Anyone Tone mapping with a 1050ti?

lightsout

lightsout

Going to throw a 1050ti 4gb in my server because I have it and am on a budget. I know what the Nvidia Matrix site says. But I am curious about user experience.

I tested with a test server setup on another machine, and out of the samples I tried, it seemed like some worked and some didn't.

I won't be tone mapping HDR often, but it would be helpful to have the option. Can anyone recommend settings for a lightweight card like this?

lightsout

Got the GPU installed. Pretty happy with the performance. I only need to transcode one stream at a time. Maybe two very rarely.

rbjtech

The relative 3D performance of the card is basically irrelevant - the limiting factor on all the cards is memory.   As your 1050Ti has 4 Gb mem - then it will basically be limited to 3 x 4K streams - as each one takes 1Gb ish. 

You will note on the comparison site, that something like my old GTX 1070 (8Gb) can do exactly the same number of transcodes as the latest gen RTX 3090 (8Gb) ! - ;)

If you are just transcoding 1080p - then tbh, that is plenty powerful enough for multiple streams.

lightsout
9 hours ago, rbjtech said:

The relative 3D performance of the card is basically irrelevant - the limiting factor on all the cards is memory.   As your 1050Ti has 4 Gb mem - then it will basically be limited to 3 x 4K streams - as each one takes 1Gb ish. 

You will note on the comparison site, that something like my old GTX 1070 (8Gb) can do exactly the same number of transcodes as the latest gen RTX 3090 (8Gb) ! - ;)

If you are just transcoding 1080p - then tbh, that is plenty powerful enough for multiple streams.

That's helpful, I find the information out there a bit confusing. This card should be plenty for me then for the rare times I need to transcode. My goal was mainly to free up the server resources as I sometimes run other things that are CPU intensive.

• Like 1