Suddenly lots of "playback errors--too many errors"

sekondchakra
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

sekondchakra

Before 3 or 4 days ago, Emby (via my Roku and the server on my Synology under Docker) has played everything I've ever thrown at it.  Suddenly I'm getting lot's of the aforementioned playback errors.  I know that's not very helpful (yet)--but I wanted to report it in case others might be seeing this issue as well.  I'm curious if something changed/updated recently that might account for this.  (I'm running v4.7.5.0 of the server.) 

My Synology/Docker setup indicates it's been running for 4 days (which generally indicates an automatic update)--which would correspond roughly to when I started seeing these erros.

A workaround at this point is to transcode the .mkv files via handbrake into .mp4s--which has so far resulted in playable files.  (Original files via sonarr/nzbget, etc.)   Apologies if this belongs in a different forum--please feel free to move things as necessary. 

sekondchakra

(Borrowed from here.) 

Attempted to play file via Roku device.  Throbber would spin a couple of times--then throw the above error message immediately.   File was then marked "Played".  Log sent at 00:43 EDT.  User: wilberfan

HI there, can you please attach the corresponding Emby Server log as well? Thanks.

sekondchakra

Ah, the dreaded Permission Monster.  Certainly wouldn't help things, would it?  I'm not sure what would have changed in the setup that that would suddenly be an issue, but I'll investigate that when it comes up again... 

sekondchakra

First preliminary finding:  Files that play without issue have permissions for:  docker, users, and Everyone.  Recent problematic files are missing permissions for Everyone.  When I manually add read, write permissions, the file plays normally.  Sounds more like a docker/sonarr/nzbget issue, perhaps?  Emby doesn't create or modify file permissions, I wouldn't think. 

Emby doesn't create or modify file permissions, I wouldn't think. 

Hi, that's correct. I think you're right about this.