Live TV not playing - it used to work just fine

SeekingWisdom

18 minutes ago, SeekingWisdom said:

What type of stream do we have in the different test files (i.e. 720p, 1080i, etc)

image.png.a0392bd37b47ee739e49b4d9d4eaaa32.png

18 minutes ago, SeekingWisdom said:

r taking the time - I am going to try to follow up with synology to get their input for possible improvements.

Maybe there's nothing to improve at all. It's just something to check. Quite sometimes, the BIOS sets GPU mem to a minimum when there's no display connected on startup. But that's just common knowledge about iGPUs, not specific to Synology.

SeekingWisdom
20 hours ago, softworkz said:

Go to "Encoders" and move QuickSync H264 to the top. Then go to H264 decoders and uncheck both VAAPI and QuickSync.

Here is what it is currently set to.

image.jpeg.7a48824d17fa9c58d8033967c6a2ec87.jpeg

You say I should put QuickSync on top.  Do I put it on top only or do I remove the green checkmark from VAAPI as well and add a green checkmark to QuickSync?

What is the difference between having a green checkmark and its position in the list (i.e. put QuickSync first)?

Is there written documentation on this and if so where?

What tool do you use to get the information you displayed above on those video files?

@softworkz

do you get an alert if I copy a quote from your previous post or do I need to put your name in with "@"?

Edited by SeekingWisdom

• 2 weeks later...
SeekingWisdom

@softworkz

I have been talking to synology and would like to run a number of your tests with different "conditions" on the synology.

Given you only wanted to see the .etra file it is my assumption that you got all the duration information from that file.  I looked at it and am wondering if I can create your table by subtracting a start and ending time.  If this is possible can you tell me which times to use to get the ones in the test I ran for you.  I will then use that information to get times for the other tests I will run for comparison to see if any of the different conditions improve things.

to any moderator.  I put the developers name above hoping that will cause it to alert him to this post.  If this was not done correctly would you please tell him so he will look at this post.

@softworkz

The json files are a bit unhandy to work with.

Just post your .etra files here then I can convert them for you to xls, csv, pdf, dox, html, rtf or txt. Whatever you like.

Some mods have the tool as well, so one of us will be there to help.

SeekingWisdom

One of the things I have been investigating with synology is is the addition of cache would help.

From earlier in this thread it was brought to my attention that /var/... was used by transcoding.  The /var directory is a special system partition.  Cache can only be associated with volume and /var is not in a volume therefore /var cannot gain any benefit from the presence of cache.

I know that Emby relies on paths from the user for certain data.  I am wondering why all of the data used by emby could not be located through paths provided by the user (i.e. as opposed to putting it in the /var system partition)?  Thus they could benefit from the addition of cache.

Edited by SeekingWisdom

"/var" is a normal path on most systems - I don't know anything about Synology.and whether there might be better ways.

But what I can say is that there are two paths which you can customize and specify a different location than under /var:

• The cache path (Dashboard => Settings)
  • The transcoding temp path (Dashboard => Transcoding)

There might be a way to relocate the full data path hierarchy, I don't remember right now, but it's not a public option because changing it without moving the data would break everything.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
jefferyk21
On 8/16/2022 at 10:09 PM, SeekingWisdom said:

I use emby to record off my antenna and it used to work just fine for many years.  Last weekend I set up to record the Colts football in case I got interrupted and could not watch it live (this is what I always do).

When it came time for the game to start I started up emby on my roku and selected the game from the guide.  There was a long delay (the circle animation played in middle of screen) and finally percentages started to show up and finally (after a much longer wait than normal) it started to play the channel.  It played for maybe 10 seconds then started to buffer again and replayed the same video I saw the first time but this time it was maybe 10 seconds longer.  Then it started to buffer again - and the short play/buffer continued until you cancelled it.

At that time I had emby 7_4.7.6_+x86_64 installed (stable release).

I was not able to watch the game live.

I tried to watch the game while it was being recorded by playing the file being generated and that didnt' work either.

After the game was over I could play the recorded program and that worked like it used to (i.e. played back smoothly).

I have searched the forum and found "Problems with live tv since the update" from June 4 by BlackDub.  He said a beta version worked so I updated to 7_4.8.0.8_x86_64 (beta version).  I did this because in his post he said that version 0.7 worked but when I checked the beta versions the .8 downloaded.  This version did not fix the live tv play problem I am having.  I tried to update backwards to the most current stable release and it says I cannot go backwards. He was asked to include emby log files so I am attaching all the files from today (8/16).

If you need something else please let me know.

I would note that I tried to play live TV (channel 59.1 and note that this is not a show I every have watched it is what it was at the time of my test) on 8/16 which should be the most recent thing in the log file.  I did not try any recording - just play live tv and it did the same buffer play as previously described.

I would also like to say that during the time of the Colts broadcast (in first part of description) I tried to watch the channel live from the guide on my PC.  I used chrome and accessed the synology server and started emby.  I went to the guide and selected the channel the game (Valorant Chat Commands) was on here.   When I did this it played just fine (no buffering).  Maybe this additional information will help determine the problem.

It sounds like you've been having some trouble with Emby while trying to record the Colts football game. That can be really frustrating, especially when you've relied on it for years without any issues. It must have been disappointing not being able to watch the game live as you usually do.

You mentioned that you updated to the beta version 7_4.8.0.8_x86_64, hoping it would resolve the issue. Unfortunately, it didn't help. It's a bummer that you couldn't go back to the previous stable release either.

It might be worth checking the Emby forums to see if others have experienced a similar problem and if there are any known solutions. Including the log files from today (8/16) could also be helpful for the Emby community to assist you in troubleshooting the issue.

I hope you're able to find a solution soon so you can enjoy watching your favorite shows and sports hassle-free again. Hang in there!

• Haha 1