Unsupported Audio Not Transcoding (Xiaomi Mi TV Stick)

huntername
Go to solution Solved by huntername,

huntername

I'm using the android tv app but on an uncommon device, the Xiaomi Mi TV stick, which I learned doesn't support AC3 audio. When I play a file with AC3 audio it just plays soundless video, even though audio transcoding is enabled. All other files play normally. It seems like the Emby server is not detecting that the audio format is not supported.

20 minutes ago, huntername said:

an uncommon device, the Xiaomi Mi TV stick, which I learned doesn't support AC3 audio

Hi.  That is not that uncommon of a device and it should support AC3 as long as whatever it is hooked up to also does.

Can we please look at an example?  Please play that item for a few seconds and then follow the instructions to send a log from the app?

huntername

Hi, I've just sent a log from the app at 10:53am EST today, Aug 4, by user Mint while playing Y Tu Mama Tambien from the Xiaomi Mi TV Stick. The video plays but without sound. All transcoding options are enabled for the user.

I'm not sure I'll be able to try the sideloaded app as the user is remote and not tech savvy. Please let me know if that's critical to the troubleshooting.

Thanks again for your help--

Edited by huntername
clarified time zone

Hi.  The device is reporting support for that audio:

D EventLogger:       [X] Track:0, id=2, mimeType=audio/ac3, channels=6, sample_rate=48000, language=es, supported=YES

In fact, it is reporting support for most audio formats:

I System.out: Reported device audio support is: ,ac3,eac3,ac4,dts,dtshd

What are all the components involved and how are they hooked up?  Also, how did you set the Android audio settings?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
huntername

After some tinkering it turned out to be an issue with the Android audio settings. Setting the audio format settings to "None: never use surround sound" allowed videos with AC3 audio to play back normally. Thanks again for all your help.

• Thanks 2