Download photo/video to phone Download folder or Camera folder?

Teredactle

Teredactle

Hi,

Is it possible to download a video/photo to the actual phone? I've read some of the posts here and it's very confusing of what this feature should be doing.

If I use a web browser and download a photo, it downloads a photo as expected, as it would download/save any type of media file.

If I'm in the Android app, I expect the same behaviour, because it's named the same download. However, that's not what's happening. Can we have some clarity as to why the download feature doesn't actually download the media to the phone?  I have the same question for iOS. Basically it's nearly impossible to share a photo with someone (say via whatsapp, texting app) the way the Emby app for mobile(s) "downloads" media. 

Can this feature be implemented to work the same as in a browser? Really before purchasing premium, I was super happy to be able to download the media, but it looks like this feature doesn't work as expected outside a browser.  Would be wonderful it it worked the same, I assume most users have the same expectation.

While I understand why one would want an "offline" media section (playback of movies), I am interested in being able to download my home videos/photos that I share out with family that is far away.

Thank you

• Agree 1

HI there, the app does download to the phone, but not to the system downloads folder. It downloads to the designated storage folder for the app.

Teredactle

Ok thanks.

I have no idea what that is, its not defined in the app anywhere. Where is it documented?

Why isn't it the downloads folder, or a folder I can customize? If I download a photo I'd like to have it show up in my google photos. Easy peasy.

I think expected behaviour and easy to manage, or a folder under DCIM (standard).

Can we have a feature request to have the downloads folder customizable?

On the same topic, I'd like to download photos and have them appear in camera roll iOS. Should i post this in the iOS mobile forum?

• 2 weeks later...

@Teredactle

I have no idea what that is, its not defined in the app anywhere. Where is it documented?

It will vary per device.

Why isn't it the downloads folder, or a folder I can customize?

have you explored the download options in the app? You can choose from any of the locations that the app has permission to write to.

Teredactle

This is the only option i have in the android app settings, i cannot select a.folder, when i click the dropdown the only selection is "internal storage".

Screenshot_20220803-160603.png

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Teredactle

I don't have external storage, my phone has no SD card slot.

I really don't understand, why would you not design the app to save the downloaded media either in the Download folder (a subfolder - Emby) or a subfolder of DCIM (photos)?? This is pretty standard for apps that allow media download, it's easily accessible this way....

• Agree 1

• 5 months later...
WeWillSee

Maybe also related to this topic. i'm wondering with an iphon is it possible to download movies to to a SD card which is connected with a lignthing to sd card reader? this becauseIphones generally do nto have much storage capacity? 

I would hen want to play the movies on my iphone from their? 

Teredactle

I'm pretty disappointed in the the Downloads design for Android/iOS for the Emby apps. I love this platform but I find this option very poorly thought out. Downloads should go in both platforms' Downloads folder, and for photos I would expect that photos should appear in the native photo app on both platforms (like on Plex when downloading). I don't really get why the behaviour would implemented any differently. Downloading is downloading to me, not to be confused with "I want to have media offline to watch later".

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 9:51 AM, WeWillSee said:

an iphon is it possible to download movies to to a SD card which is connected with a lignthing to sd card reader?

HI, not yet, but we are planning on adding support for this on iOS.

• 2 weeks later...
icrimean

I also agree, that app should allow to download files to phone's gallery (Android or iOS). You may introduce additional setting maybe to allow/disallow user to do so, but obviously it's a must have feature. There is no problem to implement it from the technical end, for example this way.

P.S. Currently to save file to the phone I need remember its name, then open my server storage via smb and copy file to phone via file manager. 🤔 Why Emby cannot do it in one step only? 😉