Emby Theater for Windows Opens with Tiny Fonts

davidb7170

davidb7170

I use the Emby Theater app from the Windows Store, and have a couple occurrences of when opening it up, all the displayed fonts are tiny, to the point of unreadable. The graphics are still in the same size, but all the command texts are so tiny, I can't click on them, so can't correct the font size, or navigate. My only way to deal with it is to uninstall the app, and reload it from the microsoft store. When re-installed, all fonts are readable again, but then I have to sign in, and link to my servers, make my settings for downloads, yada yada. It's happened twice in the past week. When I get it back up and running after the uninstall/reinstall, I've looked for any settings about app font size for Emby Theater, and don't find any. I thought maybe I ham-handed something, but can't find anything about screen display settings other than art display parameters. The web based "browse library" works fine, and has never presented this issue. 

Please advise.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi there, that's really strange. Can you show a screenshot example? Thanks.

15 minutes ago, davidb7170 said:

I will when it happens again...

Thanks, 

Dave 

Great, thanks !

davidb7170

Okay. It happened again tonight. I did nothing other than open it. I have it pinned to my task bar. I will try to attach a screen capture jpg of both how it looks when it screws up, and one I just captured after uninstalling, redownloading, reinstalling, and setting up all the stuff with a fresh install.... 3rd time this week. This is getting a bit annoying...

My system is a home built ASUS ROG Strix X570-E motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X at 4.3 GHs, 32GB RAM at 3600 GHz, a SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 6600 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 GPU. I just put it together last month, initially had Windows 10 Pro on it, but upgraded to Window 11 Pro.

Incidentally, I also have Emby Theater for Windows on my side machine that is on Windows 10 PRO with 32 GB RAM, and just checked it. It is displaying properly. I remember maybe one time in the last couple of years when this happened on one of my Win 10 Pro machines. Don't remember what I did to get it back to normal size fonts other than reinstalling. 

Files are attached. Please advise. Thanks,

Dave

Emby Th Tiny Fonts 2022 07 21.jpg

Emby Th Renistalled 2022 07 21.jpg

davidb7170

Yes, the second screen shot is after the uninstall, re-download from Microsoft store, reinstall, re-setup with all the needed sign-in, server setups, download setups, etc., etc. 

Today, I just opened it up and it's tiny again, but not AS tiny. Just barely readable. I changed my screen resolution from 2560x1440 down to 1920x1090 on my monitor, and it made no difference in the apparent font size of Emby Theater app from Microsoft store. so I put my monitor resolution back up, and it looks the same. I see no settings for font display size anywhere within the app. A right click pop-up with such settings would be helpful, because even if it is buried within the menus somewhere, in the current state of tiny-ness, you wouldn't be able to read or change the settings...

I'm thinking of dumping the MS App Store version and loading the Emby Theater program for Windows Desktops from your Emby group directly and seeing how that goes. This is 4 times this week. Before doing that I will try 1) signing out and back in, and 2) Rebooting to see if anything helps, but don't hold much hope. I won't be able to mess with it today, as I will need to be somewhere soon, and don't have time to futz with it right now.

davidb7170

Ok, tried some things.... 

1) Tried signing off and then back in - made no difference. Nothing got reset

2) Tried rebooting, again, no change. 

Didn't really expect any change on 1 or 2...

3) Uninstalled the Microsoft Store Emby Theater for Windows and downloaded your Emby Theater for Windows Desktop. It initially installs with a very large font, reminiscent of my days with Windows Media Center on Windows 7 & 8.1. Very shortly, it became more visually akin to the Microsoft Store version, but lacks the ability to set up a download location destination. In Download Settings, you can only set the Temp Location for transcoding folder, for someone else to download from you... Kind of confusing, so you can't actually download from another server... This is a show-stopper for me, so ultimately un-installed that one. It displayed as I expected it to, and held it's fonts in a very readable size as long as it was installed. The functionality is just not the same as what the current version on MS Store, so....

