Session Duration?

bakes82

bakes82

Is a "Session" per video play, or is it time/interaction based?

Example: Netflix, are you still there.

In my paused duration plugin I add the sessionId with a start time to a collection and just check the sessions on an interval and after xx time (playback progress event checks is paused and time diff between the two times are > xx time) kill the session, could I do the same thing if a user is watching a playlist or back to back videos?  IE after x time I can kill the session even if its on different video, or would I need to store a deviceid/user/time?

Hi, this has evolved over time, but in most cases Sessions don't really go away anymore because with push notifications we can still communicate with them even with the web socket closes.

So based on that, we don't really know if the user is sitting in front of the screen or not actively using the application.

If you're trying to identify idle sessions in order to stop playback, I don't think that's necessary anymore as 4.7 is much better at cleaning that up. But if you must, then yes, you'll need to look at it from a time based standpoint and make your own decisions based on that.