HDHomeRun Live TV tuning takes 9 seconds

richardcastle

richardcastle

Emby Server 4.7.5.0 running on i5-3470 with Intel HD graphics. Windows 10 H1H2. 8gb RAM.

Emby Theatre 3.0.15 on direct wired Windows 10 client

Direct Play stream from HD Homerun Quatro

Premier subscriber with Hardware Transcoding turned on.

Changing channels, particularly HD channels can take up to 9 seconds to commence playback. Painfully slow when compared to the native HDHomeRun Windows app which starts the stream within 4 seconds.

I get this issue across the board with all of my client devices, although I use Emby Theatre the most.

Stats for nerds is showing that the stream is being Direct Played - 10mbps @ 25fps. Lipsync is pretty terrible too.

Network is gigabit ethernet between all devices. Network switch is Ubiquiti.

Dropped frames is 0

I snapped the specific log file entry from the point I clicked play, to the point the stream started playing properly. Attached. I've also attached the full log as required.

I've never had this working well on my system.

Thoughts?

emby.txt embyserver - full.txt

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 2:11 PM, RobDenny said:

I'm on 4.8.0.7 and it's the same 

Have you updated to 4.8.0.8?

Guest CodeCat5
7 hours ago, Luke said:

Have you updated to 4.8.0.8?

I'm not the OP but I just upgraded to see if it helps. For me most HD channels would take 10~ seconds to tune and any ATSC 3.0 channels will often take 30~ seconds to tune. The only difference I see now is that I'm no longer able to tune ASTC 3.0 channels at all since the circle just keeps spinning and never changes. I've attached logs where I first tried to tune an ASTC 3.0 channel and failed, then tuned to a HD channel which took about 10 seconds, and then trying another ASTC 3.0 channel and failing.

Note that trying to tune an ATSC 3.0 channel in my web browser also behaves similarly but after a minute or so it shows an error: "No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details."

I reverted back to 4.7.6.0 and ATSC 3.0 channels are working as expected again. When changing channels it was fairly quick with HD and ATSC 3.0 channels taking about 7-8 seconds to tune, but the last channel I tried was an ATSC 3.0 one that took nearly 30 seconds to tune again. I added the updated logs below in case it helps.

ffmpeg-transcode-08b9a389-2664-444d-84ad-b99559bd8a5d_1.txt embyserver(6).txt

ffmpeg-transcode-b6928c5c-8858-458c-b1f8-f53dd0addd8b_1.txt embyserver(7).txt

Edited by CodeCat5

RobDenny

Hi @Lukeand @CodeCat5I wanted to update with my logs and a short video. I have a Quad HDHomeRun in the UK, and my tuning also take 10 seconds from selection to playing as you can see from the video, is this normal? 

I have also attached the logs from the play (started at 2022-08-27 19:15:09.108). You'll notice that it tunes to the channel pretty quick, but then waits 6-7 seconds to actually start playback. 

embyserver.txt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
richardcastle
On 05/08/2022 at 19:05, Luke said:

HI, have you updated to Emby Server 4.7.6? How does that compare?

Hi Luke. Sorry for the delay in responding. I've updated to 4.7.6 and whilst the lipsync issue I mentioned previously appears to have been resolved, the stream load times remain high. It's possible that this update improved things a little. A second, maybe half a second improvement but hardly statistically significant.

Happy to pull more debug down if anyone wants to piece through log files.

Rich

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 5:28 PM, richardcastle said:

Hi Luke. Sorry for the delay in responding. I've updated to 4.7.6 and whilst the lipsync issue I mentioned previously appears to have been resolved, the stream load times remain high. It's possible that this update improved things a little. A second, maybe half a second improvement but hardly statistically significant.

Happy to pull more debug down if anyone wants to piece through log files.

Rich

Hi there, yes please. Let's look at an example. Thanks.