Is 5.1 atmos quasi the same as 7.1 non atmos?

horstepipe

horstepipe

Hey

I‘m wondering, an Atmos soundtrack is not bound to the speakers channels itself, but stores the sound info „to a place“. 

Wouldn‘t that mean that (if the avr supports Atmos) a 5.1 Atmos track playing on a 7.1 audio setup makes no different to a 7.1 DD track, as with the Atmos track the AVR should get exact infos through the „place“?

Gilgamesh_48
25 minutes ago, Luke said:

@Gilgamesh_48 may have some tips.

Thank you for mentioning me but, in this case, I have no tips or even ideas. I do not use any audio past Dolby 2.1 and I really hear little advantage to the fancy audio many people seem to want.

I also do not even really know what Atmos is and/or why it matters at all.

I set Emby to output nothing but Dolby 2.1 and it seems to work great all the time every time. Sometimes Emby has to transcode the audio but that is a VERY low impact transcode operation so it really does not matter much.

I did have a little trouble last year with a couple of files with advanced audio not playing audio at all but I fixed that by simply re-encoding the file. I did not even change anything in my Handbrake settings. I guess the encoding was just screwy the first time.

I just keep everything quite simple and sometimes I guess I keep it too simple but my old eyes and ears do not need "fancy" at all.

Sorry I could not be more help.

horstepipe

the question isn't about emby at all, it is just a theoretically question I was wondering about.

I'll ask this in a more specialized place and will keep you posted if I get a satisfying answer there.

Edited by horstepipe

Painkiller8818
On 6/30/2022 at 12:13 PM, horstepipe said:

Hey

I‘m wondering, an Atmos soundtrack is not bound to the speakers channels itself, but stores the sound info „to a place“. 

Wouldn‘t that mean that (if the avr supports Atmos) a 5.1 Atmos track playing on a 7.1 audio setup makes no different to a 7.1 DD track, as with the Atmos track the AVR should get exact infos through the „place“?

No it is not the same.

To begin, we have 3 layers of Sound LOW or Surround Layer, HIGHT Layer and TOP Layer

While ATMOS always is the TOP layer, 5.1 or 7.1 in a normal Setup without ATMOS is the LOW/Surround Layer.
That means 5.1 or 7.1 WITHOUT Atmos is L,C,R,SL,SR,SBL,SBR <- Back Surround or Rear Surround but it is all on the same layer.

the Hight Layer can also be a 7.1 Setup but is not automatically Atmos as 7.1 can be 5.1 base layer + 2 as  HIGHT  Layer eg. HR,HL <-Hight Right, Hight Left.

ATMOS will always mean TOP Speakers so the speaker is always directed DOWN to you.
Setups like these can also be used by AURO 3D which is not the same as ATMOS, what you mean with "AVR should get exact infos through the „place“ " is what AURO 3D does.

Atmos is in a way bound to speakers or lets say LAYERS, so the Sound of a Helicopter over your head has to come from above, there is no way to "just send it to the back surround" this is what brings a TOP layer audio to the LOW layer and you know how this would sound, rain from behind instead of from above ;) 

Auro is not bound to a fixed Audio setup and will locate where your speakers are.
Atmos is a fixed configuration like 5.2.2 or 7.2.4  etc. which means 5 low layer, 2 subwoofer and 2 top layer speaker or the same with 7 low layer speakers.

AURO supports almost infinite number of speakers (object based) <- Atmos is also called object based but the Setup is a bit more rigit while AURO really gives you full freedom in the ammount of speakers.

image.png.b26b1c98a2b3ba3ece6b26d8865c3762.png

image.png.d289e3803f09acaf917b4adb226af8f6.png
I hope i could explain it a bit and this makes it easier for you to understand it :) 

Edited by Painkiller8818
  • Thanks 1