Which player should I buy to get it to play FLAC and embedded subs?

gmilho

gmilho

Hey guys

I have an Emby server here running in my RPI4

The WebOS app from my LG TV is my main player for MKV files, but it won't play FLAC audio tracks neither ASS embedded subs

That said, I got a MiTV Stick (Android TV) for use exclusively as a Emby player. I thought it was going to work because FLAC + embedded subs works fine in my Emby app in my Android phone, but I only managed to get the subtitles to work, FLAC won`t play

After that I got a FireTV Stick 4K Max and had the same problem, FLAC audio track won`t play

Any suggestions? There is a stick with Google TV instead of Android TV, what about that one? Or maybe an Apple TV?

Transcoding is not an option as the server is a RPI4

Thanks in advance

gmilho
1 minute ago, Luke said:

How, how about nvidia shield?

I didn't buy it because it is a bit expensive and I thought that, as it is an Android device, it was going to have the same problem of the MiTV, but if it will solve my problem I will get one right now

Thanks!

justinrh

Look at the device specs before you buy to see if it supports FLAC.

• Like 1

Jägs

I can't speak to ASS subtitles—not sure I have MKVs with them—but a cheap streamer that supports FLAC is the Tivo Stream 4K:

https://www.channelmaster.com/products/tivo-stream-4k-ra2400

They're about $40, but I've been picking them up at Walmart for $10-$15.

They come with a USB-C port that you can use for memory or—in my case—a USB network adapter to better playback 4K disc rips.

Full disclosure:  my main TV has a 2017 Shield and it's great.  Other than new Shields, nothing touches it for performance (edit:  for streaming devices), but the Tivos work great for secondary screens.

Edited by Jägs
  • Like 1

gmilho
13 hours ago, justinrh said:

Look at the device specs before you buy to see if it supports FLAC.

Hey, Justin, thanks for the reply.

Actually I did it, both FireTV Stick 4K Max and MiTV Stick lists FLAC as supported, but neither work, at least with Emby. Just to make sure, I will try the same file with VLC to check out if it an issue with the device or Emby's.

10 hours ago, Jägs said:

I can't speak to ASS subtitles—not sure I have MKVs with them—but a cheap streamer that supports FLAC is the Tivo Stream 4K:

https://www.channelmaster.com/products/tivo-stream-4k-ra2400

They're about $40, but I've been picking them up at Walmart for $10-$15.

They come with a USB-C port that you can use for memory or—in my case—a USB network adapter to better playback 4K disc rips.

Full disclosure:  my main TV has a 2017 Shield and it's great.  Other than new Shields, not touches it for performance, but the Tivos work great for secondary screens.

I will end up getting the Shield as it looks like a more solid option, but I will try the Tivo for a cheap projector that I have in my bedroom, thanks for the suggestion.

Jägs
8 hours ago, gmilho said:

I will end up getting the Shield as it looks like a more solid option, but I will try the Tivo for a cheap projector that I have in my bedroom, thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, it's really hard to go wrong with the Shield.  I'm an Apple guy, but this is my go-to recommendation for anyone looking for a streamer, especially those who want something that just works.  NVIDIA is also really good about updating these.  The 2017—what I have—version shipped with Shield Experience (SE) 5 which was their version of Android 7.0.  SE 9—the current version—is Android 11.  Even the 2015 version got it:

https://www.androidpolice.com/nvidia-shield-android-11-tease/

As the article notes, that's (perhaps unofficially) a record, as Android hardware manufacturers are notorious about not providing long-term updates.  NVIDIA is—dare I say—almost Apple like with respect to providing software updates to older hardware.  

Jägs

I just wanted to follow up on this as I was considering purchasing the Shield "tube" (non-pro version) as it is on sale for Prime.  I learned from a few comments—followed by an extensive Google search—that the cheaper version of the 2019 Shield only supports 32-bit apps.  Here's an article that nicely summarizes the issue:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/01/14/nvidias-shield-tv-dongle-can-only-run-32-bit-apps-but-you-probably-dont-need-to-panic/

As the article indicates, that's probably fine if you are only using it for media consumption, but if you want to branch into gaming, you might want to think about getting the Pro version.  It also has an additional 1 GB of RAM.  Still, this limitation will hamper it's long-term viability.  Strangely, the 2015 and 2017 Shields (base and pro) are 64-bit, so this move is a bit puzzling, given that the base 2019 model has the same processor as the pro model.

Also keep in mind that the Shield was on a two-year release cycle, so we are past due for an update, though I don't think Nvidia is in any rush as on the Android side, not much touches it in terms of performance.  Also, something something chip shortage.

Long story, short:  if your needs are immediate, consider an older base model (e.g., the 2017) or purchase the pro version of the 2019 model.