cant play HEVC movie on android tv

hisune
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

hisune

Emby server: 4.7.6.0 on Windows 11 21H2

Android TV version: 2.0.77g

Android tv cannot be played, but both Android phones and Web pages can be played normally. Click the play button to keep going in circles:

769150069__20220807205411.thumb.jpg.cf65c4ec2afc66aac85b8a61df2558fe.jpg

The video information is as follows

1079510926_20220807205045.thumb.png.919366b2a4e010b830340566028b6d58.png

android tv client version:

412414903__20220807205416.thumb.jpg.f322a58e14d003d8edbf783950788f33.jpg

server log:

2022-08-07 20:51:57.106 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 206 to host2. Time: 23428ms. http://172.16.1.126:8096/emby/videos/102258/stream.mkv?DeviceId=fee988a7a3f6b385&MediaSourceId=76afd1ad2aea3482c8c941fe560ff5b4&Static=true&PlaySessionId=1175bb92d8634bcea6d7069d7dbd7060&SubtitleCodec=pgssub
2022-08-07 20:51:57.144 Info Server: http/1.1 POST http://172.16.1.126:8096/emby/Sessions/Playing/Stopped. UserAgent: Dalvik/2.1.0 (Linux; U; Android 11; H96_Max_RK3566 Build/RQ2A.210505.003)
2022-08-07 20:51:57.145 Info SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app AndroidTv 2.0.77g playing 快乐的大脚. Stopped at 0 ms
2022-08-07 20:51:57.145 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 204 to host2. Time: 1ms. http://172.16.1.126:8096/emby/Sessions/Playing/Stopped

FrostByte
40 minutes ago, hisune said:

I turned on the debug switch and clicked the send log after play the item for 20 sec. He told me that the log sended successfully.

You should also include the following per the instrucitions so that the devs can find your log and problem more quickly.

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time
Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Yes, please provide that information because the log I found from just before you posted had no playback and also wasn't from an Android TV it didn't appear.

hisune
8 hours ago, FrostByte said:

You should also include the following per the instrucitions so that the devs can find your log and problem more quickly.

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

1.  My problem is that the video cannot be played on the Android TV client, and there are detailed information about the video in the screenshot

2.  I don't know how to modify the time zone, I think this time zone modification should not affect the video playback

3.  The logged-in account is an account without a password. The account name is "tv”. I don't think that different logged-in accounts will affect video playback.

4. Debugging has been turned on on the client as required, and the log has been sent after clicking the play button for more than 20 seconds

Edited by hisune

hisune
7 hours ago, ebr said:

Yes, please provide that information because the log I found from just before you posted had no playback and also wasn't from an Android TV it didn't appear.

Debugging has been turned on on the client as required, and the log has been sent after clicking the play button for more than 20 seconds

FrostByte
11 minutes ago, hisune said:

1.  My problem is that the video cannot be played on the Android TV client, and there are detailed information about the video in the screenshot

2.  I don't know how to modify the time zone, I think this time zone modification should not affect the video playback

3.  The logged-in account is an account without a password. The account name is "tv”. I don't think that different logged-in accounts will affect video playback.

4. Debugging has been turned on on the client as required, and the log has been sent after clicking the play button for more than 20 seconds

1.  Great

2. Then just give the devs the time you sent the logs and where you live so they can convert your time to theirs and find your log.  It has nothing to do with playback

3. Again, it has nothing to do with playback.  The user logged on is so the devs can locate the correct logs as they have numerous logs sent to them every day.  You said the Emby user logged on was "tv" so that will help

4. Great, did you also send them the time you sent the logs so they can find your log?

hisune
7 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

1.  Great

2. Then just give the devs the time you sent the logs and where you live so they can convert your time to theirs and find your log.  It has nothing to do with playback

3. Again, it has nothing to do with playback.  The user logged on is so the devs can locate the correct logs as they have numerous logs sent to them every day.  You said the Emby user logged on was "tv" so that will help

4. Great, did you also send them the time you sent the logs so they can find your log?

I sent the log at 08/07/22 11:57 PM China time (GMT+8)

Edited by hisune
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, hisune said:

I sent the log at 08/07/22 11:57 PM China time (GMT+8)

Hi.  Can you please try again and send the log right from the video playback screen.  Right after it starts, with the circle spinning, press the "down" arrow and then navigate over to the "cog" icon, select it and then select "Send Log" from there.  Then report the time you did that here.

Thanks.

hisune

I tested the Android version and it also can’t be played normally, but it’s a bit different from the TV version. Also, many videos can’t be played. When playing, they are stuck on the poster page and cannot enter the play page. After returning to the desktop, the sound will play in the background, after returning to the app, you will enter a black screen playback page

762960472__20220808222810.thumb.jpg.e06fa50bdf564bcabb686ce690489c8c.jpg

• Solution

Hi.  What device is this?  I do not recognize it.  It may be that it has an incomplete or erroneous codec implementation.  I don't see any errors that I can pinpoint as the cause though.

hisune
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What device is this?  I do not recognize it.  It may be that it has an incomplete or erroneous codec implementation.  I don't see any errors that I can pinpoint as the cause though.

My device model is: H96_Max_RK3566, https://www.amazon.com/H96-Max-Bluetooth-Wireless-Keyboard/dp/B093Y7SDSW

Android TV version: 11

CPU: RK3566

RAM: 8GB

ROM: 128GB

1 hour ago, hisune said:

And using chrome on android tv can play normally.

Hi.  It is transcoding in that case, correct?

Hi.  I believe this must be a device specific issue of some sort.  I'm not sure how else to troubleshoot from here.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:31 PM, hisune said:

I tested the Android version and it also can’t be played normally, but it’s a bit different from the TV version. Also, many videos can’t be played. When playing, they are stuck on the poster page and cannot enter the play page. After returning to the desktop, the sound will play in the background, after returning to the app, you will enter a black screen playback page

762960472__20220808222810.thumb.jpg.e06fa50bdf564bcabb686ce690489c8c.jpg

Standard Android app not work too. @Luke

Edited by hisune

RanmaCanada

From my years of experience with Chinese Android boxes, usually the HEVC codec is completely broken and it needs an updated or custom replacement firmware.  In my educated opinion this is not a problem with Emby, this is a problem with the software on the device.  Can you try playing the movie on a USB stick in that box and see if the box plays it back properly.

1 minute ago, RanmaCanada said:

From my years of experience with Chinese Android boxes, usually the HEVC codec is completely broken and it needs an updated or custom replacement firmware.  In my educated opinion this is not a problem with Emby, this is a problem with the software on the device.  Can you try playing the movie on a USB stick in that box and see if the box plays it back properly.

I bought another android box yesterday and it plays fine. Thank you for your reply, it made me more sure that it is the problem of this android box.