Pixel 6a with Android 13 beta playback issues (direct play)

rdunsirn

rdunsirn

On my Pixel 6a running the latest Android 13 beta 4, when playing Live TV or recorded TV using Direct playback, I'm seeing an issue where the colors are messed up as seen in the attached image. The video plays fine and the audio is fine, it's just the colors.  When I manually tell the app to transcode by changing the quality setting, the problem goes away.  It's only happening when using Direct play.  This problem doesn't occur when using the Chrome browser, however I believe Chrome always forces the server to transcode in Android for live TV or recorded TV.  I can grab some logs when I find them.

Thanks!

Screenshot_20220811-195546.png

Screenshot_20220812-224317.png

Edited by rdunsirn
Added photo showing the stats for nerds
  • Like 1

rdunsirn
I've attached the server logs to the ticket.  Let me know if you need anything else.  I tried grabbing the Android logs, but in Android 13, I don't think I have access to the folder listed.

More information about my device:

Pixel 6a
Android 13
Build TP1A.220624.021.A1

This is the full release of Android 13 now (no longer in beta).

serverlog_08_19_2022_14_34.txt

troyhough

Mine is doing the exact same thing. Pixel 6 Pro. Android 13.

If I enable external video players and choose VLC it plays fine.

If I force transcode, it looks fine.

Plays back fine in VLC, Channels DVR, and HDHR app.

Screenshot_20220825-095540.png

Screenshot_20220825-095756.png

lightsout

I saw someone complain about this same issue with Facebook "reels" on a 6a. They had a screenshot and it was looked similar to the above shots.

• Thanks 1

rdunsirn

I see the same issue with the latest version of the application - 3.2.65

I will post server logs, but I still don't have a way to grab the app logs from the phone.  I keep getting access denied to that directory.  Is there a place to grab the logs from the app?  Otherwise, I can try logcat?

4 hours ago, rdunsirn said:

I see the same issue with the latest version of the application - 3.2.65

I will post server logs, but I still don't have a way to grab the app logs from the phone.  I keep getting access denied to that directory.  Is there a place to grab the logs from the app?  Otherwise, I can try logcat?

You'd have to use the google files app.

rdunsirn

I'm thinking without root, we don't have access to those logs anymore.  I've tried Google files and it shows nothing and FX file explorer says access denied on that directory as well.

Screenshot_20220826-174644.png

Screenshot_20220826-174700.png

Google files works just fine on a pixel 6. You have to get there from the system storage menu.

rdunsirn

Are you on Android 12 or 13?  Google files changed on Android 13.  I can get to the internal storage menu and then get into the filesystem, but most of the directories are inaccessible.  If you are on Android 13, how are you getting into the system files with Google files?

Screenshot_20220826-202404.png

Edited by rdunsirn

Theogeek

This happens to me as well on a Pixel 6 and only with live TV.  It also works if I use an external player like VLC.

That's a non starter though because external players don't save progress.

Edited by Theogeek
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Rianscott

any updates on this because I'm banging my head with Emby at the moment! I have a pixel 6 with android 13 and the same playback issue for over a month now. Anything I can help with to aid the repair? My samsung tab works fine so it must be specific to android 13 or pixel 6

rdunsirn

I've given up with the Emby app on my Android 13 Pixel 6a.  I just use Chrome for now.  I don't think there are enough users on Android 13 or on the Pixel 6 series to justify looking into this issue.  I can't seem to get the log files from the app (Android 13 locks down all application directories in the system partition).

troyhough
1 hour ago, rdunsirn said:

I've given up with the Emby app on my Android 13 Pixel 6a.  I just use Chrome for now.  I don't think there are enough users on Android 13 or on the Pixel 6 series to justify looking into this issue.  I can't seem to get the log files from the app (Android 13 locks down all application directories in the system partition).

I too had to give up on the Emby Android app for my Pixel 6 Pro. This odd color issue combined with the inability to play ATSC3 channels from my HDHR has made it unusable. I have moved to Channels DVR for now...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
swhiting

I have a similar issue with my Pixel 7 Pro (Android 13). Every time I play a video through the app, I get the weird discolored look. The only solutions I have found so far are either setting the In-App settings for video playback to a lower quality which fixes the color issue but increases buffering since it now needs to be transcoded further, or accessing the videos via a web browser. Please fix this.

• Agree 1

wesmckean

I just ran the emby android client for the first time on my Pixel 7 Pro, and I also experienced the same issues.  I was not using any beta, just the normal client and the Mac OS server.  I did confirm that accessing the Emby server through the web browser worked fine.  I'll try changing the resolution as swhiting did and see if that helps.

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
elshagon

Just wanted to say this problem still persists for me on my Pixel 6. If I use an external player (vlc) the file plays fine.

troyhough
9 minutes ago, elshagon said:

Just wanted to say this problem still persists for me on my Pixel 6. If I use an external player (vlc) the file plays fine.

it's shocking how long this bug continues to stick around...

• Agree 1