Emby.Kids Channel

chef

chef

I feel like I owe the community one or two because I wasn't able to write a successful watch party plugin.

Kids Channel:

Creates a collection of  movie items acceptable  for your kids. Rated "G" from your library. (

(Disclaimer: This plugin will look at movie rating of "G" to decide if it is appropriate. The channel should be checked by a parent first to make sure all items are indeed appropriate for your children. Use Emby's built-in Metadata Editor to change Custom Patental Ratings values to ensure the library is actually safe for your kids!)

Yeah sure they could have their own account, but what if they are driving you nuts, and all you want is for them to "Sit down! Be quiet! Let Dad have a moment of silence!".... oh... was that out loud???

Well, now you can simply scroll over the the "Kids Movies" channel and let them choose something, so you can finally have "just one moment of peace and quiet before the wife get home!" .... yikes speaking out loud again 😆

Yes you too can find that silent moment between sibling rivalry.

1391213724_kidschannel.thumb.png.54027231b9d0ea6c6a25a96a9df8dbf2.png

788500982_kidschannel_ui.thumb.png.553e66cc0e878e9c83094b9e7ad94196.png

Emby.KidsChannel_v1.0.0.2.zip

Install, restart the server, and run "Refresh Internet Channels" Scheduled Task.

Coming Soon "Top Picks Channel"

Create custom Top Picks for your users and display them on the home screen.

toppicks.thumb.png.9df34be891aba3f3538d1331b45f54d6.png

Enjoy! 

Edited by chef
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

seanbuff

hey @chef this is awesome.

Question: does it only look at the Parental rating or does it use the Custom rating if populated?

image.png.f850f7ec330955f92ae18c1b3000867d.png

I typically manually override official PG ratings as G if I deem them appropriate. The core parental controls use the Custom rating if available.

• Like 1

Junglejim

Nice work as always mate! It's great to keep the kids quiet for at least 10 min.. 😆

The "Top Picks" looks cool too, sort of like a spotlight channel. 👍

• Thanks 1

chef
8 hours ago, seanbuff said:

hey @chef this is awesome.

Question: does it only look at the Parental rating or does it use the Custom rating if populated?

image.png.f850f7ec330955f92ae18c1b3000867d.png

I typically manually override official PG ratings as G if I deem them appropriate. The core parental controls use the Custom rating if available.

I will double check the query to see if custom rating is a property.

Just to make sure.

I did notice that if an item has no official rating data it seems to sneak through the filter. I will take care of that as well, and update the plugin.

Edited by chef

chef

I've updated the version to 1.0.0.1

1. Items without  Parental Ratings is ensured to be ignored

Looks like if the item has a Custom rating, then the API returns that value in the  "OfficalRating" property. So if you change an items Custom Rating it should show up (or be removed) in the kids channel.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Should the server create dynamic image for the channel?

image.png.ea71c87b8876e30c32063ec69e4174c2.png

seanbuff

hey @chef I just got around to testing this just now, after running the Refresh Internet Channels task (which took 5 seconds) I have noticed that it appears to not have scanned my main Movies library and instead only pulled in stuff from 3 or 4 other libraries with G content.

Let me know if you need a log.

chef
24 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Should the server create dynamic image for the channel?

image.png.ea71c87b8876e30c32063ec69e4174c2.png

That's a good question. I'm not sure. I would have thought so.

Probabaly need to supply one in the channel setup. I can add one.

chef
3 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

hey @chef I just got around to testing this just now, after running the Refresh Internet Channels task (which took 5 seconds) I have noticed that it appears to not have scanned my main Movies library and instead only pulled in stuff from 3 or 4 other libraries with G content.

It should have grabbed all

items with a type of movie and rating "G"  in the library.db.

Maybe a log would be good to see how it created the item list. 

arrbee99

If you're really bored, and you've tried aversion therapy, and...(you don't want to know what comes next), maybe there could be a way to come up with a decades channel, so you could possibly have a 40's one, or a 90's one. Or something.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

chef
5 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

If you're really bored, and you've tried aversion therapy, and...(you don't want to know what comes next), maybe there could be a way to come up with a decades channel, so you could possibly have a 40's one, or a 90's one. Or something.

Yup! I just need to figure out how to fill a channel with a folder, and place items in it.

But this is totally doable.

I wanted to add tv shows to the kids channel, but I couldn't figure out how to add items to a channel folder.

I'll figure it out because this is a good idea. 

I think MediaBrowser use to do this, so we'll bring it back. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

arrbee99

Would be really great, thanks. Course I'm not sure what the definition of a channel actually is (keep on thinking of TV  channels) but the ones in the first post don't look like TV channels to me, not that it matters. But anyway, hopefully it'd be nice to easily change the decade to a different one every so often if poss...

Edited by arrbee99

seanbuff
1 hour ago, chef said:

Maybe a log would be good to see how it created the item list.

PM sent. Thanks.

chef
1 hour ago, seanbuff said:

I've updated the channel plugin to v 1.0.0.2

I was able to recreate this issue. Thank you @seanbuff.

