Speed up access contents and browse folders

Super957

Super957

There is a way to speed up client-side viewing and browse folders ?

I use plugin Cover Art it is this plugin that can slow down the display of various movies

Thank

Hispa

Happy2Play

What are your Database settings? Settings-Database

Super957

Here is it

Thank

Hsipa

Senza titolo.png

Edited by Super957
Modify

Super957

This is my situation on NAS, as you see majority are movies

Hispa

Senza titolo2.png

Edited by Super957

Super957

Please HELP...following this thread

i put 1024 (MB) and select "Vacuum database" on the next Emby restart... but after restart Emby (14,00) are pass 4 hours and at this moment 18,00 Emby is not usable !

My movies and others are more or less 11TB, +/- 5..000 movies/serietv

Is normal ?

If it is not normal what can I do?

Thank

Hispa

Edited by Super957

it is this plugin that can slow down the display of various movies

Yes it can.

Hispanico957

Ok thank but vacuum work from 5 hours... Is normal? 

If in not normal what can I do?

Hisoa

And in my situato. 1024 MB is correct? 

Edited by Hispanico957

Hispanico957
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

Is what normal? 

If vacuum work from 6 hours and not finish... i must await or restart nas and emby but in this case pheraps database can be corrupt

Hispa 

Edited by Hispanico957

6 hours is pretty extreme, but yes the vacuum can take a long time if the disk is slow.

Super957
6 minutes ago, Luke said:

6 hours is pretty extreme, but yes the vacuum can take a long time if the disk is slow.

My 4 disks are WD Red Plus 8 TB NAS 3.5", Clas 7.200 RPM, SATA 6 GB/s, CMR, Cache 256 MB

So in this consideration better await more or restart nas ?

Hispa

Edited by Super957

Super957
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Only you can decide how long you're willing to wait.

There is a way to understand if Emby Server work for "Vacuum" or not ?

But are the chances of database corruption high?

Please give me the best advice given your experience

Hispa

Edited by Super957

Super957

Ok restrt NAs and Emby and all is ok.... 

I have not had any problems with a corrupt database.

So please 2 question:

1 - 1024MB in my configuration is OK ??

2 - why vacuum go in looping ? i enclosed a log but the time is when start vacuum after no log exist

Thank again

Hispa

embyserver-63794035619.rar

Edited by Super957

16 minutes ago, Super957 said:

Ok restrt NAs and Emby and all is ok.... 

I have not had any problems with a corrupt database.

So please 2 question:

1 - 1024MB in my configuration is OK ??

2 - why vacuum go in looping ? i enclosed a log but the time is when start vacuum after no log exist

Thank again

Hispa

embyserver-63794035619.rar 14.87 kB · 0 downloads

It can be slow if the database is not on an SSD. The vacuum does not loop. There is no log for the vacuum process.

Super957
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

It can be slow if the database is not on an SSD. The vacuum does not loop. There is no log for the vacuum process.

Ok thank for vacuum and for dimension of Database 1024 MB is goo for have more performance with ny hardware/config ?

Hispa

I hope you  mean you got WD RED PLUS or RED PRO and not just RED drives.

WD renamed their drives a couple years go to make it clear which drives use shingled vs convention recording.

"WD Red" will exclusively mean disks using Shingled Magnetic Recording technology
"WD Red Plus" will mean disks using Conventional Magnetic Recording with 5400RPM performance
"WD Red Pro" will mean disks using Conventional Magnetic Recording with 7200RPM performance

I wish I had logging turned on longer on my NAS as this will give you a unique view of performance across a few drives.  This is a 4 drive btrfs volume so each of the drives is handling the same amount of data.
Drive 1 is a 14TB WD Red Pro drive
Drive 2 is a 14TB WD Red Plus drive
Drive 3 is a 14TB WD white label "Red Plus" drive
Drive 4 is revealed below. :)

The white label Red Plus drives are also used in USB3 External enclosures that everyone shucks thinking they are getting "Red Plus" drives. These drives are the slowest of the bunch and do not include the same firmware as true NAS drives.  They also can't be firmware updated to NAS firmware.

BTW, I think I've got every version of the Reds as well as Seagate from 4TB to 18TB. I typically pick up a couple to test with as I always need more drives for backup so I get to test different drives this way. In general  my advise is do NOT purchase WD drives with "Red" in the name.  Do not purchase Seagate drives with "IronWolf" in the name. Neither are worth the money and better drives can be had cheaper.

While you can run tests on individual drives and compare it's sometimes neat to combine different drives as part of the same RAID array so it's handling the exact same data as it's neighbor and comparing things this way.  There is one stand-out drive of the 4 that is much faster and it's pretty clear.

Drive 4 is a WD drive but from their Data Center collection of drives. It's still a SATA drive and actually cheaper then the NAS drive lineup!!! These go by the name UltraStore. These are all Helium filled drives with 512MB cache vs 64MB and up for Irons and Reds.

