Movie stutter

jsc1205

jsc1205

@LukeNow noticing with version 2.1.9, Emby is really struggling playing 4k movies on iOS.  Really bad video stutter to the point where it just completely locks up.  This was NOT happening prior to updating to latest version.

It might be trying to direct play something that wasn't before. That's about all I can think of, so an equivalent test would be to drop the in-app quality setting and see how that compares.

horstepipe

I am also noticing this on 4k movies when direct playing on tvos.

There isn't a way to post inapp logs from this platform, is there?

• Like 1

horstepipe

I am also seeing this but only on TVOS, the same movies run fine on IOS. I'd guess that this is because the audio tracks (DTS HD MA 7.1 and TrueHD 7.1) are being downmixed to stereo on IOS, but not on TVOS...? If I allow to remux the movie it plays fine on TVOS.

But this is just the beginning of my testings.

jsc1205

@Luke The issue is only happening on 4K movies on iOS.  The video is actually playing extremely slow and stuttering along the way....the audio seems to play normally.  Again this issue was NOT present prior to the latest iOS update.

3 minutes ago, jsc1205 said:

@Luke The issue is only happening on 4K movies on iOS.  The video is actually playing extremely slow and stuttering along the way....the audio seems to play normally.  Again this issue was NOT present prior to the latest iOS update.

What I'm saying is they might be direct playing whereas previously they may have been transcoding.  An equivalent test would be to drop the in-app quality setting and see how that compares.

jsc1205

Alright, so I went to the Playback settings within the Emby app on my iPad and all of the following were set to Auto; Audio - Internet quality = Auto / Video - Home network quality = Auto, Internet quality = Auto

When I play a 4k movie and check the quality, Emby showing the "quality" as 4K - 120 Mbps....or it will show direct play, as it always has..  If I bump this down to 4k - 60 Mbps it plays fine.

So if the playback settings are set to auto, why is not automatically selecting the best settings in which to perform?  Again, I have NEVER messed with these settings at all and never had this issue prior to the update since everything was direct playing.

**As a side-note question....how is it Emby is able to tone map content in Dolby Vision, but Plex is telling me they cannot since they do not have a license to do it? 

Edited by jsc1205

RaptorJesus

Can confirm. 4k HEVC playback is broken on iOS & tvOS for me.  Audio is generally clear, but video is slow & choppy. Tried playing several files (Altered Carbon S01, The Expanse S05) that played normally a few weeks ago, but now exhibit the described behavior.  In all cases, the playback shows as Direct Play, no transcoding or remuxing. Unfortunately, no change in quality settings enables smooth playback for me.

All files are 4k HEVC HDR10, EAC-3 (384 or 640kbps).

Edited by RaptorJesus
added file info
  • Like 1

RaptorJesus

Update: Just took The Boys S03E01 as a test file.  

Original 14.2Mbps 4k HEVC HDR10+, 640Kbps EAC3 - severe stutter after ~30 seconds.

Extracted audio & re-encoded to AC3 & AAC; remuxed new audio with original video - severe stutter after ~30 seconds.

Re-encoded video to 14.4Mbps 4k HEVC HDR (8bit), original audio - normal playback.

Tested with MPV player on Apple TV 4K tvOS 15.6 (latest), Emby app version 1.6.2 (latest).

Possibly an issue with 10bit HDR?

• Like 1

horstepipe
On 7/22/2022 at 11:03 AM, horstepipe said:

I am also seeing this but only on TVOS, the same movies run fine on IOS. I'd guess that this is because the audio tracks (DTS HD MA 7.1 and TrueHD 7.1) are being downmixed to stereo on IOS, but not on TVOS...? If I allow to remux the movie it plays fine on TVOS.

But this is just the beginning of my testings.

Okay after the update to Emby for IOS 2.2.0 the stutter also occurs there for 4K HDR movies. Same for a normal AC-3 5.1 track so as previously noted the problem seems to be 4K hdr content.

RaptorJesus

Good morning, any progress on this issue and/or ETA of a fix? It's been over a week since I've been able to watch any of my 4k content on Emby.

• Agree 1

vdatanet
2 hours ago, RaptorJesus said:

Good morning, any progress on this issue and/or ETA of a fix? It's been over a week since I've been able to watch any of my 4k content on Emby.

Give Infuse a try, it works great with Emby. I don't think there will be a fix to playback of 4K content on Emby for Apple TV in the short term.

RaptorJesus

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm not a fan (and more importantly, my wife is not a fan) of the Infuse UI. Also, I'm not keen on the idea of paying for another product so that I can use the product I originally paid for (lifetime premiere) when it was working just fine two versions ago.

In my opinion, this is a bug that is breaking a core feature that was previously working and should receive priority attention as a break/fix issue. 

• Agree 2

RaptorJesus

@Luke Is any additional information available on this issue? Perhaps I'm naive, but shouldn't you be able to identify what change(s) broke this capability by reviewing the code commits from the past couple of weeks?

I'm an IT Architect and work with DevOps teams - that's definitely one route we would take to determine root cause.  Also, if we rolled out a release to paying customers that broke a feature more important than the ones we fixed, we would roll back the available version to the last-known good.

I appreciate that this may not be a full-time job for everyone on the Emby team, and I know supporting a publicly available ecosystem is difficult, but two weeks of not being able to use a core feature of an app we've paid for and only "we're looking into it" as a response feels a bit underwhelming.

Thanks!

• Agree 2

jsc1205

@ebr, @Luke Any idea on when this issue will be fixed?  4K playback on any iOS device still does not work.  Thanks for any update you can provide

Monovertex

Dropping in to provide another confirmation. Noticed the same this morning, while the LG TV app has no issues playing the same file. I always download 4K HDR files and make sure they direct play, so there was no change in my source media. 

I can provide additional information if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
AsheAshe

Hello, also dropping in. A friend and I both have identical ts-453d qnap's, with the same docker composes etc and we both had issues with selecting hardware transcoders. Solved it together and he can now play flawlessly to his android emby app but I am still getting stuttering until I step it down to 1080p 10mbs in emby. 

really frustrating day of trying all sorts, only to achieve the same outcome each time yet worked fine for him and our setups are near identical.

in addition any file in Dolby vision has a green / purple tint which I've seen posts on this forum say due to licensing etc however it works fine for him, same file, and what's more - using Jellyfin iOS app and Jellyfin server both files work fine, but I want to use emby.

as per the experiences above, infuse works, which suggests to me based in the combination of Jellyfin working, infuse working and his android app working fine, that the issue is to do with iOS app. I don't mind using infuse but I'd rather have less steps especially if paying for premiere 

Edited by AsheAshe

HI, we found the reason for the playback stutter in the recent app update and we'll get getting an update out to the store to resolve this as quickly as we can. Thanks.

• Like 3