4) Re-installed the MS Store version of Emby Theater, and as usual, it initially installed with the fonts in a very readable size. I opened and closed it, several times in that session earlier today. I came back this evening, opened the app, and it was back to just barely readable tiny font size again.

As I mentioned earlier I have a sizable monitor that I run at its native 2560x1440 resolution, and that changing the resolution to 1920x1080 makes no difference in the font size within the app. This is still the case. I found in Windows 11, Settings > System Display > Scale & Layout you can scale the display from 100% (Recommended) to 225% in 25% increments. If you go to a sub menu - you can see related Accessibility settings for font size, which allows you adjust in the same range, but with a continuous slider. The scaling adjustments makes everything on the desktop and apps larger, whereas the Font Size Adjustment in Accessibility only affect the desktop font size, and apps' font size. It increases the font size in the Emby Theater App! Now to get to the size that is present when I initially have when I install the app, I find I have to boost the Accessibility Font Size practically to the top 225% setting - Whoa! Other apps display HUGE fonts under this extreme setting. 

I took a look at my MS Store Emby Theater App on my side PC, which has a 1920x1080 display and has always displayed the app properly (same app version 1.1.427.0 on both). I looked for the Accessibility settings on that PC running Win 10 Pro, and they are not present in Win 10, apparently.... The display scaling IS present, and like on my Win 11 machine, it does increase the font size within the Emby Theater App, but EVERTHING else (fonts, icons, task bar, etc.) gets huge as well. That display has a scale range from 100% to 175%, and the Emby Theater App fonts are HUGE at the the top of that range. 

I'm thinking the current app version 1.1.427.0 is not dealing well with the Windows 11 apparently new Accessibility Font Size parameter, or is interpreting it incorrectly after a certain amount of time. The weird part is, my friend has been on Windows 11 Pro longer than I have, and has not been having any issues with this like I have. My Win 11 machine is AMD Ryzen based with discreet AMD GPU, and his are Intel NUC's with integrated graphics, so don't know if that's an issue or not....

Food for thought. Please advise.... Thanks.

Dave

Edited by davidb7170
Typo

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure yet what the issue is but we'll try to chase it down. Thanks .

davidb7170

I've had a situation yesterday where my Windows 11 Pro pc dumped several things: my AMD Adrenaline video drivers, Emby Theater for windows app, and the Microsoft Store. This was the second time. The first was a couple of days after I did the 10 to 11 upgrade in late June. I finally did an in-place repair that straightened it out for about a month.... This time I did a restore point restore and it seems to have fixed it. I've got to admit, I'm uneasy with the install. I'll keep up with making restore points so hopefully will be in a position to recover if it happens again. I've never experienced going to my PC and having programs or drivers just disappearing. The PC had been on, had no updates, yada yada....

Anyway, to the point. After the restore point restore, I had everything back, including the Emby Theater App for Windows app. I noticed Emby Theater was now displaying version 1.1.428.0 where the one I was having issues with the tiny font size was version 1.1.427.0 as I mentioned in my above posts.

I checked my 2nd PC - AMD FX 8350 on an ASUS  Sabretooth MB also with 32GB RAM, a 4 GB AMD based RX 480  GPU, etc., but with Windows 10 Pro. I also have an Intel NUC Core i3 with 8GB RAM and integrated graphics also on Win 10 Pro. I installed Emby Theater for Windows on both of these sometime ago from MS Store. I noticed both of these now show Emby Theater version 1.1.428.0 where a couple of days ago, they were also on version 1.1.427.0.... 

My Windows 11 Pro new machine is now properly displaying the font size, It's been a day so far with no problem with it going into tiny unreadable font size. Up until yesterday, when I was having the issue, it would install from the MS Store at readable font size, and would last for a few hours, then when opened maybe half a day later, the fonts would be unreadably tiny. I have seen no update from you or in the forum on version 1.1.428.0  but fingers crossed, it seems to be working as it should now. I'll keep checking it of course. Was that the reason for the new revision?

Thanks

Dave

Edited by davidb7170
typo

Hi, it was just user interface updates. Glad to hear you're seeing better results.