How to Turn off PiP on Shield?

Bigmack3000

Bigmack3000

I'm using the android app on my shield. I accidentally hit the home button while watching a movie.  I found out that when that happens, the movie continues to play in a small box.  I'd much rather the movie pause and the app close in that circumstance.  How do I turn off picture-in-picture?

HI, there is currently no option to control this but it's certainly possible for future updates. Thanks.

Bigmack3000

Wait, what? Pip is automatic and non-removable?? Oh, that's very weird.  Can this please be made optional?  

• 5 months later...
swallman

Just ran into this today on a FireTV stick running the Android (non ATV) app.  Definitely needs to be an option.  My video (a high bitrate 4K video) kept playing and basically made my Firestick almost unusable.

• Thanks 1

horstepipe

This issue makes the android app unusable imo. 
If pip is accidentally enabled, the tube completely gives up and you manually need to restart it by powering it off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 10 months later...

Hi, was there ever an update on this please? Have realised that if I hit the shield menu button during DV playback the whole thing hangs as horstepipe mentions above, meaning it takes some significant wrangling or restarting the whole shield to get it back to playback. It certainly seems related to emby going into pip mode. Menu works fine when paused or in HDR or sdr. Thanks

5 hours ago, Veeb said:

Hi, was there ever an update on this please? Have realised that if I hit the shield menu button during DV playback the whole thing hangs as horstepipe mentions above, meaning it takes some significant wrangling or restarting the whole shield to get it back to playback. It certainly seems related to emby going into pip mode. Menu works fine when paused or in HDR or sdr. Thanks

Hi, we'll take a look at that. Thanks for reporting.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
js28194

May want to check SHEILD - Settings - Apps - Special App Access - Picture-in-Picture & also display over other apps and see if Emby is turned on.  I was surprised this was even an option since I have never encountered this, but I use Kodi 99% of the time anyway. 

I do have this enabled on my phone though remotely, play's in a small box over maps :)

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, js28194 said:

May want to check SHEILD - Settings - Apps - Special App Access - Picture-in-Picture & also display over other apps and see if Emby is turned on.  I was surprised this was even an option since I have never encountered this, but I use Kodi 99% of the time anyway. 

I do have this enabled on my phone though remotely, play's in a small box over maps :)

Problem solved! Thanks so much, really appreciate it! 

js28194
On 12/21/2023 at 3:53 PM, Veeb said:

Problem solved! Thanks so much, really appreciate it! 

Can you mark as solved? Will help others.

Edited by js28194