I changed the library query to get all the movies and then  filter items with "CustomRatings" equals to "G", and also OfficalRatings equal to "G" after instead of trying to filter the actual db query.

This seemed to fix the issue, and the channel library added all my custom rating items.

So please try out 1.0.0.2 posted above.

Probably best everyone update to that version. :) 

Edited by chef
  • Thanks 1

seanbuff
21 hours ago, chef said:

This seemed to fix the issue, and the channel library added all my custom rating items.

So please try out 1.0.0.2 posted above.

hey @chef no luck with the updated version, still not scanning my main movies library

sending log by PM

• 1 month later...
Happy2Play

FYI, doing a library scan via the api generated a dynamic image (Refresh metadata does the same but this info would not need refreshing).  So, I guess the question is can Channels have a Scan Library context menu option?

(Kids Movies Channel) We can change Custom Rating to make items appear here but cannot remove CR to make them be removed.

Actually, found the issue as changing metadata via this channel reflects the change but going to the library where the item resides does not reflect the change.

Channel item

image.thumb.png.369f5d4d7b80cf648e60983b95beda56.png

Actual item in media library

image.thumb.png.03772029c15d5ae78d143f9cab7b4f89.png

Manipulating metadata in channel does not change the media library item metadata.  But I guess this is sort of correct as these are technically different database items.

So, items cannot be removed from channel once they are seen unless changing metadata for actual media library item.

Happy2Play

Not a major issue but do to it being a channel, you will get duplicate results in Search as these create their own itemids.

One issue I have found is if delete media the item still remains in the Kids Channel. @chef

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Not a major issue but do to it being a channel, you will get duplicate results in Search as these create their own itemids.

One issue I have found is if delete media the item still remains in the Kids Channel. @chef

Interesting, what happens if you refresh internet channels after removing the item from the library? Does the kids channel change?

Might need to attach to the library updated event to run internet channel refreshes when an item has been removed, and it has a "G" rating.

Happy2Play
7 hours ago, chef said:

Interesting, what happens if you refresh internet channels after removing the item from the library? Does the kids channel change?

Nothings, item is removed from media library but not channel.  Library scans and Refresh channels makes no difference.  And trying to remove via the api gives Unauthorized access.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Nothings, item is removed from media library but not channel.  Library scans and Refresh channels makes no difference.  And trying to remove via the api gives Unauthorized access.

Cool I can fix that.

b0dyr0ck2006

could you add a settings page so that we can add more parental ratings such as: GB-U, U, G 

Currently the rating G returns about 8 results yet if I filter by the above I receive over 150 results

Happy2Play

@chef Yes, as G would be country specific and still leave out items.  Emby links ratings to an index but would have to ask devs how this actually works behind the scenes.  So this would actually need to target index to work across country mpaa.

couple examples

LoadRatings("us", new[] {

new ParentalRating("TV-Y", 1),
                new ParentalRating("APPROVED", 1),
                new ParentalRating("G", 1),
                new ParentalRating("E", 1),
                new ParentalRating("EC", 1),
                new ParentalRating("TV-G", 1),
                new ParentalRating("TV-Y7", 3),
                new ParentalRating("TV-Y7-FV", 4),
                new ParentalRating("PG", 5),
                new ParentalRating("TV-PG", 5),
                new ParentalRating("PG-13", 7),
                new ParentalRating("T", 7),
                new ParentalRating("TV-14", 8),
                new ParentalRating("R", 9),
                new ParentalRating("M", 9),
                new ParentalRating("TV-MA", 9),
                new ParentalRating("NC-17", 10),
                new ParentalRating("AO", 15),
                new ParentalRating("RP", 15),
                new ParentalRating("UR", 15),
                new ParentalRating("NR", 15),
                new ParentalRating("X", 15),
                new ParentalRating("XXX", 15)
            });
            LoadRatings("ru", new[] {

new ParentalRating("RU-0+", 1),
                new ParentalRating("RU-6+", 3),
                new ParentalRating("RU-12+", 7),
                new ParentalRating("RU-16+", 9),
                new ParentalRating("RU-18+", 10)
            });

LoadRatings("uk", new[] {

new ParentalRating("UK-U", 1),
                new ParentalRating("UK-PG", 5),
                new ParentalRating("UK-12", 7),
                new ParentalRating("UK-12A", 7),
                new ParentalRating("UK-15", 9),
                new ParentalRating("UK-18", 10),
                new ParentalRating("UK-R18", 15)
            });

• Agree 1

Parental rating is an enumeration.

I would have thought that the API rating would map back over the different countries versions of level of control.

If the enum return G = 1, then U should also equal 1.

1 hour ago, b0dyr0ck2006 said:

could you add a settings page so that we can add more parental ratings such as: GB-U, U, G 

Currently the rating G returns about 8 results yet if I filter by the above I receive over 150 results

It does not do that apparently.

Maybe I wrote it wrong, maybe I'm suppose to pass in 1 instead of the string version of the enum... ???

A config is gonna take time... I dunno.

Let's see if passing the value of 1 will work first.

• Like 1