downloading e-books from Emby into my e-pub reader

VicMoore

VicMoore

Good morning...

I have written my own Emby Web Client to learn how the Emby API works. I can navigate the Emby library and select media to stream (video, and audio) without any problems. I can also explore the Emby server and thereby learn how things work.  I now want to expand my web client to include e-books and comic books.  I have written my own e-pub reader in javascript and I now want to integrate it into my web client.  My problem is that I was positive that the Emby API included the means to download files to a browser. But, I can not find it.  I would appreciate if anyone could point out how to do this.  When I get the file into the browser then I can display it with my e-pub reader. I have attached my test version of the reader below.  It's not finished code but does work. Put both files into the same directory and open the html file in a chrome or Edge browser.  It should give you an idea about what I am trying to do. Click the folder icon to select from your server the e-pub that you want to read. Open the browser console to see the internals of the chosen e-pub. 

Regards, vic

jszip.min.js

embyEPUB_02.html

Edited by VicMoore
  • Like 1

VicMoore

Thanks Luke...  I knew it had to be simple.  I will implement it tonight.

Vic

VicMoore

Luke, I have another question.  Is there a way that I can copy an e-book from the Emby server library to a Javascript string in my browser?  I don't currently have a transparent way to copy a file from the download directory.  I want to simplify the reading of e-books. I will display the e-book covers from the Emby library so the user can just click on a cover and the book opens so it can be read.   Purhaps a book can be streamed in some way, like movies and audio books.

Vic

Well you can do whatever with the download url. You can fetch the contents in JavaScript and then do anything with it.

VicMoore

Thanks Luke,  it's all integrated together.   Now I can read e-books in Emby via a browser.  It' fantastic....

Vic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
iPhoneMaxPro
Il 14/8/2022 alle 15:47, VicMoore ha detto:

Grazie Luke, è tutto integrato insieme. Ora posso leggere gli e-book in Emby tramite un browser. È fantastico...

Vic

hi i saw your amazing project and i am interested, could you please explain how it works/how to install it? the code at the top is finished, is it possible to view the pdf on iphone/android as well?

5 hours ago, iPhoneMaxPro said:

hi i saw your amazing project and i am interested, could you please explain how it works/how to install it? the code at the top is finished, is it possible to view the pdf on iphone/android as well?

Hi, please check out our quick start guide and let us know if this helps:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159034-quick-start

Thanks !