14TB Red Plus $285 https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-14TB-Internal-Drive/dp/B08V13TGP4
14TB Red Pro $368 https://www.amazon.com/Red-Pro-14TB-Hard-Drive/dp/B07YFGW736
14TB WD Elements Desktop Hard Drive HDD, USB 3.0 $259 https://www.amazon.com/14TB-Elements-Desktop-Drive-WDBWLG0140HBK-NESN/dp/B07YD3G568
14TB Ironwolf Pro NAS $329https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-IronWolf-7200RPM-256MB-3-5-Inch/dp/B07H57WY2Z
14TB Ironwolf NAS $308 https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-IronWolf-RAID-Internal-Drive/dp/B07H7CKYGT
14TB Ultrastar $259 https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-14TB-Ultrastar-HC530/dp/B07KPL474H

image.png

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Super957 said:

Ok thank for vacuum and for dimension of Database 1024 MB is goo for have more performance with ny hardware/config ?

Hispa

Do you have a backup of critical Emby Server files?
If not and you have Premiere install and setup the Backup Configuration Plugin from the catalog.

Among other things this backs up all the databases.
You can shutdown Emby Server and make a backup copy of the data directory as well before doing the next thing.

with a backup of databases done.  Try turning on the vacuum option again and restart the server.  Let's see how long it takes to complete. The only time I've ever seen this not complete in under 6 minutes was when there was an issue in the library.db file that needed fixing.

I'd like to make sure you don't have a problem with the memory upgrade or vacuum. I tend to run it once a month or when ever I made drastic changes to media. Now with over 25K movies, 150K+ shows plus home movies, sports, music, etc it's less than 2 minutes.

But first time running a vacuum I'd be patient and give it time.  Try this again and set a timer for 30 minutes. If it's not finished by then let us know as it's something we should check on and I can remote in and give you a hand with it.  Please make sure you have a backup of the data folder either by hand or via the backup config plugin first.

• Thanks 1

Super957
3 hours ago, cayars said:

Do you have a backup of critical Emby Server files?
If not and you have Premiere install and setup the Backup Configuration Plugin from the catalog.

Among other things this backs up all the databases.
You can shutdown Emby Server and make a backup copy of the data directory as well before doing the next thing.

with a backup of databases done.  Try turning on the vacuum option again and restart the server.  Let's see how long it takes to complete. The only time I've ever seen this not complete in under 6 minutes was when there was an issue in the library.db file that needed fixing.

I'd like to make sure you don't have a problem with the memory upgrade or vacuum. I tend to run it once a month or when ever I made drastic changes to media. Now with over 25K movies, 150K+ shows plus home movies, sports, music, etc it's less than 2 minutes.

But first time running a vacuum I'd be patient and give it time.  Try this again and set a timer for 30 minutes. If it's not finished by then let us know as it's something we should check on and I can remote in and give you a hand with it.  Please make sure you have a backup of the data folder either by hand or via the backup config plugin first.

I have 4 WD RED PLUS (8TB x 4 for 32TB)

Ok understand all and i try again.

Yes i have backup plugin and every month i cipy all file following this

Emby Backup :

So if i have problem i have teamviewer always connect but i need from you more or less your contact time, i live in Italy

Thank

Hispa

Edited by Super957
  • Like 1

I'm in the Eastern Time Zone same as NY City.  The safe range is 8am to 2am my time but can do other times as well if we schedule.

One or two days a week I work through the night to help people in China, Australia, NZ, Western Europe, etc since it's such a time zone difference. It's takes me a good 50% longer helping people from Asian countries due to language settings on devices/PC and having to translate language/communications during chat. China is especially tricky as there is usually VPNs or "smart DNS" at play to work around the "great firewall" but always seems to cause other issues. :(

So if you need me to be available or "on-call" just in case, send me a PM and we'll set it up.

• Thanks 1

Super957

Hi cayars thank i make backup and restrt Emby selecting Vacuum and this time in less 2 minutes restart normally 🥰

I think the Vacuum operatin go well.... but i cannot verify because vacuum not produce logs but in emby server logs i see some error...can you verify ?

Thank

Hispa

embyserver (18).txt

Edited by Super957

On 7/23/2022 at 2:28 PM, Super957 said:

Hi cayars thank i make backup and restrt Emby selecting Vacuum and this time in less 2 minutes restart normally 🥰

I think the Vacuum operatin go well.... but i cannot verify because vacuum not produce logs but in emby server logs i see some error...can you verify ?

Thank

Hispa

embyserver (18).txt 41.88 kB · 1 download

Those are just coming from the port mapper. Nothing to worry about. You can always disable that feature if you don't need it.

• Thanks 1

Super957
9 hours ago, Luke said:

Those are just coming from the port mapper. Nothing to worry about. You can always disable that feature if you don't need it.

Oooook thank LUKE

No i dont use is and where i can disable it ?

Hispa

1 hour ago, Super957 said:

Oooook thank LUKE

No i dont use is and where i can disable it ?

Hispa

Have you explored Emby Server network settings?

Super957
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Have you explored Emby Server network settings?

Yessss found it

Thank

Hispa