Emby admin user has no access to shared folder

JPgruenewald
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

JPgruenewald

Hi everyone,

I encounter some access problems when I want to connect to the shared folder "DB" of my media database.

The "DB"-folder is the root node of my shared folder (= shared folder).
Now I want to access this folder during the setup of a new music database using the emby web interface.
The shared folder permissions are set for the admin-group to RW, the default QNAP admin user is disabled (I created a new user, this user is also part of the admin-group). 
In the GUI for user and user group management there is no "emby"-user existing. 

Now finally my question: How can I tell emby which user to use to access shared folders?

Access to public folders is given. My setup info is shown below.

Thanks in advance, regards
JP

-------------------------
QNAP TS-673A with QNAP QuTS Hero h5.0.0.2069
emby-server-qnap_4.7.6.0_x86_64.qpkg

Edited by JPgruenewald

Hi, I've passed this onto our QNAP packaging developer to review and comment on. 

@PenkethBoy may also have some QNAP permissions tips. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

JPgruenewald

Hi @alucryd,

first of all thank for your help. This setting works for me because my public shared folders do have this setting too. The main issue here is, that I don't want to give every user of my NAS access to the whole media folder just to give emby the ability to access it. What I expect is that there should exists an 'emby-system-admin' user for which I can setup the access to the media folder explicitly.

W. r. t. this (click me) thread there is an "emby" user existing on a Synology NAS?

Of course, maybe it's possible to grant access for the "everybody" user group and then doing some blacklisting to block all other users again (to overwrite the access settings again). But this is not convenient at all. Especially when the media data is stored in a folder that is located in some other (family)member's private space.

alucryd

Unlike Synology, Qnap doesn't support running as another user natively, and doing so manually was a lot of trouble back when we first produced the package because the OS was lacking essential tools to do so. Maybe it's changed today but historically the server has been running as admin because of that. Not sure what user it uses when the default admin user is disabled though, if you can check that. Maybe you don't even need to be read-only for everyone if it's running as your admin user.

JPgruenewald

My analysis result is, that when your default admin user was disabled the fallback user is the guest user account. In the following mockup the shared folder is "TestShare" and the "Database" folder contains the media files. Moreover, the admin user was replaced by "MyAdmin" that is part of the "administrators" user group.

The settings that do not work look like this

image.png.bc3fb928dfd2588e629ec0dfeb905369.png

image.png.152e1ec22e70f0e7cffa8ac45d292c2e.png

image.png.941429fb40f3e665fc9a5c83d73e63c1.png

The settings that work look like this

image.png.edd6e7283fc7612fd834d067c7292cf3.png

image.png.f3e91127a601555ed8f3f589d4ce812c.png

image.png.896a29b0c3e87921615929324b1f6dc0.png

Then the path is found in the web interface as follows:

image.thumb.png.c0da4cb50d197e2f3d391abe5f6e6305.png

alucryd

Thanks for the analysis, I'll revisit that next time I start the qnap. But if we do move to a dedicated user, we're bound to break quite a few installations so I'm not sure it's a smart move for us at this point, will have to discuss it internally.

JPgruenewald

Thank you @alucryd for your openness to this topic. I think a dedicated user would be a better solution. I understand that this is not easy and above all not immediately realizable. I would be very happy if you would keep me informed about the internal decision. If I can support you somehow (e.g. as a beta tester) I can do that with pleasure.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
JPgruenewald

I would like to inform you that unfortunately I cancelled my Premiere subscription today. I still hope that you will fix the issue with access rights or user rights in the near future so that I can switch back to emby. Please give me feedback via this thread as soon as you have news about this. Thanks a lot and hope to hear you soon!

• Solution

I notice you setup your library using a UNC network path, e.g. \\ip\testshare\database

This will make things much more complicated. Why not just setup the library using the direct local path? I suspect that will resolve your issue.

• Like 1