Need Help!!

amg0825

amg0825

Hi..I am not a programmer so kind of lost in my quest of getting my Synology DS212J Nas server to work with media browser. I know it uses Linux but cannot figure out want I need to download to make it all work. I can play movies I have on the server using VLC on my computer. Want to somehow get a Roku app like media browser to play my movies.

Downloaded the windows on my computer and tried to link to my server and it cannot find the port. The Plex app was able to download everything but needs the Nas to transcode the movies and it does not have enough juice to do that.

Problem: Have a Synology DS212J NAS with a library of movies, can access it on my computer using VLC. Need media browser to work with the NAS so I can access the library via ROKU.

Any Help will be much appreciated....

thefirstofthe300

Probably the best way to go about this is to use your Windows computer as the server and the NAS on the LAN as a simple storage device.  Currently, there is no NAS support with MB as there is with Plex.  

MediaBrowser can access SMB shares on your NAS if you configure the server correctly.  You will want to use UNC paths (i.e. \\Computer-Name\Share-Name\path\to\directory\in\share) in the MediaBrowser library locations.

Ihope this gives you an idea of what to do.

gsnerf

Unfortunately we don't have the possibility to provide synology packages yet.

The easiest way to use mediabrowser-server for now is indeed to use a separate computer with a supported platform and simply use that as a medium between your NAS and ROKU as @ suggested.

If you absolutely want to use it directly on your NAS you can try to get your hands dirty. You will need direct access to the system through a console and can then try to use the provided mono based binaries.

You will need a mono version compiled for the ARM based system the synology runs, along with builds of libgdiplus, libwebp, libsqlite3, libmediainfo and ffmpeg.

There are some users trying to get the server to run on ARM based systems in the forum, I'm sure you can find some information there.

yea i think it is doable and i'm sure it will happen. right now we're getting our x86/x64 packages nailed down. from there maybe there will be someone who can help us with arm.