Alternative Titles

Ninko
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Ninko

Hi,

When retrieving data from the movie database, why does Emby not retrieve the correct alternative title for your region?

An example, the movie "The Rundown (2003)" in the UK is called "Welcome to the Jungle", but Emby retrieves "The Rundown".

Hi, what metadata fetchers are enabled on the library and in what order?

Did you check to see what data your highest priority provider has?

Happy2Play
3 hours ago, Luke said:

@Happy2Play are you able to reproduce?

Do we use Alternate Titles or Translations?  There is no UK translation for this movie.

@Ninko What are your exact library language settings?  If not set per library check Settings-Library, Advanced tab.

Happy2Play

In my test the api does not return Alternate Names only titles provided via Translations.

But it does honor the filename lookup so Welcome to the Jungle (2003) = The Rundown (2003) as this is the Title

image.png.8f3c7e8dfe09f907eb22beed1fb082af.png

Now searching with a language that does have this translation will return that title.

"title": "Welcome to the Jungle",

Edited by Happy2Play

• Solution
Happy2Play

Hmm I had a issue of browser auto translating the page.  Language linking is correct just no translation for UK.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, Ninko said:

So is this a bug?

Thanks

Emby doesn't really use alternate title it uses Translations.  So someone is required to translate that Title to your language.  But Dev would have to comment more as the API only allows you to search Alternate title not return one ie requiring Translations.

Happy2Play

So my understanding is all of these alternate titles will return "The Rundown" unless you are querying a translated title.

image.thumb.png.9261c0605c7e814937811e39a3d6d6b5.png

Example of German translated title.  So a de-DE language query will retun this.

image.png.bfb14dec6488b8acfacfd28f47803d09.png

So in theory this can be supported via append_to_response=alternative_titles

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

So in theory this can be supported via append_to_response=alternative_titles

True with your magic pulling language from alternate title.  But what happens when there are multiple alternate titles as en-US provides?  So how would alternate title overide title?

append_to_response=alternative_titles,casts,releases,images,keywords,trailers&language=en-GB

Just now, Happy2Play said:

True with your magic pulling language from alternate title.  But what happens when there are multiple alternate titles as en-US provides?  So how would alternate title overide title?

append_to_response=alternative_titles,casts,releases,images,keywords,trailers&language=en-GB

It appears you need to look at the title type value. Some of them are working_title so we'd ignore those. In fact I think we'd ignore any that have a non-null type. It looks like no type = displayable title.

Ninko

As far as I can tell you can't add a en-UK translation because all English selections default to en-US, so from what your saying, Emby has no way of getting the correct title for my region?

Thanks

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Luke said:

It appears you need to look at the title type value. Some of them are working_title so we'd ignore those. In fact I think we'd ignore any that have a non-null type. It looks like no type = displayable title.

Looks like that would work