Can't access Emby remotely

Arlow1954
Go to solution Solved by Arlow1954,

Arlow1954

I am experiencing the same issue.  I went to the web app and none of the functions worked for me.

I have Emby Server on a dedicated computer and have been managing the application, via the Emby Server Dashboard, on a 2nd computer.   Two days ago, the dashboard stopped operating in the manner that it had been.   The dashboard on the dedicated computer, which I use infrequently, is functioning as expected.  I wasn't seeing any activity using the second computer.  I was unable to modify metadata using the second computer.   I suspected that my second computer dashboard ( I am using Chrome) had become corrupted.   I deleted the dashboard from Chrome on my second computer.  I am now unable to reinstall the Emby Server Dashboard on the second computer.   Both computers have Norton on them.   As a test, I was able to download and install Emby Theater on the second computer (I don't use it for viewing) to see if the link between the two computers was working.  Emby Theater installed without any issues.

My issue is reinstalling Emby Server Dashboard on the second computer.   I have tried both the In-home (LAN) and remote (WAN) IP addresses.

I was unable to modify metadata using the second computer

Hi there @Arlow1954 can you please describe this in more detail? What exactly happens when you try to do this?

Arlow1954

Luke,

Thanks for asking.  I am trying to access the Emby Server dashboard from my "office computer" which is located in my home (not at work, I'm retired). 

For well over a year, both the server computer, a desktop dedicated to only running the Emby Server application, and my "office computer", aka the second computer, have been able to access the dashboard on the server.  The functionality on both was identical.  When I opened a library, principally "TV Shows" I see the poster images and metadata associated with the series/show.   Next to the title is a small stylus that when clicked on takes you directly to the metadata for that specific series/show.  There is also a little square that when clicked on allows the poster image to be changed.

Up until late last week both computer dashboard versions operated identically.  Something changed last week and the ability to change the metadata was no longer available on the office computer {second computer).  I was not able to see any activity level on that dashboard as well.  Activity level and all functionality remains on the dedicated server computer.  There is no problem with the dedicated computer that I can detect.

I suspected that the dashboard version on my office (second computer) had been corrupted.  I deleted it. And attempted to reinstall the dashboard on my office (second computer).  I have done installed the dashboard in the past, especially when changing out hardware, and it didn't seem to be all that difficult.  Reinstalling the dashboard on the office computer has become more challenging this time around.   I have attempted both the  LAN and WAN IP addresses shown on the dashboard on the dedicated server without success.  I went to the web ap (which I have difficulty locating because I didn't write it down (won't make that mistake again)) and my WAN IP address came up immediately.  It's associated with "JulianServer".  I wasn't able to login.  I wasn't able to go through Emby Connect.  The Manual login didn't work.  In all cases I was sent back to the screen where the 3 options were portrayed.

I am definitely not a knowledgeable or power user, although I've had Emby in operation for years.

Emby is working fine on multiple computers, Rokus, and phones in my house and connectivity into Texas, Oklahoma, and Pennsylvania works well from our home in West Virginia.  

I conduct regular management of our system since it is the principal entertainment system for us, replacing most streaming services.  Having the dashboard available on the office (second computer) is extremely convenient and efficient.

So the real question is:  "how can I get the dashboard reinstalled on my office (second) computer?"

Thank you for your time.  I appreciate all that you do.

@cayars

Hi,

I'm having trouble trying to follow your issue. What is the "dashboard" you refer to having to install?

The Emby Dashboard is a webpage and one part of the Emby Interface that you can access using any browser.  It's also available in Emby Theater which is an Emby app that allows web page access and viewing as well as extended playback support that can play nearly anything (unlike web browsers).

But for general management and seeing what's going on in your server a browser is perfect for this.  You should be able to open and get to the Dashboard using http://IP:port where IP is the IP address of the machine running Emby and port that will likely be the default of 8096.  Typically it's something like this: http://192.168.1.23:8096

You can get the IP address of the machine running Emby a number of ways depending on Operating System. Another way probably easier is to login to your home router, go to the DHCP section to view connected clients where you'll see the computer/device name and it's IP.

Let us know how you make out.

Carlo

• Solution
Arlow1954

Luke,

Please accept my apologies.   This was a classic case of "operator error."   My son, our architect and engineer of our home system, came home and in 5 minutes informed me that I was logged in as a user, not as an administrator.  Since I had, apparently, been an administrator for months, without knowing it, I took exactly the wrong approach and wasted your time.  I'm up and running now, as I was before.  My best guess is that my user setting got changed when I activated a new Roku.  I'm not sure how that happened but I now know how to easily resolve a similar situation in the future.

Emby rocks.

arlow1954

• Thanks 1