Continue Watching not working with external players

Mahinepua

Mahinepua

Emby server logs the start and stop times for movies when using an external player.

Theatre does not support continue watching for external players, it worked fine in WMC.

Should be an easy fix given the server picks it up.

Hi, actually it does. if you look in the external player setup there are command line arguments available to pass the time to the external player. It is up to you to make sure the command line is correct for whatever external player you are using.

Mahinepua

That’s not the issue Luke, on the theatre Home Screen the continue watching section does not pick up the movie has even been played when using an external player. It works fine for the internal player. 

The server identifies the external player has both started and stopped a movie with time stamp however for some reason theatre doesn’t even know the movie has been played hence it doesn’t populate the continue watching section. The function works fine on WMC just not theatre.

Can it be fixed?

11 hours ago, Mahinepua said:

That’s not the issue Luke, on the theatre Home Screen the continue watching section does not pick up the movie has even been played when using an external player. It works fine for the internal player. 

The server identifies the external player has both started and stopped a movie with time stamp however for some reason theatre doesn’t even know the movie has been played hence it doesn’t populate the continue watching section. The function works fine on WMC just not theatre.

Can it be fixed?

Correct, because there's no way of getting that information from the external player unless we build in specific workarounds for specific player software. The older Emby for WMC happened to have that for mpc-hc and vlc.

Mahinepua

Luke that doesn’t make any sense. Why can’t you just take the played status from the server and use this to populate the  continue watching field? Isn’t that what the server is for?

Information from an external player isn’t required.

3 hours ago, Mahinepua said:

Luke that doesn’t make any sense. Why can’t you just take the played status from the server and use this to populate the  continue watching field? Isn’t that what the server is for?

Information from an external player isn’t required.

That's what we do, but in order for continue watching to populate, it needs to know where you left off in the movie, and that information can only come from the player. That's why it works with the internal player.

Mahinepua

Hi Luke, I can understand why the resume function would need to know where you left off but not simply to identify that a movie has been watched.

Can theatre be updated so the continue watching field isn’t relying on the resume function? Should be a simple code update looking at different field.

I can't do that, sorry. That would be a highly disruptive change for every single Emby user, and honestly, I don't think it's the right move because if the starting point is 0 then you're not really continuing.

One idea I had a while ago that would solve this while still keeping it generic to any external player, is that after the player closes we could have a dialog with a slider where you could tell Emby how much of the video you watched.

Mahinepua

Hi Luke it would only affect theatre users and shouldn’t affect functionality in anyway to other emby users.

External players have built it resume features.

We’re not talking about resume functionality simply asking for theatre to populate the played field so we’re not scrolling through a full list to find the movie to continue.

Mahinepua

If you’d like me to call you to discuss send me a PM.

Plex have started focusing on HTPC users again, we’re out here and these sort of issues stop us moving from WMC.

11 hours ago, Mahinepua said:

I can understand why the resume function would need to know where you left off but not simply to identify that a movie has been watched

Hi.  Being "watched" is dependent on how much of it you watched.  Without the progress information from the player, we cannot know this and assuming it was watched is not really a good solution either.  We would need something like this:

10 hours ago, Luke said:

One idea I had a while ago that would solve this while still keeping it generic to any external player, is that after the player closes we could have a dialog with a slider where you could tell Emby how much of the video you watched.

MB 2.x used to throw up a dialog just asking if you wanted to mark it watched or not.

Mahinepua

Hi ebr, 

You dont need progress information from the external play, ember server is logging both the start and stop time when using potplayer so that information is readily available.

Can post a screen shot if you like. 

42 minutes ago, Mahinepua said:

Hi ebr, 

You dont need progress information from the external play, ember server is logging both the start and stop time when using potplayer so that information is readily available.

Can post a screen shot if you like. 

Hi, we know the time of day the external player launches, and the time of day when it closes, and that's all we know. The time you're seeing in the log is the time of day when the player stopped, not the actual playback position.

Mahinepua

Hi ebr, I think your missing the point here.

We dont want or need to know the playback position it's irrelevant.

The original request was to populate the continue watching home screen in horizontal mode with recently played movies when using an external player.

The server clearly identifies when a movie has been played, thats all we want to know. Cant see what the issue is?

Happy2Play

Most wouldn't want this as you have to manually remove all this content as there will be no userdata resume/fully played data.

roaku
15 minutes ago, Mahinepua said:

Hi ebr, I think your missing the point here.

We dont want or need to know the playback position it's irrelevant.

The original request was to populate the continue watching home screen in horizontal mode with recently played movies when using an external player.

The server clearly identifies when a movie has been played, thats all we want to know. Cant see what the issue is?

Are you aware that items played close to the end and items only played for a short time don't appear Continue Watching?

That to 'continue watching', Emby needs to know at what point in the item you stopped watching?

That for TV shows, Emby needs to know if you finished an episode to decide if it should display the episode you started or the next episode in Continue Watching?

The devs are saying that they don't have the information required to make continue watching function the way it's designed to function in your case.

You seem to be saying they should just turn continue watching into 'recently played'.

Edited by roaku

Mahinepua

Hi ebr, 

So the issue is Emby doesn't want a movie thats been watched 100% to be shown in the continue watching field? That would be a rare case as most people stop before the credits end.

Continue watching or recently watched is therefore the same thing, the server logs start/stop with external players albeit not knowing where exactly where the progress point is but this information isn't necessary to identify a movie has been played only.

Why cant the code to populate the continue watching field simply have a line added for when an external player is use to include 'watched' movies as per the server log?

Doesn't seem like rocket science.

Happy2Play
12 minutes ago, Mahinepua said:

Continue watching or recently watched is therefore the same thing

Not to everyone just like I do not agree Continue Watching and Next Up are the same.

There is not a issue with watched played items in Continue Watching.  The issue becomes you have to manually remove them in your situation as they would never be removed.

Emby requires these conditions for Resume/Continue Watching.

image.png.2e03f0b5ccf5f0636039cda0a9e2ec1a.png

But client still needs to tell server I have played this long.

Edited by Happy2Play

roaku
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Not to everyone just like I do not agree Continue Watching and Next Up are the same.

There is not a issue with watched played items in Continue Watching.  The issue becomes you have to manually remove them in your situation as they would never be removed.

Emby requires these conditions for Resume/Continue Watching.

image.png.2e03f0b5ccf5f0636039cda0a9e2ec1a.png

But client still needs to tell server I have played this long.

That is an issue!

Mahinepua

So what’s verdict Luke, can continue watching ( or watched) support be tweaked to capture external players?

Mahinepua

Having to move a slider bar after watching a movie to tell emby the played position is not a practical option.

It will have to remain a limitation of theatre when using an external player. 

@generiq Is there a guide for editing the MPV config file embedded in emby? Location, basic settings etc? Pic is great but it’s doing some sort of gamma correction that I’d like to turn off. Also the audio filter doesn’t allow auto switching to pcm output to a tv if passthrough is enabled. LAV audio does this.

Using the internal player is a better option just need some guidance on its usage within Emby.

• 2 weeks later...
generiq

I haven't read the whole thread, but mpv has its own 'watch later' parameter. So with mpv as an external player, that might be possible if actual direct play is utilized. I haven't tested this, but you would need to ensure that your libraries are shared via network path, then enable save-position-on-quit=yes in the mpv.conf, and there is a 'watch_later' folder in the mpv folder. It might work????