NVIDIA SHield as download target

nunu22

Hello everybody,

i would like to use the download feature of emby server that allows to backup/transfer files to a device or to a folder (with the plugin)

I see all my android mobile device (mobile) and folders for backup BUT i don't see my nvidia shield.

I have added a 1Ti USD SSD as a shield storage to have spaces for media.

Is there a workaround to make this working ? installing a different apk ? etc...

regards

FrostByte

Is Emby server running on the Shield or another device?  If server is running on another machine such as Windows, then you will probably need to set up smb3 on your Shield in order to see it.  I don't use the feature you're talking about, but I'm able to see my Shield on the network both from Windows and Emby server running on my NAS.  That's how I drag-n-drop files to/from my Shield.

You can also sideload the standard Android app on your Shield which has a download function

Hi,

Emby server is on an other location (not on same site).

Nvidia Shield is the Emby client.

for example, the idea will be to push on the Nvidia Shield storage unwatched series/movies and not to stream them from the server.

So, i far as i understood, there is an android tv app and an android app for mobile ?    And android app for mobile will act the nvidia shield as a mobile device ?

In that case, are settings shared between the 2 apps ? or settings are separated ?

1 hour ago, nunu22 said:

And android app for mobile will act the nvidia shield as a mobile device ?

Hi.  Not sure exactly what you mean but the standard app will work on your Shield and present a TV interface.  It also has the download function in the app (no plug-in needed).

3 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Not sure exactly what you mean but the standard app will work on your Shield and present a TV interface.  It also has the download function in the app (no plug-in needed).

What i mean, that it seems that emby on android mobile devices and android TV seems not to be detected by emby server as same devices.

I can't, in "download to  ..." menu select as a destination the android shield. But my mobile phone or backup directory are proposed as target .

Fine, it works !

Thanks !

do we know why, by default, android tv version & windows version of emby can't be a target for "download to ..." feature ?

16 minutes ago, nunu22 said:

do we know why, by default, android tv version & windows version of emby can't be a target for "download to ..." feature ?

Hi.  The Android TV app just never had this feature implemented because it wasn't needed by very many people.  The device is not usually mobile.

i understood, but ... the use case is following :

- i have on an other location, a NAS with videos.

-  i would like to follow, for example, new tv shows or new movies, but due to connection issue i want a local copy of files to be sure to be able to see my videos.

- so i plug a 1To USB SSD to the nvidia shield, and let the shield to download news videos according to download criteria

regards

• 2 weeks later...
tenchiowo

Another use case for being able to download the media to the local device would be using a Shield with a portable projector outdoors. Being able to have the media on the Shield instead of using a laptop or other larger device always reduces the complexity and the need for trying to stream it over a cellular connection from the home server.

Thank you for the information about side loading the Android standard app onto my Shield as this will make the device even more useful.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, tenchiowo said:

Another use case for being able to download the media to the local device would be using a Shield with a portable projector outdoors. Being able to have the media on the Shield instead of using a laptop or other larger device always reduces the complexity and the need for trying to stream it over a cellular connection from the home server.

Thank you for the information about side loading the Android standard app onto my Shield as this will make the device even more useful.  

You could also install a server on the Shield in that instance but the standard app will do.