Synology - saved Movies in Embyserver

user101xy

user101xy

What happens is what was inserted in the previous screenshots inserted here in the thread.

The local IP address is (192.168.178.20) in my Fritz!Box router.

Moment. I'm watching the video now.

user101xy

I left the port at 22. That was my fault. I had the value changed from 22 on to 8022

Hell, what got into me.

Edited by user101xy
  • Thanks 1

user101xy

Thanks @Luke!!!

Do you also have instructions for Mac OS, please?

Now I know how to do it.

Edited by user101xy

user101xy

I am searching, the way, how to do it on Mac OS..

How can i do those steps on Mac OS, please?

Thanks!

Edited by user101xy

user101xy

Didn´t found a solution, to make those steps on Mac OS.

If you could please, @cayars you could help me please, to do this on Mac OS?

Edited by user101xy

user101xy

I would like to know both solution. Just to be secure, if my Windows machine won´t run...

Could you, please @Luke? 🙂 

Edited by user101xy

What exactly is it you're trying to do on the Mac?

I don't know if this is any help to you but this is good information to know.

Pretty much anything you don on one platform is the same on another platform except for where the base set of Emby files get installed which are OS dependent.

To find the basic location of where Emby is installed you can look at the beginning part of the server log which will have this info or you can quite easily click the 3 dot menu on the Dashboard

image.png

then click View Server Info

image.png

Debian Linux Example

image.png

Windows Example

• Thanks 1

user101xy
On 8/7/2022 at 9:30 PM, Luke said:

First of all thank you!

This is how it works on Windows. But WinSCP does not exist for Mac as far as I know. Basically, I need instructions on how to access the hidden "EMBYSERVER" folder. It doesn't appear in Synology.

Edited by user101xy

The best method is to learn to do it "right". By that I really mean the normal or typical way.  Once you learn the basic skill to do this it works for Linux, BSD, Synology, Mac and even Windows.

Basically, the nutshell version is to turn on SSH on the host.  Then use a SSH client to connect to the host.    You can then go superuser or root with sudo -i or su depending on OS.  At that point you have access to the whole file system. You will want to google Linux command line basic commands to learn how to mkdir (make a directory), cd (change directory, mv (move files or folders), cp (copy files or folders), ls (list directory) or ls -l (get long version), etc.

The above are key things to know when you want to do things past what an OS GUI allows. Tools such as WinSCP are sort of band aids in a sense but you are far better off spending an hour or two watching a couple Youtube videos and some basic googling to learn these basic techniques.

There really is no alternative as these are basic skills an admin of the system should know or be familiar with.

• Confused 1

I've lost track of what you're trying to do.  What exactly are you trying to do on the Mac?

How many different Emby Servers are you running?

• Thanks 1

user101xy

@cayarsI am using one Emby Server on a Synology DSM7 DS218play.

I would like to access and locate, with my Mac, the hidden folder "EmbyServer" on my NAS, which contains the Recordings, so i can transfer this, to an other folder. So i can delete this folder, and using only the volume1/videos folder, which i have access, via Finder.

image.png.492a81d0636ee10623d8c6cb0d24a3d3.png

Edited by user101xy

What you can do is go into Live TV and pick any channel and record something. You can cancel the recording in 5 to 10 seconds.

Now go to the logs menu and open the embyserver.txt log file at the top.  Scroll to the bottom of the file and you should fine your recording. You can also do a search (ctrl-F) for "Saving Recording". You will have a line similar to this which will show the folder you're storing recordings in.  For me it's /MediaCollection/DVR as I've moved the location.

2022-08-13 22:21:57.132 Info LiveTV: Saving recording image to /MediaCollection/DVR/48 Hours (1987)/poster.jpg

You can create a new directory somewhere else if you like and copy/move your recordings to the new location.  Make sure you grant the internal system emby user read/write access to this new location.

Now go to the Live TV menu and click the Advanced tab at the top.  You can configure the new default recording path here. Because I left the movie and series paths blank, Emby Server will create a movie and series folder under the DVR path I set automatically.  I myself don't use those two fields unless I'm using different locations such as Drive 1 for movies and Drive 2 for Series. So leave those two blank if storing to the same location.

image.png

Optionally you could leave current recordings where they are and just set the location to be used moving forward.

One last thing to change is your Recording Library.  You will either add a 2nd path keeping the first where it is or replace it like I did:
image.png

Instead of doing a recording and looking at the log you can of course check to see if you have the "Default recording path:" already filled in and/or you can check the Recording Library entry which should be pointing to the current location.  You have 3 ways of possibly finding the path but the first while more work is full proof.

If you need help with a copy or move command to transfer the recordings to a new location let us know the current location as found above as well as the new location you created for recordings.  Someone will be able to give you the commands to use from the command line using SSH.

Carlo

• Like 1

You may want to install SynoCli File Tools from package center. This includes Midnight Commander.

Midnight Commander (also known as mc) is a free cross-platform file manager that's a clone of Norton Commander. It's cross platform built so it can be installed on just about anything including windows.  It would give you similar type functionality to WinSCP in that it supports SFTP/FTP client, has a built in editor, 2 pane folder layout for easy file/folder manipulation, etc.

With MC installed on Synology you can open/connect via SSH.
"sudo -i" to become root
mc to launch Midnight Commander.

• Thanks 1

user101xy

Nice...!!!

in the moment i am a little bit busy...

But next days i´ll try..

Best thanks and regards

user101xy

Strange... couldn´t find in the Package Center of my Synology, the SynoCli File Tools or MC.... 🤔🙄

PS: @cayars i have called Synology, but they said, that isn´t a supported Package. Searching via Google, couldn´t fine any link, where i can download and install SynoCLi File Tools

Edited by user101xy

FrostByte

SynoCli is in the SynoCommunity repository.

Download the spk for your NAS from the following link, or add the repository to PC to see everything there

SynoCommunity

• Like 1

FrostByte

Step 1

Skip this step if you are on DSM7 or later.

Log into your NAS as administrator and go to Main Menu → Package Center → Settings and set Trust Level to Synology Inc. and trusted publishers.

Step 2

In the Package Sources tab, click Add, type SynoCommunity as Name and https://packages.synocommunity.com/ as Location and then press OK to validate.

Step 3

Go back to the Package Center and enjoy SynoCommunity's packages in the Community tab.

image.thumb.jpeg.e2ae467c379c3d06ced65dae94d9b5ad.jpeg

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2