Subtitles and music playback issues

rustic_philosop

rustic_philosop

I recently switched from Plex and so far things are pretty good but I do have a couple issues.  My setup is as follows:

• Nvidia Shield running Emby server
  • Synology NAS which is media storage
  • Several Android TVs running Emby client
  • Several Roku TVs running Emby Client
  • Web Client

So, the issues specific to the Roku client are:

1. When playing video media I do not get a closed caption option (web and Android clients show a button for opening an interface to download captions).  I do not see the option either when at the show or episode screen prior to playing.
  2. When opening a music folder I am unable to play a folder - it immediately errors out.  Individual music tracks will play but not a folder (this works on the Android and web clients).
  3. Roku client seems to have more trouble loading media than the Android or web clients (very often the screen will sit at 13% for a while before jumping to 99% and playing)

I appreciate any help addressing these issues.

50 minutes ago, rustic_philosop said:

When playing video media I do not get a closed caption option (web and Android clients show a button for opening an interface to download captions).  I do not see the option either when at the show or episode screen prior to playing.

Hi and welcome.  The option to download subtitles directly in the app is not implemented yet in Roku.  We will get there.

51 minutes ago, rustic_philosop said:

When opening a music folder I am unable to play a folder - it immediately errors out.  Individual music tracks will play but not a folder (this works on the Android and web clients).

This was recently reported and is fixed in our development version so it will be fixed with the next app update.  A workaround is to hit the "play" button on your remote while the folder is highlighted on the previous screen (don't enter it).

52 minutes ago, rustic_philosop said:

Roku client seems to have more trouble loading media than the Android or web clients (very often the screen will sit at 13% for a while before jumping to 99% and playing)

The Roku player is provided by the device and is really targeted at streaming media so it doesn't have quite as much capability as some of the other platforms.  This means it usually needs more remuxing and transcoding than some of the others and can take a little longer to get going.  What is the format of your media?

Also, one other question - why not run the server on your NAS instead of the Shield?

rustic_philosop

Not sure I follow on the Roku capability - this is just the Roku app on the TV which I thought was built by Emby?  Wouldn't the focus of capabilities be the same as say the Android client?

The file types for my video content is all over the place TBH but the performance degradation is pretty consistent vs other clients in my house using the same server.

In terms of why the Shield vs the NAS: my shield has more transcoding horsepower than the Synology I am running so thats where I ran my Plex and now Emby server.

Android and Roku are two different operating systems. On Roku we have to use a Roku provided video player and so we're limited to what it supports.

So no, the capabilities would not be the same as Android, even on the same TV.

rustic_philosop

"So no, the capabilities would not be the same as Android, even on the same TV."

Sorry, do you mean on different TVs since my TVs are either Roku or Android but non run multiple operating systems on the same TV?

rustic_philosop

Is there an issue tracker where I can follow a feature (Roku CC) and be notified of release?

22 minutes ago, rustic_philosop said:

Is there an issue tracker where I can follow a feature (Roku CC) and be notified of release?

Hi.  You can follow the release notes for the app.  They are posted in both the main Roku forum and the testing one (for beta).