Using Internet streaming bitrate limit through reverse proxy

Samkook

Samkook

I'm trying to set a limit of 7Mbps for all internet connections with the "Internet streaming bitrate limit" option since above that is causing issues, but since I'm using a reverse proxy on my router to handle all emby external connections, it sets those to my router ip and the limit isn't used since that's considered my local network(rightly so).

I've notice that there's a "LAN networks" option in the "Network" section that can define what the local network address are but I only want to exclude 1 so I'm not sure if that'll work without having to specify every valid addresses I may use one by one, which would be problematic. What I'd need is the opposite of that function, something that makes LAN adresses be considered as WAN ones.

Is there a way to do this without having to specify every LAN address I may use to play videos on my LAN one by one?

Hi, I would suggest comparing your reverse proxy setup to this:

If you can configure the proxy to allow Emby Server to see the original client ip addresses, then this will allow the server to correctly determine if a connection is external or not.

• Like 1

Samkook

I use the proxy(HAProxy) for a lot more than just emby and wouldn't want to use a different one since it would be a pain to manage multiple certificate.

I tried looking into if I can expose the ip directly but I don't think I can without causing issues or lowering security.

Yea I linked to that because most reverse proxies have the same type of settings, so even if you're not using nginx, you can still pick up a few things from that guide.

• Like 1

Samkook

I managed to find the equivalent setting on HAProxy but I can't simply apply it to emby, it has to be on everything.

It doesn't seem to cause any issues for the other stuff at first glance so hopefully everything will be fine, thanks. I'll update if I find out it interferes with other stuff in the future.

• Thanks 1

pir8radio
On 8/3/2022 at 4:29 PM, Samkook said:

I managed to find the equivalent setting on HAProxy but I can't simply apply it to emby, it has to be on everything.

It doesn't seem to cause any issues for the other stuff at first glance so hopefully everything will be fine, thanks. I'll update if I find out it interferes with other stuff in the future.

there isnt an x-forwarded-for header you can add in your proxy per site?     Yea i just looked..
https://www.haproxy.com/documentation/hapee/latest/load-balancing/client-ip-preservation/add-x-forward-for-header/

I didn't dig in but even if you have to do that server wide, it shouldn't effect any other service.    x-forwarded-for is a normal header that tells the back end server who all handled this request. it also contains the originators IP.  add this and your remote users ip's should start to show up in emby.. then the built in bandwidth settings should work.      you can do it in the proxy, but it also limits everything else..  downloads, pulling of images etc.. 

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

Samkook

I'm configuring it through a GUI on pfsense and not super familiar with it so I'm not saying it's impossible, but I can't find a way to apply it to only a specific backend, just on a specific frontend and all my websites go through the same frontend.

That's the header I enabled last wednesday before my reply to luke which made the ip show up in emby and yeah, doesn't seem to cause any issues so should be fine. I don't really use it much outside of my network atm so pretty limited testing was done though.

Edited by Samkook
  • Thanks 2