restart the app before recreating the problem.

Thanks.

kmanning

Playing file Live and Let Die.mkv

In first scene after opening credits playback stopped and Emby returned to the home screen for that movie

Log sent 17:42 EDT

user name krmann

embyserver.txt

Hi.  How were these items with this problem created?  The player thinks the video is finished which points to an error in the index or metadata for the video file itself.

kmanning

Standard Blu-Ray disk which I own, ripped with MakeMKV standard settings. 

It looks like all my ripped BluRay disks do the same thing at different points in playback.  DVD (480) content and 4K seem to play OK

This particular movie - Live and Let Die - plays without a hitch on the Emby iPad app, from the Emby server web interface (I use Firefox), and plays flawlessly with VLC

Happy2Play

Every player has its own tolerances, and the Roku is probably the worst.

If you remuxed the file in MKVToolNix does it make a difference?

roaku

A straight bluray rip from MakeMkv is going to result in massive files that the streaming oriented Roku isn't really designed to play.

Using Handbrake to create a more streaming friendly version from the rip would likely help.

• Agree 1

kmanning

I really don't want to remix my entire library if possible.  I used to use Plex and these exact same files played just fine on the exact same Roku. 

2022-08-17 17:37:16.120 Info SessionManager: Playback start reported by app Roku SG 4.0.63 playing Live and Let Die. Started at 0 ms
2022-08-17 17:38:06.196 Info SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app Roku SG 4.0.63 playing Live and Let Die. Stopped at 46000 ms

2022-08-17 17:41:22.331 Info SessionManager: Playback start reported by app Roku SG 4.0.63 playing Live and Let Die. Started at 0 ms
2022-08-17 17:42:12.457 Info SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app Roku SG 4.0.63 playing Live and Let Die. Stopped at 46000 ms

I see two attempts to play a file on the Roku and both are the same file. Is this the 1080P having issues?

The problem you have is caused by MakeMKV.  See here: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?style=4&t=24854

There are tracks that have been removed from the file. But the remaining tracks have not been renumbered. That means there are missing tracks inside the file. The Roku video format detection routine is what is responsible for detecting the end of the file. Since it notices at that point there are missing streams from the item it bails playback.

image.thumb.png.1a38049d56a5994cd3cb6a57cbff290c.png

Edited by speechles

kmanning

Thank you all for the help.  After checking it out, it seems that MakeMKV might be a part of the problem here.  I tried an alternate ripper and the resulting file plays fine.

BUT...I still think there is something about the Roku client for Emby.  My original file plays fine on all other players including other Emby players.  I am pondering whether to switch ripping programs or media servers

Hi.  Unfortunately, we have no control over the Roku player (it is internal to the device) and it is designed by Roku for streaming media so it is very intolerant to anything out of spec.  Most of our other apps are able to handle "bad" media much better.

scb99

Take an mkv that doesn’t work and run it through mkvtoolnix using the gui. It will just take you a minute or two to do this. If the resulting file works, this was the problem and you have the solution.

Happy2Play
17 minutes ago, kmanning said:

Pardon if this is a dumb question, but run it through MKVToolNix using which tool and settings?

There are no settings it will Remux the file rewriting header.  The guess here is possible bad header info.  Same as what was mentioned in Speechles post above.

So if works then it is the files themselves as the Roku is not very tolerant of problem files like other players/platforms.

Edited by Happy2Play

pwhodges
10 hours ago, kmanning said:

Pardon if this is a dumb question, but run it through MKVToolNix using which tool and settings?

Just drop the file into MKVToolNix and then click the Multiplex button; even though there's only one file that will not just copy the file but remultiplex it - i.e. copy the streams into a newly crafted container.

If the file contains more than one audio or subtitle stream, it may be worth first checking that only one of each (or none for subtitles) is marked as default.  I also remove any "forced" flags.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

• 2 weeks later...
hjason7812
On 8/16/2022 at 8:15 PM, kmanning said:

I am new to Emby, so please excuse me if this has been covered before.  My video library is a mixed DVD, BluRay, and 4K collection all ripped using MakeMKV.  The files all playback fine on the server using VLC, and play back fine on other devices (iPad, other computers).  Using Roku Ultra with the latest Emby  app, 480 movies play fine, and 4K movies play fine.  But 1080 movies all stop playback mid-stream, and for each movie the stopping point is always the same exact spot.  When playback stops the player drops back to the main screen for that movie. I have tried adjusting all the playback settings with no improvement.

Server: 4.7.6.0 running on Windows 10 pc, AMD Ryzen 2800x, 32GB, movies stored on mixed SSDs 2-4TB in a Terramaster external enclosure

Emby Premier subscription

Any suggestions or additional information that I need to provide?

Thanks

I had this issue with mkv movie files since the day I started using emby but with tvshows it works fine. U could try to convert them. What I usually use is mkvtoolnix and then use wonderfox HD video converter pro and also their ripper pro and converter pro programs they are amazing programs. Anyways mkv movie files converted with these programs work for some reason if the file is made somewhere else it seems to be missing information or the file is damaged in some way but these programs fix it. And it works on emby tvshows work no matter what in mkv it weird I know. But I messed around with mkv for a long time until I found not everything likes mkv movies so I started converting everything mp4 h265 high quality 4k and 1080p with aac 320 bit audio 48000 and everything plays and looks amazingly smooth and crystal clear